Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
950 seems to be leaking oil. I'll have a better chance to get under the bike tomorrow hopefully to take a good look but here are some photos seems to be dripping onto the exhaust while riding and inside right fairing. Anybody else have this issue and know where it's coming from? Hopefully it's nothing major as I can't get in to service till Sept 22nd.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Since you can't find the source of the leak, here's a trick. Clean everything up, then spray some talcum powder over the effected area. You should be able to trace back to the source of the leak in the path that the oil stains the powder.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi MJDutch,

Have you checked the drain bolts (one for belly pan drainage, the other underneath the oil screen mesh) and the oil filter itself? I have found the Ducati Supersport unusually sensitive to the torque applied to the oil filter. More than once, I've found that the filter leaked even though the filter was torqued beyond just "hand tight". Consequently I would see oil "piddles" underneath the bike if left running and parked on the side-stand. I also saw oil streaming similar to your pictures on the underside of the exhaust. After tightening the filter a bit more with a strap wrench, the problem would go away.

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at it now the filter is most likely, haven't tried talc yet. Gotta go get me a strap wrench. Here's some more photos of what I'm seeing.

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To update I had the bike in the dealership on Wednesday, they were able to take me in promptly but it was a laymans look much like my own as their tech is gone this week. They tightened all plugs to spec and said the oil filter was loose. It still leaked for them after a start up test so they re tightened and took it for another run at which point there was no further evidence of a leak. I took the bike straight home and no leak overnight but went to take the bike out this AM and it was leaking again when started on side stand. Will have to wait for the proper tech to look at it, hopefully they can fit me in next week. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Filter gasket was not sealed properly and may be deformed at this point. When is the service due? I'd just have them change the oil and filter. When the filter is replaced it is best to apply a thin film of oil to the gasket so it can seal in properly without grabbing and "fluting" or wrinkling against the metal.

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Filter gasket was not sealed properly and may be deformed at this point. When is the service due? I'd just have them change the oil and filter. When the filter is replaced it is best to apply a thin film of oil to the gasket so it can seal in properly without grabbing and "fluting" or wrinkling against the metal.
Thanks for the prompt response, I had the first 1000 k service done on June 18th so technically not till that time next year since I only have 2700k on it now. I guess ill have to dump early and start my annual service at the end of the riding season which may not be a bad thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Since it was not performed properly, I would request they replace the oil filter (at n/c). Of course, you don't need to prove anything to them but I would NOT wait on the issue or they will charge you for the change out later. Call and let them know the leak is persisting and you would like it resolved.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'd go with the filter gasket and the possibility that the old filter's gasket might have stuck on there and the new filter was installed over it. The simple thing is to have the dealer give you a new filter, drain and save the oil, pull the old filter and clean engine surface, replace the filter, pour the saved oil back in.

The dealer should've done the same once they discovered their error, or at least should do it now. Perhaps the simple thing is just do it yourself and buy a new filter? I wouldn't fool with the old filter after that mess but you can try if you don't have a replacement filter handy. In that regard, I wonder if anyone has identified a replacement brand oil filter procurable at the auto parts store? I suppose it depends on how big a hassle it is going back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Layshaft oil seal.
Wonder if I should go ahead and order the part in? By the time they can get the bike in to look at it riding season (Canada) will be almost over and having to wait for a part would mean surely I wouldn't be riding till 2022.

Do you have a part number? I would likely have to get the oem part as the bike is still on warranty.

On the other hand since the bike is on warranty I might be better off letting it run its course anyway and have them take a look at it first...

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
@mjdutch You (or dealer) might first confirm that it is the layshaft seal. Search this Forum for “layshaft” and you’ll find several threads. Perhaps start with this one…hope it helps!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Might also be they didn't clean up the oil that had leaked out when they tightened the filter. My first change I didn't have the filter tight enough and it leaked very slowly. Got the right sized filter wrench to tighten it properly. Had some oil residue reappear because I didn't clean it thoroughly enough the first time.

·
Premium Member
2021 Supersport 950
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To update - I was able to get in to the dealership and they changed out the filter. Rode it around that evening and its been parked the last couple days. No sign of leak yet. Fingers crossed. Funny this happened to this guy after the first service too:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts