Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least two Members have experienced a sheared pannier bracket stabilizer bolt. I posted about mine breaking some time during my last trip, but just got around to replacing it a few minutes ago.

Fortunately, it’s not the main support for the panniers. And the panniers are quite stable even with the bolt sheared off, but still, they should have designed-in a heftier bolt for this purpose.

Some pics on the next post.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The bolt attaches to the bracket I’m holding at the left side to the main support frame.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,631 Posts
I had one of mine break, I replaced both of them with HT bolts instead of the cheese the OEM ones are made from. I reckon it's from overload due to sheer. They are only M6, I must inspect the frames and see if there is enough metal to up the size to M8.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
I had one of mine break, I replaced both of them with HT bolts instead of the cheese the OEM ones are made from. I reckon it's from overload due to sheer. They are only M6, I must inspect the frames and see if there is enough metal to up the size to M8.
I'd do the same if it happened to me, but only for the better quality of steel.

These are breaking from shear force, not tension. (sorry, I'm pedantic about stuff like that).

That having been said, I wonder if some form of rubber washer or other damping would help the longevity?

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd do the same if it happened to me, but only for the better quality of steel.

These are breaking from shear force, not tension. (sorry, I'm pedantic about stuff like that).

That having been said, I wonder if some form of rubber washer or other damping would help the longevity?
I think it sucks. These bags are premium money yet they can't hold up to normal wear? WTF?

Reactions: Ed K

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I think it sucks. These bags are premium money yet they can't hold up to normal wear? WTF?
While I agree with you, I think @Derek's solution would permanently fix the problem. But, you're probably thinking, "why should this be my problem to fix in the first place?" Well, I agree with that, too, but at least we can fairly easily, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I am curious about the wear pattern.
Did the failures occur with frequent use of saddle bags or infrequent?
Were the failures related to heavy loads in the bags?

I look forward to remedy and prevention to replace and upgrade these bolts.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would also assume shear load, but I guess it’s poss tension. The torque wrench I used to install them isn’t the greatest, and the torque is very low on these.

Also noticed when installing this right side section only, even though adjoining pieces were loose when installing to adjust fit, it doesn’t align perfectly. So it starts off with some shear load. Left seems to align better.

Was it your right side that broke too @Derek? The other Forum member’s was right side like mine.

This one broke on my trip to Newfoundland. Both bags were heavily loaded for a 3 week trip, but one also had lots of tools. But I don’t recall if it was the side that broke had the tools.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was the left side on mine. I did notice the alignment problem and tweaked the side pieces from the pillion hanger mounts for a better fit.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I had a look at these this morning and there is plenty meat to go up to M8 screws. If I have any further problems I'll do that.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To resurrect an old thread...

This was where several Members have experienced an M6 bolt in the pannier frame breaking (twice in my case) under normal usage.

In an attempt to prevent this from happening a third time, all bolts holding all sections of the frame were loosened to minimize tension attaching the frame sections together that do not perfectly align, and the standard M6 OEM bolts were replaced with stainless M6 bolts.

On this 800 mile trip just completed I hit a few not insignificant bumps, where the pannier brackets were under stress, but the stainless bolts (perhaps in combination with realignment of the bracket components) did not shear and are intact.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Much the same as I did after the one of the OEM bolts broke. No problem since, even over a couple of hundred miles in Skye over what must be some of the bumpiest paved roads anywhere.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm going to replace my M6 bolts before they fail. I can check the length when I get home, but if anyone knows their length, please post. If not, I will when I get around to it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It's been so long and the pictures are gone, which bolts are we talking about?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The screw is an M6 x 18. Shiny ones (replaced with stainless) in the middle of the pic.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stress occurs between bracket parts numbers “5” and “4” and “3” causing OEM “9” screws to shear.

Loosen all mounting bolts and screws to maximize alignment, minimize stress on joints, replace “9” screws with stainless steel.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts