Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I have been following the separate discussion on the OEM grips, but do not want to hijack the conversation.

Now that I have decided to keep my SS, and as I close in on the 600 mile service, I am deciding what upgrades I want to have done at the same time as the service. The 14T front sprocket is first on the list and already on its way to my house. I have also been thinking of heated grips, but am somewhat conflicted. I have an old Gerbing heated jacket, pants and gloves, and everything still works just fine. The gloves are ready to be replaced, and I am trying to decide b/n a new set of Gerbing heated gloves ($120) or the installation of heated grips. Given the cost of the heated grips (plus whatever I may be charged for the installation), I am leaning toward new gloves. The grips do look very convenient since you don't have to plug in each glove and then tuck the wiring away whenever you want to use them. For those of you who have experience with both, please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Heated gloves are warmer, heated grips are more convenient. I like to wear thin racing/sport gloves with effective armor and sliders. The heated grips allow me to do so down to the low 40's.

I have both for my snowmobile. I use the heated gloves for trail riding. Then switch to thinner gloves and heated grips for the powder.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had heated grips fitted. They're not as hot as BMW ones, but were perfectly fine with semi-winter gloves down to and just below freezing point for full day touring.

If you've got more than one bike then the gloves would make sense.

Last Thursday and Friday I went on a 500 mile ride with my touring buddies - temperature went between 6c and 22c and I only packed my standard gloves. With the heated grips I didn't need anything else.

I've never used heated gloves or clothing, but imagine they're a hassle for charging etc. The grips are always there when you need them.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, which is what I kind of expected, convenience at a higher cost vs. more warmth for less $. I do have two bikes and a bunch of off road vehicles, so the heated gear gets used regardless during the winter. I am just thinking that getting on my bike and not having to fuss with the gloves (the jacket is not such a hassle) would be a nice change. Then again, I have a bunch of mods I want to do to my XT250. Gotta love first world problems.

LowRyter, I have a 2019, which seems to have the neutral issue worked out. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
I have battery operated heated gloves, each glove has a small battery.

They work for about an hour on the warmest setting, which seems fine for -2C. The other settings extend battery life, but I haven't tried them for long enough to know how much. The owner guide reckoned 21/2 to 3 hours on the green setting.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
I have battery operated heated gloves too, that work well.

Although have had heated grips on prior bikes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hadn’t considered battery operated gloves. Is the battery contained within the glove, or do you store the battery elsewhere and have a connection to the glove? Ed, since you have had the battery operated gloves and grips, how would you compare the two? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
I hadn’t considered battery operated gloves. Is the battery contained within the glove, or do you store the battery elsewhere and have a connection to the glove? Ed, since you have had the battery operated gloves and grips, how would you compare the two? Thanks!
The battery operated gloves are fine for my purposes riding year round in temps as low as freezing and occasionally below.

But my winter rides are usually nearby and about 1 hour, touring and longer rides for warmer weather. And I don’t commute. So it also depends on your winter riding habits.

Generally, I’ve found on other bikes the heated grips get hotter than the gloves. And of course the heat is from the inside of your palm rather with gloves usually from the outside.

Here’s a review I did on Joe Rocket vs Highway 21 gloves. Pics are gone, but write up still there. I preferred the Highway 21 gloves.

https://www.ducatisupersport939.net/forum/697-helmets-gear-protection-apparel-discussion/9338-joe-rocket-burners.html

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have Gerbing gloves and need them for low temperatures. I use my heated grips for cool temperatures. I find having both is great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I have both the Ducati heated grips and battery operated gloves. I got the gloves when I was commuting through winter (on a different bike) and They were great when the weather is really cold. They provide a much better all-round heat than the grips. The grips on the SS don't get very hot IMHO - no better than warm. I'd sum up the pro's & con's as follows. If you want something convenient to take the chill off the occasional ride and don't want the hassle of charging or connecting the wiring for the gloves then go with the heated grips. For the best warmth, I'd say go with the gloves. If I was to fit heated grips I'm not sure I'd shell-out for the Ducati grips - too expensive & not warm enough. I'd probably fit a set of Oxford heated grips - much cheaper and warmer in my experience.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
The battery is about 11/2 x 11/2 x 1/4 inches. Sits in a little pocket in the cuff (on the inside, below the wrist). Hardly noticeable. Batteries are unplugged and removed for charging, the charger has 2 connectors so you charge both at once.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the OEM grips. They'll keep you from getting frost bite, but I wouldn't say they get hot, especially if you're wearing thick winter gloves. They're nice if you're wearing summer gloves and it gets a little cooler than you expected though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the input. I had not considered the battery operated glove option before, but after reading these posts and doing some more research, I think I am going to go that route. I like to ski and get outdoors in the winter, but getting cold hands can take a lot of fun out of the great outdoors. I would seriously consider Gerbing's hybrid 12V glove, since they would hook up to my riding suit and could be used independently. However, it looks like they stopped making that glove and finding batteries for them seems to be a problem, so I am thinking of Zanier GTX's and Outdoor Research Lucent's. Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
@Mr. Bill I don't recall any Members having either of those gloves...as get one, please let us know your thoughts!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will definitely do that Ed. You might have to wait a bit for that review as it is 90 degrees outside right now. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got some battery operated gloves and a vest. But I didn’t get the GTX or Lucent gloves. I went with Gerbing Gyde 7V heated garments. I ended up going with Gerbing because my old stuff still works really well and their featherlight gloves were on sale for a third of the price of the others. Plus the batteries are interchangeable. The 7 volt stuff is great for casual use but not great for motorcycle use. I missed the heated sleeves when using the vest and the 7 volt battery gloves are just not nearly as warm as the 12 volt gloves. I later read that the Gerbing stuff isn’t as warm after the family business was sold to Gyde. It certainly seems to be the case with the 7 volt gear. I’m still happy with the purchase. The dexterity with the featherlight gloves is very high and I can even wear the vest under my suit jacket. I will just keep using the old gear for motorcycling.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts