Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Has anyone tried the Michelin Road 5 on the SS?

I know when I mounted a Road4 rear on my SV650S, I had some issues with edge frip when on the gas (leaned over out of roundabouts for example), and the occasional minor slide. On the other hand, I mounted a 150 width tire (because I had it around) instead of the 160 it should have been, making the tire a bit stretched on the side wall, so not sure if that was partly to blame. Also, a mate runs the Road5s on his SuperDuke 990 (which has similar power to the SS939) with no apparent issues.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I’m having trouble with the search function it seems (especially on the mobile view). I’ll give that thread a look.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I’m having trouble with the search function it seems (especially on the mobile view). I’ll give that thread a look.
U r right on...the search function does not work well in the Mobile Version. It works very effectively in the Full Version.

The Road 5 is an excellent tire for sport touring...little more on the tour side than sport. Not quite as nimble as the Rosso III, but the 5 is an amazing tire in the wet and dry.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dunlop Road Smart

I'm the guy that mentioned the Road Smarts. I have 4000 miles on the rear and 500 on the front. I have no complaints on the rear. It has slipped only once: while accelerating hard while leaned over on an on-ramp at 70 mph. Rosso IIIs may also have slipped in that situation, but I doubt it. It looks like it will last well beyond the 5900 miles I got on the Rosso IIIs. Recently I joined a Streetfighter rider and we hammered some curves at 90 mph+ with absolutely no lack of confidence form my Road Smarts. I replaced the front prior to that ride and initially noticed a significantly different feel from the Rosso III front (this may have simply been a new tire vs. used tire comparo, I don't know). In any case the Road Smart felt much more "pointy" than the Rosso III front. In other words it seemed to tip in way faster than the Rosso III, but not in a good way, in an unstable way. I don't remember the Rosso III front ever feeling unstable. In any case, after 100 miles, either I got used to it or it became less unstable. Obviously from my experience riding with the Streetfighter guy, both front and rear feel planted in high speed sweepers.

So, in summary, I guess the verdict will remain out until I see the mileage I get out of the RoadSmarts. It sure seems as advertised: good grip (not quite as good as Rossos), better mileage than the Rosso IIIs. As way of reference I ride 60% commuting/30% twisties/8% touring/2% wheelies... at least that's this year. Probably not going on a long ride this year.

I plan to get Angel GTs next since they come highly recommended by a lot of riders who ride like I do. Also, "Pirelli" sounds sexier than "Dunlop." I kind of feel dirty riding Dunlops.

By the way, while getting my front changed a few weeks ago, I talked with a guy who was replacing the rear on his Yamaha MT-09 which he had purchased 30 days prior. He said he had put 4000 miles on his bike in the first month!! I don't remember the make of tire, but he admitted to wheelie-ing all the time and said that might have shortened his tire life. Good stuff.

Ride safe.
Here are my 3rd set of RoadSmart 3's with about 1,000 mls left in the rear. That will take them to around 6,500mls which is about my typical number.

Still smooth and round. No cupping, flat spots, or edges. And still very comfortable to the edge of the tread.... far enough for me. Results might vary if you do much highway pounding. Almost all my riding is on Colorado back roads.

Next set are already warming in.my garage.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I've been running Dunlop RS3 on my Guzzi Sport for a few years. Good tires. Better handling than Michelin Pilot Roads with even or better mileage and much $$ cheaper. Not sure how they would handle on the superior 939. I've gone through 3 rears of "Rossi 3" (that's what my tech calls Diablo Rosso 3) at 13k miles. Since my front is still good, I'll go another "Rossi 3" and figure it out when I buy a full set.

I am getting a new front RS3 on my Sport for $60 and a rear "Rossi 3" on the 939 for $155. Of course I'll pay for mounting and then it will even out.

I might go for a set of RS3. They handle good and will last longer that the "Rossis". But I do love the handling on the 939 so I'll have another 3-4k miles to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My goodness, I'm going nowhere fast. My "Rossi 3" tire has been missing for nearly two weeks, they're supposed to be shipped from Dallas, about 4 hours to drive. Now my Powerbronze windshield has been in a FedEx warehouse in Stansted ES (somewhere in England) for 10 days now.

My tire should've been here the day following my order and the windshield was supposed to be on my door last Monday.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My goodness, I'm going nowhere fast. My "Rossi 3" tire has been missing for nearly two weeks, they're supposed to be shipped from Dallas, about 4 hours to drive. Now my Powerbronze windshield has been in a FedEx warehouse in Stansted ES (somewhere in England) for 10 days now.

My tire should've been here the day following my order and the windshield was supposed to be on my door last Monday.
Stansted Airport is just North of London and is a major airport serving the capital. Parcel traffic across the pond does seem to be extraordinarily slow at the moment. I ordered some guitar pickups from Curtis Novak. The company were really snappy at building and shipping the pickups and then they got stuck in a very similar limbo from the US to the UK.
They seemed to be at LAX for about 6 weeks. All in all took about 8 weeks for them to actually arrive.
My sympathies are with you...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
my goodness. two weeks to get tires from Dallas (and not gotten) and months for a windshield from UK? I think the COVID has just taken it all down.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hope you didn't wait until the last minute. I typically have mine ordered before the existing set are at half life. The same with chains and sprockets. All standing by ready.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I passed the wear bars. But I ordered the tires 12 days ago from Dallas. I am trying to make 13k miles, so about 80 miles to go. Unfortunately, I was planning to meet some riders in Altoona KS for "calf fries" on Saturday and then "party" at the Super 8 in Chanute.

Why I would do such a dumb thing during a pandemic makes no sense. Perhaps as stupid as thinking I could get tires from the closest big city in a horse drawn wagon?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I passed the wear bars. But I ordered the tires 12 days ago from Dallas. I am trying to make 13k miles, so about 80 miles to go. Unfortunately, I was planning to meet some riders in Altoona KS for "calf fries" on Saturday and then "party" at the Super 8 in Chanute.

Why I would do such a dumb thing during a pandemic makes no sense. Perhaps as stupid as thinking I could get tires from the closest big city in a horse drawn wagon?
Maybe for the best then. Missing the 'party' could be a lifesaver ;)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Maybe for the best then. Missing the 'party' could be a lifesaver ;)
I am less concerned about a few of us codgers drinking beer and smoking cigars by the pool in the evening than I am having dinner in a crowded diner to eat calf fries. BTW- I've never eaten them before.

And yes, there is lots of denial about the severity of this which bothers me quite a bit.

Cycle Gear has a DR 2 for $120 in stock. From what I can tell it's an inferior tire vs DR 3, primarily due to mileage. I may end up with a "Rossi 2".

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am less concerned about a few of us codgers drinking beer and smoking cigars by the pool in the evening than I am having dinner in a crowded diner to eat calf fries. BTW- I've never eaten them before.

And yes, there is lots of denial about the severity of this which bothers me quite a bit.

Cycle Gear has a DR 2 for $120 in stock. From what I can tell it's an inferior tire vs DR 3, primarily due to mileage. I may end up with a "Rossi 2".
Like I said. I found the 3's and stopped looking. Perfect tire for the bike, rider, location. Change any one of three and it might not be.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Like I said. I found the 3's and stopped looking. Perfect tire for the bike, rider, location. Change any one of three and it might not be.
Well it looks I'm getting a Road Smart 3 on the SS. It appears that the "Rossi 3" rear tire won't make it by the weekend.

He's willing to sell me the rear for a little more than he was selling the RS3 front for my Guzzi Sport, (like $175 for the front & rear RS3 set + install). So I dropped of my Guzzi for the front and pulled the rear wheel off the SS. Hopefully he'll have it all mounted soon. I've been riding the Dunlops RS tires on my Guzzi for 7 or 8 years. I am still a little skeptical if they stick as well as the Rossos but I'd like to get more mileage.

Oddly enough, FedEx e-mailed me that the Powerbronze windshield is due delivery to my house today.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well it looks I'm getting a Road Smart 3 on the SS. It appears that the "Rossi 3" rear tire won't make it by the weekend.

He's willing to sell me the rear for a little more than he was selling the RS3 front for my Guzzi Sport, (like $175 for the front & rear RS3 set + install). So I dropped of my Guzzi for the front and pulled the rear wheel off the SS. Hopefully he'll have it all mounted soon. I've been riding the Dunlops RS tires on my Guzzi for 7 or 8 years. I am still a little skeptical if they stick as well as the Rossos but I'd like to get more mileage.

Oddly enough, FedEx e-mailed me that the Powerbronze windshield is due delivery to my house today.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have them on my ST1050, VFR, and of course the SSS. I'll be interested to here what you think.

koi

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Keith, I've ridden those tires for years on my V11Sport. Liked them but considered them more Sport Touring. Anyway the Rossi was showing cord, had to get a new rear. I don't think the last two DR3 lasted like the first one. I was actually considering ordering the Ducati spec DR3.

Just got the rear RS3 put on my SS. I'll give a go tomorrow.

Now I see my windshield is delayed :mad: again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello

I got around 7000 kms from rear stock tyre, now thinking of using michelin road 5 as replacement.

I normally ride on straight roads, not much twisties around here. Mileage is my primary concern.

Please share your experiences or feedback.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
@shirish.kumbhar Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

You might check out this thread, among others...

·
Registered
5 Posts
@shirish.kumbhar Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

You might check out this thread, among others...
Thank you 👍👍👍

81 - 100 of 109 Posts