Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I modified my Optimate Cable that I had previously used on my Scrambler. I connected the cable connector to my Garmin Zumo cable. I am powering my Zumo from the Optimate connector under the seat. I use the pig tail near the lower firing to connect to my Optimate.

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
I modified my Optimate Cable that I had previously used on my Scrambler. I connected the cable connector to my Garmin Zumo cable. I am powering my Zumo from the Optimate connector under the seat. I use the pig tail near the lower firing to connect to my Optimate.
Possible to post a few pics to show us how you did this? ...Including the Garmin cable used.

·
Registered
121 Posts
has anyone found the socket under the seat to charge anything it is connected to very slowly?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I didn't need the Optimate cable that I had previously used on my Scrambler; so, I cut the socket off it to connect to the Garmin power cable. One of the photos shows whee I plugged the altered cable into the Ducati under the seat.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
I didn't need the Optimate cable that I had previously used on my Scrambler; so, I cut the socket off it to connect to the Garmin power cable. One of the photos shows whee I plugged the altered cable into the Ducati under the seat.
Thanks...

Did you remove the pig tail near the lower fairing and splice it on to the Garmin power cable, and that then plug it into the Optimate?

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
I prefer using the socket for the Optimate connection.
For Garmin, agree, usb is good for some uses, but will not power a Garmin...I’ve tried, and didn’t work, at least not on mine...not enough juice to keep it charged.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks...

Did you remove the pig tail near the lower fairing and splice it on to the Garmin power cable, and that then plug it into the Optimate?
No - The reason I cut up my Optimate cable and connected the Garmin to the socket under the seat is the dealer furnished a pigtail near the lower fairing to connect my Optimate. I would have used my Optimate cable as originally intended if the dealer hadn't supplied a battery tender pig tail. I use my Optimate regularly although I know it is not really needed because I ride frequently. It was much easier to connect the Garmin to the socket under the seat than connecting it directly to the battery terminals.

The Optimate cables to connect to a Ducati are ~$25. I would not butcher one unless I already had one that I didn't need.

Garmins function better using the power cable rather than the USB cable. Garmins confuse USB with charging and data transfer rather than normal use.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I leave my Optimate adapter connected at all times and curled under the seat. It gets used anytime she sits for longer than 3-4 days.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,726 Posts
has anyone found the socket under the seat to charge anything it is connected to very slowly?
Rather oddly the wiring diagram shows the power to this socket as coming from the same fuse as the under seat USB and the satnav connector behind the steering head, which makes no sense because they are switched off with the ignition. That would be absolutely useless for a charger.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Rather oddly the wiring diagram shows the power to this socket as coming from the same fuse as the under seat USB and the satnav connector behind the steering head, which makes no sense because they are switched off with the ignition. That would be absolutely useless for a charger.
Are we talking about the USB, or the DDA connector?

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
Ok, the standard under-seat Optimate arrangement...

Perhaps I’m missing something, but how did you: “I connected the [Optimate] cable connector to my Garmin Zumo cable.“?

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
Hmmm...

Btw, please remind me, did you actually connect your Garmin to the satnav connector behind the (left?) side steering head? And also find a cable to go from satnav to Garmin?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
The DDA connector which is also supposed to double as a connector for battery charger or tender using one these.
Oh, ok. I have one of those attached, already...I just got lost on the thread as to which one you were actually talking about.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I just checked the socket. It is permanently live. The wiring diagram is wrong. If any one is interested I have made a colour version of the wiring that I can post on here if anyone is interested, but there are a few mistakes in it - not mine :surprise:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts