Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have an oil leak coming from my filter I wiped it up before I could take pictures. I did my 900mile oil change myself using the Ducati filter and recommended shell oil. Not a huge leak but enough I could see and tell been about 1600 miles since oil change. I started the bike and it seemed like the filter was moving up and down with giving it a bit of throttle. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
@Connorsesso Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

I haven’t noticed since 2017 any reported instances of oil filters leaking. However, if they’re not tightened enough, they will loosen from engine vibrations. This happened to me once on my Scrambler, actually, but not SS.

Btw, do you put a film of oil on the oil filter‘s rubber oil seal before tightening it?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,672 Posts
They will also leak if they are overtightened and the rubber seal distorts. This happened to my Scrambler at it's first service by the dealer. Possibly the seal hadn't been oiled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They will also leak if they are overtightened and the rubber seal distorts. This happened to my Scrambler at it's first service by the dealer. Possibly the seal hadn't been oiled.
@Connorsesso Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

I haven’t noticed since 2017 any reported instances of oil filters leaking. However, if they’re not tightened enough, they will loosen from engine vibrations. This happened to me once on my Scrambler, actually, but not SS.

Btw, do you put a film of oil on the oil filter‘s rubber oil seal before tightening it?

Yes I did run a ring of new oil on the seal I do that on everything I also like to pre fill it with oil
Possible I didn’t tourqe to spec or over tightened

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have a look at the layshaft seal, I was convinced it was leaking from the filter, until I sprayed talc around the area and it showed it was from the layshaft...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Point me to the location of the lay shaft seal, please. My 2018 SSS leaked a small amount yesterday and today. I checked usual suspects, drain plugs, filter. Was able to slightly tighten filter. Idled for a while and could not find any leak. Maybe it just wanted to mark my new concrete!

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
So if that’s the source, should be visible when belt cover removed? In my case, I can only see evidence close to bottom of engine, so far.
if leaks again, will do oil change and install new oil filter.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
775 Posts
Not sure, but wouldn’t lay shaft leak be visible where belt cover meets engine case? Maybe I need to remove to check.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Yes... see last pic in post #1 from thread inserted above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts