67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Gentlemen,

Anybody has replace the original lightbulbs with the Phillips H11 ones

Thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
A replacement today with the Sylvania's and they're nice and white they match the DRL pretty well.

QUOTE=DucatiAngel;118369]Hi, Gentlemen,

Anybody has replace the original lightbulbs with the Phillips H11 ones

I just replaced mine today with the Sylvania bulbs and they look really nice and white

Thank you[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Any bulb is better than the OEM. However, if you go with Phillips, try and get some specifically made in Germany as they are much better. The others that are made in Poland are not anywhere near as quality.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Any bulb is better than the OEM. However, if you go with Phillips, try and get some specifically made in Germany as they are much better. The others that are made in Poland are not anywhere near as quality.
Oh No You Didn't !!!!!! I'm part Polish and My Farther was Polish and My Grandfather died in a polish prisoner of war Camp in WW11 uhaaaa !!! yes #### He fell out of a guard tower and the Prisoners beat him to death:D:D:D>:)

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for posting. I just ordered some HID's
HID's aren't going to be effective/look as great unless it's shown through a projector lense/s. Pretty sure you know that by now. And I'm pretty sure our bikes don't have any sort of projectors.

.ck

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,723 Posts
HID's aren't going to be effective/look as great unless it's shown through a projector lense/s. Pretty sure you know that by now. And I'm pretty sure our bikes don't have any sort of projectors.

.ck
I used HIDs in my MTS1200 which doesn't have projectors either and they were far better than the stock halogens.
I would be wary though of fitting HIDs to the Supersport as it doesn't use relays for the headlights which are driven straight off the dash. Although the current drawn by HIDs is less than a conventional bulb they draw a high initial current at start up that might be more than the dash could take. I wouldn't install HID lamps without a relay for fear of damaging the dash which would surely be very expensive to replace.

I was out for the first time in the dark with my bike last night and was unimpressed with lights. The dip beam isn't too bright, although coming from the MTS I'm used to 2 headlights that both have dip and main beam functions, and the main beam gives a very wide flat beam that seemed to low for my liking. At least I can adjust that to be a bit higher the poor dip beam is another matter.
The dip switch was another source of frustration. It's fiddly to use and is located too close to the menu switch so that most times I operated the dip switch I also changed the dash display. On the Scrambler and 2010-14 MTS and many other models the headlight flash switch is also the dip switch. You pull it towards you to flash the main beam or flick downwards to toggle between main beam and dip. It is very conveniently located and very easy to use. The arrangement on the Supersport is a step backwards, it's crap.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
What's the "dip" light? Us US folks don't call anything a dip...other than someone who is an idiot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used HIDs in my MTS1200 which doesn't have projectors either and they were far better than the stock halogens.
I would be wary though of fitting HIDs to the Supersport as it doesn't use relays for the headlights which are driven straight off the dash. Although the current drawn by HIDs is less than a conventional bulb they draw a high initial current at start up that might be more than the dash could take. I wouldn't install HID lamps without a relay for fear of damaging the dash which would surely be very expensive to replace.

I was out for the first time in the dark with my bike last night and was unimpressed with lights. The dip beam isn't too bright, although coming from the MTS I'm used to 2 headlights that both have dip and main beam functions, and the main beam gives a very wide flat beam that seemed to low for my liking. At least I can adjust that to be a bit higher the poor dip beam is another matter.
The dip switch was another source of frustration. It's fiddly to use and is located too close to the menu switch so that most times I operated the dip switch I also changed the dash display. On the Scrambler and 2010-14 MTS and many other models the headlight flash switch is also the dip switch. You pull it towards you to flash the main beam or flick downwards to toggle between main beam and dip. It is very conveniently located and very easy to use. The arrangement on the Supersport is a step backwards, it's crap.
Doesn't seem to be an issue at all with HID's.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
What's the "dip" light? Us US folks don't call anything a dip...other than someone who is an idiot.
Sorry. That's the UK term for the Low (Lo?) beam.

Reactions: se7en

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh No You Didn't !!!!!! I'm part Polish and My Farther was Polish and My Grandfather died in a polish prisoner of war Camp in WW11 uhaaaa !!! yes #### He fell out of a guard tower and the Prisoners beat him to death:D:D:D>:)
Was the prisoners German..?

I say se7en is dieing to know
Or at least thinking it >:):wink2:

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
57 Posts

To each their own, have you seen how HIDs look in halogen housings for oncoming traffic? Probably washed out, blinding with tons of glare, right? If the headlight does not have a proper projector, the light basically has no control as to where the light is emitted. There's no control as to how the beam is shown not just forward, but also sideways. As you've noticed by now, all higher-end headlights on cars are equipped with projectors. Why do you think halogen housings aren't equipped with HID's from factory? Google will provide a better in-depth explanation, along with many, many other forums.

TL;DR - Don't be a blinding prick and get the proper bulbs/kits for your setup, which is, no HID's for our SS's

.ck

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Who said I was installing HIDs on my SS? Not me.
I did use HIDs on the MTS with good results. It would have failed the compulsory annual MOT test that we have in the UK if it didn't have the correct low beam pattern

Reactions: se7en

·
Registered
57 Posts
Who said I was installing HIDs on my SS? Not me.
I did use HIDs on the MTS with good results. It would have failed the compulsory annual MOT test that we have in the UK if it didn't have the correct low beam pattern
Not intending to point fingers at you. General statement to those following the post.

.ck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I obtained some bulbs (Sylvania) to replace the stock items but I'm having a helluva time removing the grey wire clips to allow me to replace the bulbs. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts