Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up my bike today. Won't be able to ride it until it's fixed. I was riding on the highway probably 75 or so. I came over a rise and upon a pot hole that didn't look to deep and seemingly not enough time to miss it. It was gentle hit and then the bike roared with no muffling. Apparently the hole looked small because a rock or chunk of pavement was in it or broke away when I hit it.

The object sideswiped the right side flapper valve cover, broke the bracket, bent the rear muffler unit and separated the rear pipe from header pipe. It's bent apart, I considered taking a jack to it and bending it back until I discovered the bracket was broken and the rear unit was bent back.

I'm not familiar with muffler system and don't know if an aftermarket pipe replacement is best or possible. I don't know if this is even fixable or if there are terminal consequences.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry to hear, what a weird thing to have happen. If you can’t fix it maybe buy a used stock exhaust, suspect there are a lot sitting around. Also, you have choices for a new de-catted system. While I love the look of the CW system, I’d go with a full Akra if I was to do it over.

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am game to get it serviceable anyway possible as soon as possible. I just hope the damage isn't more than can be seen. The rear header could be bent.

I actually like the stock look best. The Delkevik unit looks OK but I still like the dual muffler look of the OEM. I've got $1000 deductible. So I'll have my mechanic give me an estimate and go from there.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I too like the stock look. Surely with so many buying after market exhausts, there are some used ones for sale.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey John - glad to hear you're OK! These are weird times, indeed. I had a similar incident Sunday morning on an early ride before the heat built up. I was on "Twist Road" that lives up to its name, and spent a little too much time looking at how many bars of fuel remained. When I looked up, I was heading off the road into a culvert going about 45mph. What happened next could be described as motocross - I was cris-crossing the culvert, getting air then heading down, back and forth, all the time thinking I was going to eat it any moment. It was akin to a tank slapper where I just had to ride it out, which I did and ended up back on the road. When I finally felt my legs were settled down enough to stop, I pulled over to have a look. There were weeds everywhere! It was a close call and a reminder - don't do stupid things! I'm amazed the bike was unharmed - the forks could have easily been bent. A pretty good testimony on stoutness of the Ducati.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blast, it sounds like you had a wild ride. Yet, your bike is fine. I hit a little bump in the road and who knows how much damage I have? (Perhaps it's totaled since everything attaches to the engine)

I am glad you're OK. That just sounds pretty scary.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Wow, glad you’re ok!

Looks from the damage shown, it was a really hard hit...fortunately it didn’t knock you off!

Hope it might be possible for some of the parts to be realigned or be fixed, rather than replaced,

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, glad you’re ok!

Looks from the damage shown, it was a really hard hit...fortunately it didn’t knock you off!

Hope it might be possible for some of the parts to be realigned or be fixed, rather than replaced,

Keep us posted.
I could barely feel a thing. I saw a little bump in the road and didn't think it was worth the risk of taking evasive action. No jolt, just a big noise when the front pipe came loose. Roads are so bad here you get a feeling for the hazards to dodge and the little ones to run over.

I am hopeful of realignment. $12 for the bracket and $45 for the cover. OTOH, if I damaged an engine mounting bracket the bike could be toast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been lurking on here for a while, but your post made feel the need to create an account. I see you are in OKC area? I also live in OKC area and have a stock exhaust sitting in my garage. I'm kinda jealous it was so easy for you to remove. I had a hell of a time with mine🤣

·
Registered
174 Posts
Amazed that you hardly felt the impact considering the resulting damage. Glad you are ok and hope you will be able to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been lurking on here for a while, but your post made feel the need to create an account. I see you are in OKC area? I also live in OKC area and have a stock exhaust sitting in my garage. I'm kinda jealous it was so easy for you to remove. I had a hell of a time with mine🤣
I'm surprised that we haven't seen each other. Thruxton and Duc riders are in my wheelhouse. I'm up in Edmond. I had just gone Don's shop (Motiv) and heading to Lake Arcadia on I-44. Just before the north bound fork on I-35, I run over small (dog dish) pothole, and felt a little bump and heard a huge roar. Got off at Wilshire. When I was on the side of the road a HiPo motorcop came by and commiserated about Okla roads, he headed back to see if there was debris in the road. Taking it back to Don's today to see what he can do with it.

Mine only came loose on the front header, I think the rear is bound up in the muffler. I might need to purchase an exhaust system- stay in touch.

Maybe we can do ride? I guess I'll be on a Guzzi for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After I posted, I looked closer at the pictures. It does just look like it came loose and that exhaust is easy to get bound up (ask me how I know). I bet a couple solid smacks and it will slip back into place. Worst case, you may have to loosen the rear header clamp (and maybe header) to get it back in.
I live in Midwest City and I'm always looking for an excuse to ride.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dropped it off and of course it's worse than I thought. It broke the bottom right fairing attachment and bracket. The bracket appears to be $8 but the bottom faring is over $500. The question is whether it makes sense to fix the plastic fairing attachment stay or order a new bottom fairing?

So given all the parts discovered (5 line items) it's a little more than $600. $85 in brackets and sundries and $511 for the fairing. Then add tax and shipping and labor. And availability.

At least I have two shops sharing the same space. Don's shop and Colvin's (Flat Track Racer). So if Don is too busy, I'll get Eric said he'd do it. I know a good body man Dusty (Central Customs) that's good with plastic, my Corvette for example. Think I'm leaning that way.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've ordered the brackets and whatnot. Hopefully, my body guy will fix the fairing. I didn't know that even these small parts had to come from Italy. Both the local and out of town shop told me it usually takes a week to get the parts shipped. So there seems to be little reason but to order them from the local shop.

I wonder if anyone here has experience ordering parts and whether the one week delivery time accurate and typical?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I wonder if anyone here has experience ordering parts and whether the one week delivery time accurate and typical?
Typical time pre-COVID provided everyone does their job and things get sent out right. I ordered parts when I bought my bike and had to wait an extra week because the parts guy in Italy didn’t grab all the order and it didn’t make the shipping container that week.

Or so I was told.......

·
Registered
829 Posts
My experience is 7-10 days from the time I order to the part arriving at the parts counter at my local Ducati dealer from Italy. I'm always suprised.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Now I hear the muffler is totally bashed and dented. I suppose I'll have to go aftermarket with a flapper valve fooler. I like the looks of the OEM. Dilemma.

I hope if I give up the OEM looks that I get some increase in performance.

I've read several folks here that have installed new pipes. I guess I'll check around and see what looks best.

More importantly, I have factory bags and have clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to thank you guys from So Cal

I am guessing one of you guys sold your take off muffler to some guy in Oceanside. Got it delivered from ebay for $72. It's $1500 new from Ducati. Now if I get the replacement fasteners, hopefully, I can get this bike back together.

BTW- this one only has 1500 miles on it. I just took the bottom muffler off it and applied some anti-size on it so I can change my rear tire. I noticed the muffler covers have different bolts on the blind side, must be a newer production series.

Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts