Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
I have done 5200 miles on my 2018 SSS and its not used a drop of oil, spot on after 1st service, & the level is still exactly where it was when last serviced in May..no top ups hear

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It might be nice to do a poll. Again, I am not really complaining about a qrt every 3-4k miles but will say it's pretty amazing to see no consumption for some at 9k. BTW all my other bikes are 18-21 years old and air cooled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm only 834 miles since my first oil change and my oil is still just above the halfway mark on the sightglass. Perfect. Do you guys show any signs of burning oil...like deposits on the pipe? Anything? I know @fishoutofh20 said he showed no signs, but did anyone else?
Unfortunately, I seem to have an oil consumption issue with no visual signs as to what might be wrong. I have no noticeable leaks, bike does not smoke and there are no signs of oil on the exhaust pipes. I currently have 1850 miles on the bike. Went for a 400 mile ride yesterday and burned half a liter of oil. Needless to say I am really bummed about this. I am taking my bike to the dealer so they can check it out. I will let you guys know what they find.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've been burning about a quart at about 4k miles. My bike shows no signs of any major issues. During that time, I was maintaining the oil level in the middle of the sight glass, now I am targeting at the full mark on the upper part of the sight glass. After about 1k miles I can't see any visible drop (I also went from full synth Shell to Motul 5100 blend).

Certainly the oil usage describe by CS (above) seems excessive. Hopefully a warranty issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
Unfortunately, I seem to have an oil consumption issue with no visual signs as to what might be wrong. I have no noticeable leaks, bike does not smoke and there are no signs of oil on the exhaust pipes. I currently have 1850 miles on the bike. Went for a 400 mile ride yesterday and burned half a liter of oil. Needless to say I am really bummed about this. I am taking my bike to the dealer so they can check it out. I will let you guys know what they find.
Oil consumption can depend on the style of riding. Were you traveling at high engine RPM and high road speed for extended periods of time during the 400 mile ride?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oil consumption can depend on the style of riding. Were you traveling at high engine RPM and high road speed for extended periods of time during the 400 mile ride?
Nothing unusual. I cruised at around 75 MPH on open stretches of road, went through a lot of small towns, and accelerated to higher RPM's when passing. I was between 4-5K RPM most of the day. None of my other bikes have used oil like that. Called the shop and they agree that using over half a liter of oil over 400 miles is excessive. I'll be dropping it off with them for diagnoses

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nothing unusual. I cruised at around 75 MPH on open stretches of road, went through a lot of small towns, and accelerated to higher RPM's when passing. I was between 4-5K RPM most of the day. None of my other bikes have used oil like that. Called the shop and they agree that using over half a liter of oil over 400 miles is excessive. I'll be dropping it off with them for diagnoses
Sounds like the way I. My bike doesn't use any measure amount between oil changes. I hope they can sort it out for you.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I might ask if you're checking the oil while mounted on a rear stand with the bike upright?

just another variable to consider.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
If just the rear wheel is on a stand (and not the front), the bike won’t be level, and reading won’t be completely accurate.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If just the rear wheel is on a stand (and not the front), the bike won’t be level, and reading won’t be completely accurate.
The how is it possible to check the oil?

I would think that the oil level might slant down towards the front a little but but still beeasy enough to read.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There might be a small error, but it shouldn't be a problem if Ed is consistent. I just stand on the right side and lift the machine off it's side stand until it's vertical. Then I lower it carefully back on to the side stand with a very slight rearward movement. That way I know it won't roll forward off the stand. The first few times you might want to have someone stand on the left.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
There might be a small error, but it shouldn't be a problem if Ed is consistent. I just stand on the right side and lift the machine off it's side stand until it's vertical. Then I lower it carefully back on to the side stand with a very slight rearward movement. That way I know it won't roll forward off the stand. The first few times you might want to have someone stand on the left.
Yes, and with it in gear...

There is also slight variations, couple mm, hot vs cold...

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
The how is it possible to check the oil?

I would think that the oil level might slant down towards the front a little but but still beeasy enough to read.
I use a piece of wood under the side stand that sets the bike up level in the 2 axes. I keep a hand on it just in case.

Once you do this a couple of times and get the oil level right you can put it on a rear stand and recheck the oil level to get a 'compensated' level. With my rear stand, there is a fair difference.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I use a piece of wood under the side stand that sets the bike up level in the 2 axes. I keep a hand on it just in case.

Once you do this a couple of times and get the oil level right you can put it on a rear stand and recheck the oil level to get a 'compensated' level. With my rear stand, there is a fair difference.
what is the difference? Does it show low or high.

I'd think it would just tilt slightly to the front and the middle of the slope would likely be the level. To honest, I never noticed much of a slope. o_O

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
what is the difference? Does it show low or high.

I'd think it would just tilt slightly to the front and the middle of the slope would likely be the level. To honest, I never noticed much of a slope. o_O
Being as the stand raises the back of the bike and the sight glass is at the front of the sump it shows high when on the stand. With my stand it is significant, but it will depend on how high anyone's stand will lift the back of the bike.

As I said, if you have a look with the bike sat on its suspension and upright (how the oil is supposed to be checked) and then compare the level with the bike on a paddock stand you will know the comparative levels for checking from now on. I feel more comfortable doing it using a paddock stand...

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Being as the stand raises the back of the bike and the sight glass is at the front of the sump it shows high when on the stand. With my stand it is significant, but it will depend on how high anyone's stand will lift the back of the bike.

As I said, if you have a look with the bike sat on its suspension and upright (how the oil is supposed to be checked) and then compare the level with the bike on a paddock stand you will know the comparative levels for checking from now on. I feel more comfortable doing it using a paddock stand...
You're saying that it appears high on the side rear stand? I'd like some confirmation.

It would certainly look low on the side stand even if it was boosted up on a shim. It's one thing to look low front to back but another from side to side. The kick stand side would make it look low since it's down hill from the sight glass. The rear stand is front to to back, so I'd think that an accurate reading could be derived.

Unless I have more info, I'll stay with the rear stand. I may be wrong but I'd like a little more info why I would be.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I only get 5000 - 6000 km's between yearly services and I'm happy to say my bike hasn't used any oil in the 3 years I've owned it.

As for checking the level, I just lie down beside the bike with the site glass right in front of my eyes. I grab the rear footpeg bracket and pull the bike up to the balance point. Once I've checked the level I gently let the bike drop back onto the stand. You might worry about pulling the bike over too far and having it fall on you but you'll be surprised how easy it is to balance. Make sure the front wheel is pointing straight ahead before you start.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts