Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked it up over the weekend from Gold Coast motorsports in LI. I actually took the demo bike home with me as I couldn't wait any longer for a new white S to arrive and the dealer was kind enough to offer me the demo bike as a purchasing option, I ecstatically obliged. Yes I have no patience, but I'm sure most of you can relate. On the bright side of things, with buying the demo bike I was able to get a small price break on it and also it already had about 100 miles on it, which means I'm 1/6 of the way done with the break-in period!

Here are some critiques I would mention about the Supersport:

After picking up the bike, the first thing I did notice on my ride home was how buzzy the mirrors were. Coming from an 848 evo, it does feel nice to have mirrors you can actually use to see behind you, but the vibrations did concern me a bit. I must say, however, that since that first day I haven't really noticed the vibrations anymore. I don't know if I got used to it or if something happened while I was adjusting them but they don't seem to be the focal point of my ride anymore and I actually have been able to use them successfully on my day to day commute.

Another thing I have been noticing as of late, especially since the weather is warming up here in NY, is the heat that the bike is putting out from underneath the seat/engine area. Again, coming from an 848, it is something that I am already used to, in fact it doesn't even compare as sitting on the 848 was completely unbearable at times on a hot summer day. But I must admit that I was a bit surprised since I didn't see too much people on the forums complaining about excessive heat coming from this bike. Still nothing that dramatically bothers me.

The power and throttle responsive is something I have to get used to. The bike is very quick and torquey, but you have to give it some good throttle twist to get that response. I guess coming from an 848, I was used to having serious power with the slight flick of the wrist. Also I seem to keep letting go of the throttle unexpectedly which in turn causes the bike to jerk and spook the crap out of me, learning curve I guess. I've read somewhere that the ride by wire is something you have to get used to. These are things that I was well aware of before I purchased the bike, as I needed something I can use to commute with day to day that won't destroy my back in the process and this fits the bill perfectly, so I can't really complain, but for anyone coming from a Superbike I'm sure they can relate.

With that being said, the positives on this bike outweigh any negatives. Everything that has been mentioned in the forums and reviews are true. The Supersport is so agile and nimble thanks to the Ohlins suspension and chasis, it really performs through twists and turns on the road with ease. It is such a comfortable bike as well, with the positioning of the handle bars and pegs and the plush seat, I can see myself doing long distance rides with no problem. The quick shifter is such an amazing feature to have, it took me some getting used to at first but now I honestly can't see myself having another motorcycle without it. It makes shifting so effortless and enjoyable. The electronics package, fuel consumption, braking power, LED DRLs, exhaust sound, design and looks and character are all fantastic on this bike .... the list can go on and on.

All in all I am very happy with my decision to purchase this bike and I look forward to future endeavors with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy it for those of us still waiting on their bikes! :-( Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Do you feel the heat mainly when stopped or all the time?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations! Definitely looks stunning. Plan on modifying anything yet?
Thanks! Yes, the first couple of things on my list include getting a fender eliminator kit and possibly tinting the windshield. I'm still contemplating whether I want the Akra slip-ons or if I should wait and see what other options come out in the near future.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ducati_Ed

I'm in Hawaii (80-85) Degree weather and the heat was an issue for me as well. Stop and go traffic rides were not fun. I reached temperatures as high as 226. I now have 1250 miles on the bike and it seems to run much cooler and I rarely notice the heat. Granted I might be getting adjusted to the bike as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Multistrada will heat up to 219 degrees (which is when the fans come on) if I'm moving less than 45 miles an hour and the temps are over 80.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Picked it up over the weekend from Gold Coast motorsports in LI. I actually took the demo bike home with me as I couldn't wait any longer for a new white S to arrive and the dealer was kind enough to offer me the demo bike as a purchasing option, I ecstatically obliged. Yes I have no patience, but I'm sure most of you can relate. On the bright side of things, with buying the demo bike I was able to get a small price break on it and also it already had about 100 miles on it, which means I'm 1/6 of the way done with the break-in period!

Here are some critiques I would mention about the Supersport:

After picking up the bike, the first thing I did notice on my ride home was how buzzy the mirrors were. Coming from an 848 evo, it does feel nice to have mirrors you can actually use to see behind you, but the vibrations did concern me a bit. I must say, however, that since that first day I haven't really noticed the vibrations anymore. I don't know if I got used to it or if something happened while I was adjusting them but they don't seem to be the focal point of my ride anymore and I actually have been able to use them successfully on my day to day commute.

Another thing I have been noticing as of late, especially since the weather is warming up here in NY, is the heat that the bike is putting out from underneath the seat/engine area. Again, coming from an 848, it is something that I am already used to, in fact it doesn't even compare as sitting on the 848 was completely unbearable at times on a hot summer day. But I must admit that I was a bit surprised since I didn't see too much people on the forums complaining about excessive heat coming from this bike. Still nothing that dramatically bothers me.

The power and throttle responsive is something I have to get used to. The bike is very quick and torquey, but you have to give it some good throttle twist to get that response. I guess coming from an 848, I was used to having serious power with the slight flick of the wrist. Also I seem to keep letting go of the throttle unexpectedly which in turn causes the bike to jerk and spook the crap out of me, learning curve I guess. I've read somewhere that the ride by wire is something you have to get used to. These are things that I was well aware of before I purchased the bike, as I needed something I can use to commute with day to day that won't destroy my back in the process and this fits the bill perfectly, so I can't really complain, but for anyone coming from a Superbike I'm sure they can relate.

With that being said, the positives on this bike outweigh any negatives. Everything that has been mentioned in the forums and reviews are true. The Supersport is so agile and nimble thanks to the Ohlins suspension and chasis, it really performs through twists and turns on the road with ease. It is such a comfortable bike as well, with the positioning of the handle bars and pegs and the plush seat, I can see myself doing long distance rides with no problem. The quick shifter is such an amazing feature to have, it took me some getting used to at first but now I honestly can't see myself having another motorcycle without it. It makes shifting so effortless and enjoyable. The electronics package, fuel consumption, braking power, LED DRLs, exhaust sound, design and looks and character are all fantastic on this bike .... the list can go on and on.

All in all I am very happy with my decision to purchase this bike and I look forward to future endeavors with it.
Would you be willing to post the price you paid your bike on the pricing thread?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you be willing to post the price you paid your bike on the pricing thread?
Sure, I paid $500 off MSRP. Add the outrages NY taxes and fees to the equation and I paid approx. 17K for the bike.

I'm glad you're happy with your new bike.......
Thanks Steeve. I'm still getting used to some of the things I mentioned but overall I am very happy with it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sure, I paid $500 off MSRP. Add the outrages NY taxes and fees to the equation and I paid approx. 17K for the bike.

Thanks Steeve. I'm still getting used to some of the things I mentioned but overall I am very happy with it
Congrats and welcome to the club!
It would seem many of us have some of the same observations. I'm coming off a Monster, so have been somewhat used to heat coming off the bike - though on the SuperSport the heat seems to be coming more from under the seat, whereas on the Monster it wafted up more in my chest area. Has not been terribly noticeable until yesterday, where the mercury hit 90 here in Boston - and things got a bit toasty at stops or in slow traffic.
As for mirror vibration - I'm a little stumped as to what the big deal is here - is there any bike where mirrors don't vibrate a bit?!?

Enjoy your new bike and be careful out there!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club!
though on the SuperSport the heat seems to be coming more from under the seat, whereas on the Monster it wafted up more in my chest area. Has not been terribly noticeable until yesterday, where the mercury hit 90 here in Boston - and things got a bit toasty at stops or in slow traffic.
Its not directly under the seat like the panigale. The vertical engine head of the L is where the seat meets the tank. Which is what you are probably feeling.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Its not directly under the seat like the panigale. The vertical engine head of the L is where the seat meets the tank. Which is what you are probably feeling.
Likely a combination of the vertical and the exhaust header, anyway I don't get the heat like others mention. Yes I know there's a 937cc engine under my chest but it's really not that bad. I suppose coming from a inline 4 water cooled then the slightest heat would attract one's attention but seriously the heat is nothing to write about. It is nothing like the panigale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts