Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding normally when I see the oil flashing "high" and then "low". As I take out my phone to record it goes from 80s to 60s range and keeps on fluctuating. It only happens when the engine is running.

Also the service warning is on, because the dudes at service center forgot to reset it after the annual service.

Warning: Video contains NSFW language

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
In the recording it looks normal, so I guess it jumped from 80s to 60s right before the vid(?)...

What were the conditions that it occurred?

Had you been riding for a while, or just started your ride?

Ambient temp?

Ever happened before?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I believe that was water temp, not oil temp. Mine will default to the screen when it hits 212f. Otherwise I toggle it.

book says:

Engine Coolant temperature
The instrument panel receives information about the
engine temperature (already calculated in °C) and
displays the value in the set unit of measurement (°C
or °F), followed by the unit of measurement and the
engine temperature symbol.
The temperature display range goes from 40 °C to
+120 °C (+104 °F ÷ +248 °F).

If reading is:
- <= (lower than or equal to) -40 °C (-40 °F), a string
of flashing dashes " - - - " is displayed;
- within the range -39 °C (-38 °F) to +39 °C
(+102 °F), "LO" is displayed steadily;
- within the range +40 °C (+104 °F) to +120 °C
(+248 °F), the value is displayed steadily;
- >= (higher than or equal to) +121 °C (+250 °F),
"HI" is displayed flashing.

If the coolant temperature sensor is in fault, a string of
flashing dashes "- - -" is displayed with the set unit of
measurement.

If the instrument panel is not receiving coolant
temperature value, a string of steady dashes "- - -" is
displayed, followed by the unit of measurement

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the recording it looks normal, so I guess it jumped from 80s to 60s right before the vid(?)...

What were the conditions that it occurred?

Had you been riding for a while, or just started your ride?

Ambient temp?

Ever happened before?
I was just riding normally, in the town. I had been riding for about 10 minutes. Yes the temp was massively varrying before recording, from flashing high to low to 40s to 80s.

Update: Now its just flashing 4 dashes!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that was water temp, not oil temp. Mine will default to the screen when it hits 212f. Otherwise I toggle it.

book says:

Engine Coolant temperature
The instrument panel receives information about the
engine temperature (already calculated in °C) and
displays the value in the set unit of measurement (°C
or °F), followed by the unit of measurement and the
engine temperature symbol.
The temperature display range goes from 40 °C to
+120 °C (+104 °F ÷ +248 °F).

If reading is:
- <= (lower than or equal to) -40 °C (-40 °F), a string
of flashing dashes " - - - " is displayed;
- within the range -39 °C (-38 °F) to +39 °C
(+102 °F), "LO" is displayed steadily;
- within the range +40 °C (+104 °F) to +120 °C
(+248 °F), the value is displayed steadily;
- >= (higher than or equal to) +121 °C (+250 °F),
"HI" is displayed flashing.

If the coolant temperature sensor is in fault, a string of
flashing dashes "- - -" is displayed with the set unit of
measurement.

If the instrument panel is not receiving coolant
temperature value, a string of steady dashes "- - -" is
displayed, followed by the unit of measurement
And it started flashing dashes later in the day

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Ugh, sorry man...I feel your pain. Coolant and oil levels are normal?

Btw, was the Service indicator on before service, and they forgot, or did it come on after service?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh, sorry man...I feel your pain. Coolant and oil levels are normal?

Btw, was the Service indicator on before service, and they forgot, or did it come on after service?
Yeah everything seems normal, the bike isnt heating or anything either. Its probably just the sensor.
As for the indicator, I had the service done a month earlier than a year and a few days after the service it started indicating and counting down. Its been 30 days since then and the service indicator is always on the screen. I will have to go down some day and get it reset and also get the radiator guard put on that they forgot to put on after the service. Kinda sucks, who knows how long will they take to repair this.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Yes, unfortunately they can’t turn the indicator off before the anniversary date...

We’re all hoping the sensor is a quick fix.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Perhaps they could order the sensor and install it after it comes in?

It's a real shame that you don't have another service provider since this one has done such a poor job. If I didn't have an independent guy that I knew, I probably wouldn't have gotten a Duc. He tells me the local dealer hires service guys out of training for $12 an hour compared to the Harley stores pays $35.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,614 Posts
As well as providing a temperature reading on the dash the coolant sensor is used by the ECU to adjust the fueling according to the engine temperature, enrichening for a cold start, leaning off as it warms up. A faulty coolant sensor will fool the ECU into thinking the engine is hotter or colder than it really is and the ECU will respond accordingly. The ECU also turns the fans on or off according to the signal it gets from the sensor.
A new sensor costs £29 in the UK, so not particularly expensive. It is mounted in a hose spigot on the horizontal cylinder head

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Yes, unfortunately they can’t turn the indicator off before the anniversary date...

We’re all hoping the sensor is a quick fix.
Been there and done it. The sensor is on the horizontal cylinder head. It's not a quick job. Probably 4-5 hrs of labour plus a radiator flush, refill and bleed.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
As well as providing a temperature reading on the dash the coolant sensor is used by the ECU to adjust the fueling according to the engine temperature, enrichening for a cold start, leaning off as it warms up. A faulty coolant sensor will fool the ECU into thinking the engine is hotter or colder than it really is and the ECU will respond accordingly. The ECU also turns the fans on or off according to the signal it gets from the sensor.
A new sensor costs £29 in the UK, so not particularly expensive. It is mounted in a hose spigot on the horizontal cylinder head
When I did my conversion I initially left the 1200 sensor on and I gained an improvement with a fueling problem once I replaced it with the 939 sensor. The 1200 sensor had only been through 1246 miles so it was relatively new. Anyway, I suspect the voltage to the ecu is different between the two sensors. Part number is different too. I wouldn't buy just any fitting sensor. I suggest the 939 OEM part.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You are not wrong Amos, different part numbers. The SS is part # 55243442A but the 1200 Monster is part # 55240131A

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same issue. No video. Was on trip when it started to go. Same as op - would vary temperature all over the place then either lock on Lo or Hi.

If turn bike off for second then back on same sequence world start again - display some random temperature then bounce around till get stuck on Lo or Hi.

Just rode it as no real other choice. At dealer (again) and after three weeks they might get the part tomorrow.

Check of various Ducati boards shows this is a multi bike issue and the part is used in a fair number of their bikes - Monster, multi, hyper etc.

Love this bike when it works but seems will have to basically rebuild it to get it to where all my other bikes were out of the box do to speak. Have never had this many issues with a bike before 👹

Anybody know of an aftermarket replacement part?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same here, began to fail 2 days ago, first it was very hot, when it was not true, I turned off, turned on and then began to fluctuate. Currently it works relatively well, it only oscillates a little and at 105º it turns on the fans correctly. But in a week I will leave it in the workshop.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
There's an oil pressure switch and a coolant temperature sensor. There's no oil temperature sensor in the SS.
The oil pressure switch simply connects to earth when the pressure is too high and then that triggers the ecu and dashboad.
The coolant temperature sensor is an important piece of kit because the ecu manages the fueling based on the temperature output. The part number is different and will make the bike act different if you put a monster or multi etcetera in.
You must replace it with the 939 part number. Well actually it's up to you what you choose, I'm just saying it won't work properly and you'll realise that when it's hot and you stop for fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's an oil pressure switch and a coolant temperature sensor. There's no oil temperature sensor in the SS.
The oil pressure switch simply connects to earth when the pressure is too high and then that triggers the ecu and dashboad.
The coolant temperature sensor is an important piece of kit because the ecu manages the fueling based on the temperature output.
Of course, what is failing is the water (coolant) temp sensor. Anybody knows if it’s easy to replace?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Used to think air temp sensor give temp data to the ECU to adjust AFR based on air temp, density: O2 quantity etc.

The coolant temperature sensor is an important piece of kit because the ecu manages the fueling based on the temperature output. The part number is different and will make the bike act different if you put a monster or multi etcetera in.
You must replace it with the 939 part number. Well actually it's up to you what you choose, I'm just saying it won't work properly and you'll realise that when it's hot and you stop for fuel.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
If you want to get a good idea of how the fuel injection works and the purpose and effect of the various sensors this guy's info is worth a read. He is plugging his own product but the info is relevant nonetheless. You can download his booklet for free too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Exactly, no coolant temp on the ECU equation to adjust AFR 😉

If you want to get a good idea of how the fuel injection works and the purpose and effect of the various sensors this guy's info is worth a read. He is plugging his own product but the info is relevant nonetheless. You can download his booklet for free too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts