Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only saw 1 SS and a few Monsters. Everything else is a scooter.

WTH?????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Make sure to go to the Ducati factory and museum. Take pictures and put them on the forum. Not sure if they will let you take them at the factory though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Gas is too expensive in Europe, and space comes at a premium as well. It's far less expensive to own a small scooter that gets 100 mpg than a big bike that gets 40 mpg.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Only saw 1 SS and a few Monsters. Everything else is a scooter.

WTH?????
In Italy... where? In big cities scooters are more common. Maybe it's more simply to find Scrambler, the best seller. Others Ducati are on lakes or mountains, where you can achieve the full potential :laugh:

Make sure to go to the Ducati factory and museum. Take pictures and put them on the forum. Not sure if they will let you take them at the factory though.
I was there a month ago... Pics only in museum, not allowed in factory.
I saw Panigale Final Edition engine... but they said to me "ops! this not have to be here... you see nothing!" :nerd: :grin2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, easy: Most EU citizens can (easily) effort a motorcycle - even a Ducati.
Depending where you live, it's not everywhere and for everybody the holy grail riding a Motorcycle daily. Particulary in larger cities, scooters make more sence. This BTW, does not necessarily mean that one or the other does not have also a motorcycle in his/her garage.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What a strange view some of you guys have about Europe.

Trust me all is well. I've been to the US on many occasions and I can assure you that there is a much bigger concentration of Motorcycles in Europe than I've ever seen in the US.

I would guess that most people in the UK will live within twenty five miles of a Ducati main dealer. I live in the countryside and have at least six main dealers within fifteen miles.
Tourist areas or large cities in the warmer areas have a huge concentration of scooters, Italy in particular.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, back home now. We spent a few days in Rome and the scooter population is insane....I get it.

The bulk of our trip was hiking in the Dolomite's...San Cassiano, Val Gardena etc. I saw plenty of bikes on some amazing roads up there. If I had to guess I would say that 80% of the bikes I saw were BMW, mostly GS/RS 1200. The rest were mostly Japanese bikes and only a handful were Ducati's.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
OK, back home now. We spent a few days in Rome and the scooter population is insane....I get it.

The bulk of our trip was hiking in the Dolomite's...San Cassiano, Val Gardena etc. I saw plenty of bikes on some amazing roads up there. If I had to guess I would say that 80% of the bikes I saw were BMW, mostly GS/RS 1200. The rest were mostly Japanese bikes and only a handful were Ducati's.
Wonder why BMW owns the area with such a huge population of bikes...?? Down here in ole TN, it's a good mix of Japanese with the majority being Harley's with a few BMW's and even fewer Ducatis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ducati is a small company compared to the others out there. Especially the Japanese manufacturers. That's gonna explain a good part of why so few Ducati's are seen on the roads. The BWM 1200GS has ruled the touring world for years. It's built a reputation that drives people to purchase it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That area tends to see bikers who do megga miles. The best bike for those trips is the GS or the GSA, the biggest selling bike in Europe for years.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In Italy, the most popular bikes are BMW R1200GS and Honda Africa Twin.
Scooters sell 3 times as much.

Why?

Most people need to move in traffic quickly, but they're not a "biker". :wink2: They choose something practical and economical.

Others, however, choose a Enduro because they can move well in the city when they're going to workplace... but on the weekend they can also have a good bike with big panniers to make many miles. :smile2:

The Ducati Best Selling? Scrambler 800. Good to move in traffic and the person can say "I have a bike". :laugh:
Other Ducati sold are Multistrada 950 and 1200. Then Hypermotard and finally SuperSport :wink2:

Ducati has improved since VW bought the brand. Best production, best affidability, less recall. Then people started to buy more Ducati 0:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've always seen quite a few Ducatis in Piedmonte - it's no surprise, the roads are sensational. Try around Barbaresco and the Po and Aosta valleys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts