Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've just replaced the rear tyre at about 3800 miles. Left it in to a large tyre dealers who said it's the third supersport they've had in in 3 days. He basically said it's a bollicks for them because they have to take the exhaust off to get at the tyre And the second bike they had in, which was only 6 months old, had a retaining bolt for the exhaust snap when they were taking it off causing them to have to drill it out. And unfortunately with my bike, which is a year old, the bolt holding the upper part of the exhaust snapped as well as they tried to unscrew it too. He brought it in to show me and said he reckons it must be heat that has caused it to seize and that for such new bikes this shouldn't happen.
That sucks.

I have the Competition Werkes exhaust. I was thinking I'd have to remove the pipe but the wheel came off no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think I’ll be replacing the OEM tyres on the N1k with Rosso III’s. I thought they were just fantastic.

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a Rosso II, and a Rosso III. The III is just sitting here, has not been mounted, or ridden on yet. One of the differences is the III starts out with more rubber. I have a new II on the 848 Streetfighter now. That tire sticks like Velcro. It's fantastic to have that much grip, and the confidence that goes with it. I'm ashamed to say that I got only 1700 miles out of that rear tire, previously. I ride kind of aggressively. But geeze, not that hard. Maybe it's the roads? Hence the switch to the III when this current II goes away.

Is the III considered a Sport/Touring tire?

·
Registered
2 Posts
sticking with original tires

Thankfully my buddy pointed out my tires to me. 5,565 miles on Pirelli Diablo IIIs. After having read this thread I feel better that I got my money's worth. Not a lot of highway, mostly twisties. One track day. I will miss those finger licking strips but I guess I'll have to create new ones.

Have lots of history with the Dunlop Q3s but I think I'm going to stick with the Diablos.

Thanks for having this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just replaced with OEM

Got 9900km out of first rear tyre. Had about 1mm to wear indicators and then got a puncture a week before I had planned to replace. In hindsight would replace at 8000km unless looks like worn out sooner. Replaced with new Rosso III.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would say luck is on your side. go get a lottery ticket :smile2:
Yeah but Rhino your normal ride from garrage to out of your drive way is on one knee and elbow down hahaha I say I’ll get 8000 - 9000km just on normal road riding for me .. but deffo got to do some courses and get knee down “ just incase I need to one day on road” Then also maybe I can catch up with ya for a ride sometime..

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love bridgestones so may go for the S21s
I love sticky Bridgestone’s on my cars, but they get pretty short lives.

Any idea how long the S21s last?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love sticky Bridgestone’s on my cars, but they get pretty short lives.

Any idea how long the S21s last?[/QUOTE]

Think it depends on how and where you ride (i.e. road surface). When I ride the Smokies with my Aprilia it wears S21's. Get about 2500km max out of them. Got about 4.5km out of Rosso III on SSS and about 6k out of Road 5 on SSS. Most of the locals I ride with down south use S21's and get same mileage as Ape but are riding VFR's (although one is supercharged 😁). We ride fairly hard and fast for the area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah but Rhino your normal ride from garrage to out of your drive way is on one knee and elbow down hahaha I say I’ll get 8000 - 9000km just on normal road riding for me .. but deffo got to do some courses and get knee down “ just incase I need to one day on road” Then also maybe I can catch up with ya for a ride sometime..
Rhino gives new meaning to placing bike on side stand :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Around here, the Powers that Be, in their infinite wisdom, chip and seal highways! (Spray tar, then coat with tiny sized gravel) I may as well be riding on a wood rasp. God forbid, any one go down on that. It would shred them alive. I can't get 2500 miles out of a back tire.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Around here, the Powers that Be, in their infinite wisdom, chip and seal highways! (Spray tar, then coat with tiny sized gravel) I may as well be riding on a wood rasp. God forbid, any one go down on that. It would shred them alive. I can't get 2500 miles out of a back tire.
Something is wrong with the chip sealing if it doesn't wind out significantly smoothing out after a couple weeks. It should only be bad after install.

Reactions: hypermattard

·
Registered
366 Posts

A few weeks ago, i came around a corner, and up on a car stopped in the middle of a bridge, obviously admiring the splendid majesty of the pristine siletz river, and COMPLETELY FUCKING OBLIVIOUS to the fact that there may be other people actually traveling on the same road, at the same time, that they were. I saw them with plenty of time, so i was in the other lane when i went by, but then i cut back into my lane, went to straighten out, and remembered that my coworker had told me that they chip sealed all the bridges, but hadn't swept them yet. I had my little mark

marquez moment:surprise:, and rode out of it glad that i gained my initial riding experience in the dirt.

Edited for the second time to say, i just ordered set of diablo rosso corsa II's, with the rear being a 190/55.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
A few weeks ago, i came around a corner, and up on a car stopped in the middle of a bridge, obviously admiring the splendid majesty of the pristine siletz river, and COMPLETELY FUCKING OBLIVIOUS to the fact that there may be other people actually traveling on the same road, at the same time, that they were. I saw them with plenty of time, so i was in the other lane when i went by, but then i cut back into my lane, went to straighten out, and remembered that my coworker had told me that they chip sealed all the bridges, but hadn't swept them yet. I had my little mark

marquez moment:surprise:, and rode out of it glad that i gained my initial riding experience in the dirt.

Edited for the second time to say, i just ordered set of diablo rosso corsa II's, with the rear being a 190/55.
I suspect this grit a few have mentioned is for the ice and snow. I suspect ice is thicker near rivers and creeks. Also I suspect that stuff gets sprayed up and sandblasts vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,656 Posts
Apart from the major arterial roads all of our roads in Scotland get this treatment, they call it top dressing :mad:
The first week I had the Supersport I came on a section that had been newly done. It still hadn't been swept and was like riding on a sea of ball bearings :eek:
The result of this treatment is that, even after sweeping, swathes of gravel accumulate at the edges and between car tyre tracks, often at the apex of a corner so you have to keep a good eye out on country roads.

A week ago I was on the Isle of Skye where they must have the worst roads in the UK. Apart from the main road from Kyleakin, where there is a bridge from the mainland, to Portree, the main town, all the rest are covered in potholes that have been filled in so that there are areas where they all join together into a mass of lumps. Then to make matter worse they have been top dressed over the top so you can't see the lumpy sections coming. And some of the potholes are just that. I saw several a foot or more across that were 2" - 3" deep and in many cases full of water.
It seems that instead of mending the roads they just give them another coat of tar and gravel :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Literally after I made this post, I go out to the parking lot and my rear tire is completely flat (after riding it 2 hours earlier). It looks like the tire was so faded in certain spots that it just waiting for something to poke through. Once I got new tires I realized that the bike can turn in so much quicker than it did with these 10k mile tires. It's so hard to gauge when steering becomes significantly different than normal because it happens so gradually.

So what I'm trying to say is that just because the tires still have tread left doesn't mean they're good. I ended up going with Dunlop Q3+ since I liked the Q3s on my S1000R.

Riding on ice? >:)

10K is unprecedented. I think i might go 7-8k.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
...these 10k mile tires.
I agree with your point on tread left vs actually being a still usable tire, but I have to reiterate the astonishment on the fact that you got 10K on the stock Rosso's...?!?!?! :surprise: Wow, nicely done.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts