Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due 18k Desmo service in about 500 miles on my '17 model. But am considering a trip that might be a couple thousand miles. There is no way I can get it scheduled and done before the trip.

Anyone see any harm going 21k before getting the service? I know the maintenance minder won't even come on for another 500 miles, I don't think factory expects you to stop right away- unless the bike goes into limp mode or something. That would be an absolute disaster to ride 350 miles home.

Would appreciate advice and comments, particularly if you've done the service.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I'd do the oil and filter part of the service and get the Desmo done as soon as after the trip. Do the oil and filter part yourself. Book the Desmo before you go.

There was little needed during my Desmo, just a couple of shims replaced. If your bike is running fine you'd be alright. The belt change etc is probably more important, but I'd guess a few miles won't make that much difference.

Is there a Ducati dealer somewhere on your trip? If they have a good rep it might be worth considering getting a done mid trip, a 'forced' stopover is sometimes entertaining.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might add that I've changed the oil twice as often as recommended. The oil and filter are less than 3k miles. I know the Desmo will include belts and plugs. The plugs seem to be fine.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
If your local dealer can’t squeeze you in, is there another dealer not too far that can do it?

I once has the same issue with my Scrambler, and asked the service manager whom I trust the same question. And he said definitely not. Turned out to be correct, as my Scrambler had some rocker flake on one rocker. But then again, that’s an entirely different motor, of course. Even with the rocker flake, it most likely wouldn’t have resulted in a catastrophic failure if not serviced. And probably it will be fine for yours…but, if it were my bike, I’m not sure I’d let it go that long.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed, I wasn't planning to take it to the dealer in the first place. I have a local guy. I was going to call him Tuesday to order the belts and plugs. I was planning to ride the Tuesday next. Since there's no warranty left, I'm sure Duc wouldn't help a bit if the bike was coming apart. I suppose if there was a pending catastrophic failure, it would certainly be fortuitous.

My first concern would be whether the maientence minder would put it in to limp mode.

It does seem like everything happens at once.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It won’t go into limp mode. I did my Desmo before it was due and when the clock tripped over the 30k the Desmo service comes up and will stay until it gets back to the dealer/ tech to reset it. Mine is over 5k over and still ticking as it should

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rhino for the kind words and sharing your experience. You're a scholar and a gentleman. (y)

I might just make the trip.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two options for my 18k service, my Guzzi mechanic or the dealer. Here's the kicker, 4.3 hours to do all the 18k service: desmo, belts, plugs, oil change, screen, air filter, fork service (yes), lots of checks, computer update.

I wonder how much of the 4.3 hours is just taking the fairing off and on? Now that's a $650-720 labor bill. Parts? lots $$ more than I might guess.

I just ordered a new chain and sprocket set, since the chain has a slight kink in it, more for labor (check first, then replace) but I have the parts. Brake pads + labor? Fuel line? Really? Brake fluid and coolant too? I say no.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
The fairing really doesn't take that long to remove. I reckon 20 to 30 mins, and the same to replace. That's both sides...

Reactions: Triplesapper

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a little FYI regarding the maintenance minder. I had been riding with the oil service light and icon for more than a year. When it turned over 18k, it changed to service warning with a little wrench icon yesterday. Since the bike was going to the shop, I wanted to check the date on the dash board to keep up to date before service, the date was correct however.

Today, I rode the bike to drop it off at the shop and the service warning and icon are gone. :unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts