Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty straight forward post. I performed the maintenance on my bike and I overfilled the oil so now it's at the high line (if not a little above it). Got my tools ready to take some out, but just like the three drain plugs... is there more than one way to get to an area where the oil is sumped together most? I appreciate any help, thank you.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It should be at the high line, that means it's full. A little above won't hurt either. So long as the glass isn't completely filled, you should be OK.

Some Duc riders like to keep it in the middle. That just means it's not filled. I asked the owner of the HSBK Ducati Superbike team about it, he said to fill it to the top line.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what...

I highly suspected that. The oil gets sucked somewhere when you turn the motor on (versus my 300 that just shows the sump level at the sight glass), but hot dog... what rate of oil is that pump pumping throughout the engine?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Couldn't get a syringe to fit. Had to take the drain plug out. PITA. Will measure next time AND not trust my mates she'll be right attitude.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldn't get a syringe to fit. Had to take the drain plug out. PITA. Will measure next time AND not trust my mates she'll be right attitude.
Did you try with a flexible hosing that would fit over the nozzle of the syringe?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Well, plastic tubing, as thin as I could find. Suspect any thinner wouldn't have been possible to suck it up. Anyway Hopefully won't make the mistake again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just had my bike serviced by the Dealer and they overfilled it, so I tried and failed with a thin plastic tube too. Can anyone tell me what size allen key I need for the sump? I just want to loosen it enough to drain some, without removing it completely. My understanding is that the washer is standard copper and not one of those crush washers that need replacing each time? This needs to be simple cause I can't be arsed wasting my time going back to the shop.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
5mm. Just make sure it's deep enough. I just reused washer. So far so good.
Not so easy to just drain a little. You need to take plug out and then reinsert, can't just undo it a little.
PITA , but just messy.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Just had my bike serviced by the Dealer and they overfilled it, so I tried and failed with a thin plastic tube too. Can anyone tell me what size allen key I need for the sump? I just want to loosen it enough to drain some, without removing it completely. My understanding is that the washer is standard copper and not one of those crush washers that need replacing each time? This needs to be simple cause I can't be arsed wasting my time going back to the shop.
So long as you see any gap of oil and light in the glass, you should be OK. I'd only be concerned if the sight glass was totally covered.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So long as you see any gap of oil and light in the glass, you should be OK. I'd only be concerned if the sight glass was totally covered.
There's a small gap at the top of the glass when doing a cold check. The sight glass is totally covered though when doing a hot check. I'm guessing the difference between full & overfull isn't much oil?

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
Hot versus cold oil will expand a little bit, about 1-2 mm on the site glass.

Since you can see a small gap when cold, it’s probably fine. But if it were my bike, it only takes a few minutes to drop the oil a bit, and that’s what I’d do. But it's your bike to decide.

Reusing crush rings is not recommended as they’ve already been crushed, but the rings can be smoothed with a light sanding, and re-used. Generally, I always have a couple of extra crush rings on hand, in the case that I make a mistake.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
There's a small gap at the top of the glass when doing a cold check. The sight glass is totally covered though when doing a hot check. I'm guessing the difference between full & overfull isn't much oil?
IMO, Don't worry about it. Ride the bike. It's no more than a cup or two high. That little bit will consumed or pumped out.

For me, I'd ride it.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Quite happy with how easy it is to change the oil, the paper filter and clean the steel mesh filter.

I’ve re-used the copper washer at least four times. I’m living riskier these days than Freddie Mercury did, huh?

Just spent three days wringing the poor SS’ neck on a track keeping up with a liter bike.

My Ducabike shifter peg is great for avoiding breakage in the event of a tip over. However, one has to keep an eye on it lest it loosen up and start folding up imperceptibly when you go to quick shift in anger from 5th to 6th on the straightaway. I missed the gear and got caught between gears only to hear the most horrific high speed grinding when I finally got it in gear. The rest of the weekend I felt like I was juggling a grenade given my Panigale is still VOR for the disintegrating water pump.

Anyways, knocked out an oil change tonight and I was relieved with the minimal particles from the transmission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts