Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 2018 sss from a secondhands bike dealer, who claims that this bike has never been crashed nor hit the ground.
Actually the milleage is perrty low and the whole covers did looks shiny,so I bought it without any hesitation.
Now it's been 1 week since then, I suddenly found the big gap between the keyhole part (sorry I don't kown how to put that in decent English), and the fuel tank.
I know that's rediculars, every day I ride it, and it still takes me 7 days to find that XD.
What makes me cocern is, is that gap comes from a reassembling after a crash?because the two screws on the keyhole part is obviously screwed before.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
Welcome @enzo233 Very glad you joined us!

It does look odd...but maybe not crashed, could also be something tried to steal the bike before you got it by prying at the ignition assembly.

Btw, what part of the World are you from?

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I wouldn't worry. Mine looked the same, I bought the bike new and it hasn't been down:

The cover is just rubber, so I backed the screws out and then re-tensioned them.

Tightening the screws deform the rubber. The order they're tightened will result in a differing fit. It looks as if the screws on yours have been in and out a few times, the previous owner probably had a phone mount similar to the one I'm using.

As an aside, it looks as if I have some swirls to polish out. Flash photography shows them up...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome @enzo233 Very glad you joined us!

It does look odd...but maybe not crashed, could also be something tried to steal the bike before you got it by prying at the ignition assembly.

Btw, what part of the World are you from?
Thank you for your reply! It REALLY looks odd, the bike theft thing also crossed my mind when I found it.
I'm from china, mainland china.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't look right. It looks like the gas tank wasn't installed correctly.
Ah, I think it's actually not easy to install a gastank uncorrectly, I mean, it's such a solid metal object, how can somebody make it fixed by all the screws and dosen't install it correctly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't worry. Mine looked the same, I bought the bike new and it hasn't been down:

View attachment 40827

The cover is just rubber, so I backed the screws out and then re-tensioned them.

View attachment 40828

Tightening the screws deform the rubber. The order they're tightened will result in a differing fit. It looks as if the screws on yours have been in and out a few times, the previous owner probably had a phone mount similar to the one I'm using.

As an aside, it looks as if I have some swirls to polish out. Flash photography shows them up...
WOW thank you, really helpful.
I'll try to retighten these screws later.
As you said, it's a rubber part, so that gap makes sense now.
Btw, look like you washed your tank too hard before.. I'd suggest a tinting to your fuel tank, could do some good to it

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@enzo233 Is that a scuff mark at the bottom of the pic, or just a reflection?

Btw, we love riding pics here. If there’s any pics you might share sometime of riding through China that would be great!

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
...Btw, look like you washed your tank too hard before.. I'd suggest a tinting to your fuel tank, could do some good to it
No, just paint swirls. You can't see them under natural light but these photos were taken up close with a flash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@enzo233 Is that a scuff mark at the bottom of the pic, or just a reflection?

Btw, we love riding pics here. If there’s any pics you might share sometime of riding through China that would be great!
Did you mean the mark on the bottom of the black rubber part? I think that's a stain, dirts and water flies up from the front wheel when riding on wet surfaces, that's the cause maybe.
I did buy a gopro session5, I'll come here and post something when I get some nice shot, at least something I think it's nice myself LoL

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
Oh, it’s good only dirt... as Steve mentions, just try realigning the rubber part.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
maybe this can help you guys
@enzo233 @theresanothersteve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe this can help you guys
@enzo233 @theresanothersteve
I thought it's impossible that a fuel tank could have any fitment question, it seems I'm so wrong...
It's been rainning for weeks, when I get chance, I'll try the screws thing steve mentioned first, if not sovled, I might have to pay a visit to the ducati dealer thich is 300KM away from my city🤣.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
300km! Oh, my... Let us know how it goes. Hopefully just the rubber cap!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I thought it's impossible that a fuel tank could have any fitment question, it seems I'm so wrong...
It's been rainning for weeks, when I get chance, I'll try the screws thing steve mentioned first, if not sovled, I might have to pay a visit to the ducati dealer thich is 300KM away from my city🤣.
Definitely try first exchange mails with pictures and our experience from forum, what was going on with other dealers :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Took a look at mine today, just to check and I have a gap too. Never really looked before, but I guess when I am riding it's not a bit of the bike I can see. Not very worried about it though...

·
Registered
2019MY Ducati Supersport S
46 Posts
@enzo233 @theresanothersteve @allwoodd I am late in on this post. I had noticed the fuel tank alignment issue on my Supersport S I purchased second hand a few months ago. Anyway finally went in for fixing. Turns out there is a Ducati bulletin (solution) for this known problem, which is essentially rerouting some under tank cables/tubes. Anyway now looks good, although the misalignment had caused some marking on the red frame (not visible usually and dealer put on some clear coat). Got a great look at the bike without fairings and tank!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Similar to mine. Another reason screws may have been off, my CF GoPro mount uses those screws. Will have to zoom in to see. A7CB4C4B-C927-4739-A3B7-C07765ED427B.jpeg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Same issue on mine from new. I adjusted it and quickly forgot, loads of terrible build quality issues with these bikes, I just learnt to live with it.

Matt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts