Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I purchased this bike was to do some touring. And to tour, one needs panniers. As has been discussed several times, the panniers produced by Ducati for this bike, while attractive, are obscenely priced. Since purchasing My Lovely, I have been searching for panniers that will fit the following criteria:

1. Less than $600 (USD).
2. Decent looking
3. Detachable
4. A mounting system that doesn't detract from the look of the bike

As of 2 weeks ago, I found a winner: SW-Motech Blaze Saddlebags (Ducati Monster 1200 R). See link below.

SW-MOTECH Blaze Sport Saddlebag System for Ducati Monster 1200R '16-'17 | TwistedThrottle.com

This system is reviewed rather well on the Revzilla site, but in short, it consists of two soft bags that rest on the passenger seat. The bags are prevented from hitting the rear wheel by a system of detachable aluminum rods that are attached to the bike frame. The bags also connect directly to the frame attachment so they don't slip off the back of the bike. When the bags are not in use, the rods can be easily removed with a press of a button.

Why the Monster 1200 R version of the Blaze? Because SW-Motech hasn't yet made a version for the SS and the Blaze system can be easily modified for the SS. This is due to the fact that the SS and the Monster 1200 R have the same passenger peg mounts and this is where the Blaze system attaches to the bike. The only difference is the bodywork around the passenger mounts calls for different spacers for the SS. I know, I just cost SW-Motech $100 for each set of Blaze systems they make for the SS.

This is me shedding a tear for them. :crying:

So how is this system installed, one might ask? Just follow the directions that come with the system, but when you get to the step where you place the metal spacers in the mount, simply add a 1/2 inch plastic spacer as shown in the pics. This piece of advanced mechanical wizardry will set you back about $1 at your local hardware store. The pics below show the plastic spacer after I cut it down to the 1/2 inch size needed. The fourth pic shows the metal spacer that comes with the Blaze kit on top of the plastic spacer as it will appear when inserted into the rear hole of the passenger footpeg. IMPORTANT INFO: only one plastic spacer is needed for each side and it is only needed for the rear hole of the passenger footpeg. The metal spacer for the front hole in the passenger footpeg is sufficient as is.

Other pics show the mounting bracket that stays on your bike at all times as well as the bags mounted on the bike. For those wondering where the heck that third bag is from. It is a tail bag I also mounted as discussed elsewhere in this forum. If you want to see the system without the tail bag mounted...use your imagination.

FYI, I just returned from a 2000 mile road trip with these bags mounted and I experienced no issues. I believe there is a max listed speed limit for these bags of 80-85 mph. I can't remember where I read this, but it is a load of crap as I routinely motored along at precisely 99 mph :wink2: and the system worked fine.

If you're interested in a pannier/saddle bag system, I highly recommend the Blaze!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
this is very nice. thanks for sharing. i had similar bags on my tuono v4 and i really liked how they worked and i think it even made the bike look cooler in some ways. I would probably do something like this but I got a set of SS panniers as a promotion for the SS standard. However I don't like them very much.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Thanks mate I have a few trips planed and I have been hoping for a solution like this I thought I would have to make my own framework up as the panniers aren't realy the issue its how they attach that's the problem. Good job

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had bought these money-bags SW Motech for my old motorcycle (Kawasaki Z) but as I sold it immediately, not had time to use bags. Today, they are in their packaging, awaiting a buyer...

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Very nicely done review. This will be extremely helpful to a number of our members, here. Thanks!

How well did you do with scratches on the red? It looks like the trunk was touching the plastics on the tail section. Any scratches or noticeable scuffs to speak of?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bags and scuff marks

Good question se7en. I forgot about that. The bags will scuff the sides of your bike beneath the passenger seat. However, the Blaze system comes with a handy-dandy clear vinyl sheet which you can theoretically put on your bike to protect it from said scuffs.

In practice, it is nearly impossible to apply the sheet to your bike without horrible looking bubbles. I ended cutting out small strips of protectant from the sheet and just applying them to the bike where it would come into contact with the bags. Immediately after applying them, they looked substandard, but after the first rainstorm I passed through they looked like absolute trash. They stayed attached to the bike though and for the duration of the trip. My current plan is to just reapply strips of the supplied protectant vinyl whenever I use the bags (which won't be often). However, I'm sure one of you artistes out there could find a more elegant solution.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Pretty sweet set-up, Fish. The Blaze system looks homologated.

Would it make much difference if you had removed the pillion peg supports? I don't think my wife would even consider getting on the back of the Duc (no backrest, super high perch, etc) so I took them off and don't intend to put them back on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Really nice set up. Best I’ve seen. Same question as asked by “NothingClever”. Do the pillion peg mounts need to be there to support the stainless rods? The pegs are never going back on my SS.

Z

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, not checking this forum much during the -13 degree weather we're having here. Anyway, I believe you'd be fine without the passenger pegs although you might have to make the spacers a bit longer to make up for whatever loss of thickness would result from removing the pegs. It shouldn't be much I'd think. Maybe 1/2 inch max. Due to the absence of the pegs, You will probably also want to put a washer between your spacers and the frame holes where the bolts go, but that's a cheap fix.

My measurements detailed above will probably be a bit off if you remove the pegs. That being the case, there will probably be a bit of trial and error involved with how long you need to make your plastic spacers, but those things are also cheap, so have at it. The goal is to have the spacers position the SW mounting bracket so it doesn't contact the bodywork of the SS. Once that is accomplished, the system should work as advertised.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Sorry, not checking this forum much during the -13 degree weather we're having here. Anyway, I believe you'd be fine without the passenger pegs although you might have to make the spacers a bit longer to make up for whatever loss of thickness would result from removing the pegs. It shouldn't be much I'd think. Maybe 1/2 inch max. Due to the absence of the pegs, You will probably also want to put a washer between your spacers and the frame holes where the bolts go, but that's a cheap fix.

My measurements detailed above will probably be a bit off if you remove the pegs. That being the case, there will probably be a bit of trial and error involved with how long you need to make your plastic spacers, but those things are also cheap, so have at it. The goal is to have the spacers position the SW mounting bracket so it doesn't contact the bodywork of the SS. Once that is accomplished, the system should work as advertised.

Good luck!
Oooo, ja....Meenasoota. Bit cold up there near Canuckistan.

:grin2:

Thank for the great insight.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome back from the dead, old thread. I fitted my motech bags today, and i had a little different experience than fishoutofh2o.

I fit the brackets to the passenger mounts, without the passenger bs. I found that i could use the included spacers, but the supplied bolts were too long. I used the short bolt that should go on the front on the rear, and a new 35 mm m8 on the front. everything fits nice, not even close to rubbing. Well, im not a fan of the way the buckle sits where it does, but to be honest, watching the mirror, and my shadow, while going down the road, i didn't notice any movement.

Another thing i did differently, i mounted the aluminum rails rotated 90 deg from what the directions indicate. I tried both ways, but the solution i chose seems to look better. Although , i must say, mine doesnt look as squared away and neat as fish's. They seem to sit at more of an angle. I know, no pics, no proof, im making dinner and drinking a beer, pics will come......

road test went great, high speeds both empty, as well as with half a dozen bottled beverages on each side.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
30 Posts
My Blaze pannier kit arrived yesterday after a long wait due to UK dealer being out of stock ( big hanks to Allison at Winding Roads for arranging a special order for me). Very pleased with he quality but having a couple of issues with fitment.
Followed Fish's excellent fitting instructions but the fitted position puts them pressing against the indicators - am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions gratefully received before I start making any major mods.

Attachments

Reactions: Chuck-Duc

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those indicators ar quite big. I have the Ducati panniers off the ST2/3/4 range fitted to mine, they are hard panniers, and the cutouts on the back of the panniers fit around the standard indicators.
Having said that I have now changed the huge standard indicators for some much smaller LED sequential indicators.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Followed Fish's excellent fitting instructions but the fitted position puts them pressing against the indicators - am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions gratefully received before I start making any major mods.
You may need to go with the DP LED indicators. They're much smaller (and somewhat expensive for what they are) but they look great and could give you the room you need.

www.ducatisupersport939.net/forum/658-electronics/5697-led-indicators.html#post81601

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
30 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Se7en, looks like the best solution and as you say they do look good. Unfortunately i'm away from tomorrow until mid next week and need to get something sorted for my trip to Mugello the following week. Think i'll have to have a play with spacers on the bag supports for now and get smaller indicators fitted long term.
Cheers.

Reactions: Chuck-Duc and se7en
1 - 20 of 52 Posts