Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a shame there's no centre stand on the supersport. How are you supposed to adjust and lube your chain if your touring?

I've just bought an Abba stand ready for the bikes arrival. I've owned them before and they are a great addition. Means cleaning is easier as is chain maintenance. A vertical bike takes up less room in the gagrage too. Amazingly they already have the adaptors in stock.

Superbike Stand - Abba Stands, UK

·
Registered
539 Posts
Its a shame there's no centre stand on the supersport. How are you supposed to adjust and lube your chain if your touring?

I've just bought an Abba stand ready for the bikes arrival. I've owned them before and they are a great addition. Means cleaning is easier as is chain maintenance. A vertical bike takes up less room in the gagrage too. Amazingly they already have the adaptors in stock.

Superbike Stand - Abba Stands, UK
My last two bikes have been SSSA with no center stand and I've had no problem maintaining the chains, but neither required adjustments. Chains are much more durable than they used to be.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Steve you probably already know this solution, but for those who might not. Unlikely the chain would need adjusting when touring because as part of the routine maintenance that should have been checked and set before setting out. Some small increase in slack while on the road that may occur wouldn't be a problem.

To lube the chain on the road is easy, if you get a helper. Probably doesn't really need lubing as that was also done a few days before the trip, but that surface rust appearing after those couple days riding in the rain is a little off putting. On a flat surface, put the bike in neutral on the side stand. Get the helper to stand on the sidestand side of the bike. The helper lifts the rear wheel of the ground by just pulling the very rear of the bike over toward themselves pivoting it up on the side stand. Very easy to do, and very little effort to hold it up while you spin the wheel and give the chain a shot of your favorite product.

What it you don't have a 'helper'. Any place I ever stay overnight is usually popular with other riders. I've been asked several times could I help, and always glad to assist a fellow rider. No doubt most others fell the same, they'll be happy to assist as long as its quick, and don't mind at all as its a reason to meet a fellow traveler.

·
Super Moderator
6,440 Posts
Or just lube, walk the bike a bit, lube, walk the bike, etc, pretty easy.

And adjusting the chain usually should be done with the weight of the bike on the tires, rather rear tire off the ground on a stand of some sort.

Paddock stands are useful though for other reasons. I have one for the Scrambler that I'll hopefully be able to use for the SS too.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm well aware how to oil a chain on a bike without a centre stand, but I do not like tilting the bike over on the side stand. The're not made for that and the other bummer is the chain is on the left side which makes it even more awkward.

As I said it makes life easier when cleaning the bike if it's upright and you can rotate both wheels, I also need the bike upright in my garage for storage. The Abba will do just fine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I learned this past weekend that newer Ducati bikes no longer have the traditional thick engine cases but thinner engine cases by a new process which leads to lighter engine cases. This was told to us in a maintenance class taught by a certified Ducati mechanic. Suffice to say it is a BAD idea to load up that side stand, even sit on it with side stand down as some owners do to take a phone call or sip their espresso (let alone 2 up with side stand down!). Not only does the mount screw come loose but over time the area around the mounting gets looser and looser and can penetrate the engine case. I've yet to confirm this through a search though the web, but it may be worth a confirmation if one is going to try to oil their chain tilting their bike on the side stand, which is plain ridiculous IMHO. On the road, I oil the chain by pushing the bike forward little by little. It takes more time but it works just fine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I learned this past weekend that newer Ducati bikes no longer have the traditional thick engine cases but thinner engine cases by a new process which leads to lighter engine cases. .......
Been that way for quite a while, which is why I said it was not a good idea to tilt a Duc onto the sidestand.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Been that way for quite a while, which is why I said it was not a good idea to tilt a Duc onto the sidestand.

FWIW: the process is Vacural vacuum die casting, images of failure and write ups can be seen by googling "vacural ducati engine case failure side stand."

·
Registered
349 Posts

FWIW: the process is Vacural vacuum die casting, images of failure and write ups can be seen by googling "vacural ducati engine case failure side stand."
Pretty sure my point was obvious. Not sure what your point was with that post?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pretty sure my point was obvious. Not sure what your point was with that post?
My statements go back to perhaps provide more context to John's post about why not to weigh down the side stand. No, not that obvious IMHO. In fact, I was told by a dealer today that Japanese bikes (particularly Yamaha) have side stands attached to the frame, allowing kickstand turning.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Steeve
I've also just bought an Abba stand but the Supersport fitting is round whereas the hole on the frame into which it fits is serrated and it won't fit. Your advice please.
Cheers

·
Registered
422 Posts
My garage has chock stands bolted to the floor to park bikes into, so no need for any stands, just ride into the chock stand and walk away.
I will use the paddock stands from my 848 on the Supersports when the arrive, but just to clean the rear wheel and lube the chain.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Steeve
I've also just bought an Abba stand but the Supersport fitting is round whereas the hole on the frame into which it fits is serrated and it won't fit. Your advice please.
Cheers
The adapters are round and if you have the right ones they just fit in

·
Registered
298 Posts
The adapters are round and if you have the right ones they just fit in

Thanks. Mine are too large to fit, they appear to have sent the wrong ones. I've contacted ABBA New Zealand (the supplier to Australia) and hope it gets resolved soon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine arrived last week
But not had chance to try,in France at the moment doing the D-Day sites.
Back home end of week so will check then.
Parts have arrived to mount the sat Nav so i plan to fit that .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts