Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Purchased Used, Preventative maintenance?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Lopez0101 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have my '17 Supersport S for about a week now. Rode it twice in good weather, absolutely love it.

I got the bike with 4500 miles. Pretty low mileage. Previous owner seemed very responsible, but never the less. I do not know when the last maintenance was done, other than the first 1k miles service. I would like to start with a clean slate.

So far I am thinking:

1. Motul 4T 7100 15w50 oil
2. OEM Ducati oil filter
3. K&N DU-1006 Air Filter
4. EBC Double-H Sintered Pads
5. Shorai Battery

Does this sound sufficient? Or is there anything else I should be looking at.

Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like overkill for 4500 miles.

The bike has a annual reminder for oil changes (1 year or 9k miles I think). So if it isn't displayed you are likely good (unless you're like me and don't like to put more 6k before an oil change). So far as the rest, I wouldn't replace the remainder until it's due per the manual. Many bikes have a battery charger connection, you might install one and purchase a battery charger.

Regarding the brakes, I'd just inspect the pads and see. Since the brakes are so good on that bike,I am not so sure that HH is the best compound.

If it were me, I'd ride it for a while and check the oil level, tires and adjust the chain. I'd recommend you get a rear stand and the appropriate tools.

If you want to a little more power, get a 14 tooth front sprocket, that will wake the bike up.

#4 ·
Sounds like overkill for 4500 miles.

The bike has a annual reminder for oil changes (1 year or 9k miles I think). So if it isn't displayed you are likely good (unless you're like me and don't like to put more 6k before an oil change). So far as the rest, I wouldn't replace the remainder until it's due per the manual. Many bikes have a battery charger connection, you might install one and purchase a battery charger.

Regarding the brakes, I'd just inspect the pads and see. Since the brakes are so good on that bike,I am not so sure that HH is the best compound.

If it were me, I'd ride it for a while and check the oil level, tires and adjust the chain. I'd recommend you get a rear stand and the appropriate tools.

If you want to a little more power, get a 14 tooth front sprocket, that will wake the bike up.
The annual reminder is flashing. I originally thought that a was a reminder for more than just an oil change. A quick google proved me wrong. On my previous bikes I would also do an oil change approximately every 6k miles.
I did a little reading on the forum and it seems that no one is really a fan of the K&N filter for these bikes. I will be returning that. It will give me more piece of mind if I look at the current filter, make sure its oem and clean.
Looking at the pads, surprisingly they are very worn, both front and back. A little too worn for the mileage. I have had success with ebc brakes on my previous Zx636. Would you recommend a different break pad I should be looking at?
So I have put about 100 miles on the bike since getting it. Oil Level is fine. Chain is tight.
So I have been looking for a pitbull rear stand and can’t seem to find one. All the big places seem to be sold out of them. Any suggestions where I can check for one. One of my favorite pastimes is adding new tools to the box. What are the appropriate tools I should be looking for? Some Ducati specific specialty tools?
As far as sprocket, if I remember correctly, with a 14 tooth front sprocket, wont that kill the top speed?

I think the more interesting is to do the oil change if you don't have the history of the bike.
The rest is useless so you can wait. My bike is a 2017 with 13000 miles and it's still the same battery. I just changed the oem pads last week with now EPFA630HH in front and rear with basic kyoto.
The air filter must be changed in the same time of the big service at 18000 miles. It doesn't matter for you because you want to put a K&N.
What you can do is to clean very well the chain and something really important, check all screws and nuts if they're well tighted... 😅
The only history I have of the bike is the first service and some recall repairs. I use Shorai batteries in my Jetskis So I already have the special charger for it. For a few dollars I figured it’s a good thing to swap out while Ill be doing everything else to the bile.
Yes those are the same pads I ordered.
Hopefully I wont get to 18k miles too fast, I read that service can get a bit expensive. I have also been reading not amazing things with the K&N filter for our bikes. That it is smaller compared to the OEM filter? So I don’t know if I will be doing this replacement yet.
I did not mention it in my post but yes I will be cleaning and lubricating the chain this weekend also. Checking the screws and nuts as I go along is a great idea. THanks

#3 ·
I think the more interesting is to do the oil change if you don't have the history of the bike.
The rest is useless so you can wait. My bike is a 2017 with 13000 miles and it's still the same battery. I just changed the oem pads last week with now EPFA630HH in front and rear with basic kyoto.
The air filter must be changed in the same time of the big service at 18000 miles. It doesn't matter for you because you want to put a K&N.
What you can do is to clean very well the chain and something really important, check all screws and nuts if they're well tighted... 😅

#5 ·
Do an oil change, check everything else over and adjust things to fit you. Anything else is overkill at this point.

As far as brake pads, I do not believe the stock ones have a wear groove in them so if that is what you are basing the “very worn” to that’s not the case. I’d have a hard time believing the previous owner wore out all the brake pads in under 5,000 miles unless they lived on a mountain or raced it.

#8 ·
Maybe I am wrong about the brake pads. I assumed they were worn just by visual inspection; they looked very, very thin to me. Maybe they are thin to being with. I also thought it was odd that they were looking so worn. The previous own said he never raced it. He was an older gentleman so I do not feel as if he was lying to me. I am probably just wrong on how worn the pads are.

I purchased a Moto D stand. MOTO-D "Pro-Series" S/S Rear Swingarm Stand

It's a little cheaper than the pitbull. You can check around for tools but you'll likely need special sockets for the front and rear axles, hook wrench and torx to adjust the chain, and perhaps an oil filter socket. And probably a powered impact driver. I found the tool kit on ebay as well as the front sprocket. I purchased a plug in impact wrench at Lowes and upgraded some sockets and torx at Harbor Freight. You might have the common tools but I didn't.

Since the maintenance minder is on, you'll either have to go to a dealer to turn it off or back date the calendar on the dashboard display after you change the oil.

I have no idea if changing the gearing will affect top end but my guess is that it might. I think the bike will hit 150 which is fast enough for me. But the power change is noticeable, the gearbox ratios are close, so despite a little long in first and lower gears, 6th gear is tight and not an "overdrive".

So far a brakes go, this bike has the best brakes I've ever encountered. I use HH pads on all my other bikes. Someone posted here that Ducati uses a softer compound (I have no personal knowledge) than HH. Since I like these brakes, I'd do a little research.

I'd for sure put a charging port on the battery. Once you've taken the fairing off, you'll know why.

Thanks! Ill do some research on the sockets and hook wrench. I have plenty of torx and impact drivers and oil filter sockets. I always like having the right tools for my toys.

Could you link me to the sprocket you purchased? 150mph is more than enough for me. I rather have a more responsive bike. I rarely hit those high speeds anyway.

Yikes, pretty much all the dealers in my area are closed. Does the bike have a obd2 type port that the dealer uses to reset. I’m sure if that’s the case there has to be a cable on ebay and the software around here somewhere?

Maybe I will go ahead and order oem pads instead of the HH, I will also do some research on the brakes.

There is already a charging port on the battery. The shorai battery takes a different charger with a different port, So I have to swap it out anyway.

Usually I like to know what I am working will. I want to take the bike apart anyway just to see where what is. It’s a good time to change the battery so I wont have to do it again later.

Thank you for your input!

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but you have to get a dealer to cancel the service indicator. PITA! And, they can't do it until it starts to flash. So the fact that it's flashing doesn't necessarily mean that the service wasn't done. But better to be safe and change the oil and filter. BTW, despite what the manual says, the service counter triggers at the Km service interval. Take the bike in at 9,000 mls and the service indicator won't have triggered. You'll then have to take it back a few hundred mls later if you want it reset.

I too have a hard time seeing how the previous owner got through brake pads that quickly, unless he dragged them all the time. I live in the mountains, trail brake, and I'm still on my first set at 20,000 mls.

Tires will probably need replacing soon. Lot's of suggestions on this site. I found Dunlop RoadSmart 3's are perfect for the way I ride this bike. I average 6,500 mls a set.... no idea how folks make these last 10k on FJ1300's. I must be having way too much fun.

My chain was shot at 10k. But replacement EK shows little sign of wear at 20k. I didn't replace sprockets as the rear was $250. Thought I'd go 2 chains per sprocket change. But have since sourced a replacement from Italy, at under $100 for both.

Valve services are EXPENSIVE. Mine was nearly $2 k. Fortunately, I have a service contract that should cover me through the second one at 37,000 mls.

Best thing to do with this bike is ride it. I'm sure that a 2017 with only 4,500 mls is feeling very neglected. Enjoy!

Does the dealer use a obd2 type connector and software to reset the reminder? The closest dealer open from me is about 1.5 hours and they are PACKED! I am sure with the right software and cable it can be easily done at home. I looked and saw ebay has plenty of 4 pin obd2 adaptors and software for other Ducati bikes, although non of the listings mention the supersport. I wonder if the supersport has the same type cable?

Ill take a picture of the pads while they are on the bike tonight and you guys can tell me if I am crazy or not.

Could you please link me to the chain and sprockets you purchased.

I wish I could put that much mileage on the bike, but I just don’t see happening. I maybe get to ride once a week. I look forward to riding it every day. I am sure it does feel neglected. At least I can give it some love by washing it weekly. (soap for matt paint is EXPENSIVE (sad face). Once I receive the led lights next week, I can do some riding at night. I tried it the other night and even with high beam on, I couldn’t see a thing

On my last bike (zx636) I baked the headlights open and retrofitted morimoto projectors with hids. That was the best mod I did on the bike, riding at night was clear as day without blinding others on the road. I am kind of skeptical to do the same for the Ducati at the moment. Will give the led lights a try first.

Luckily I am far away from the valve service, but 2k is pricy. I guess that’s why we have Italian stallions and not KIA’s version of a motorcycle lol.

#6 ·
I purchased a Moto D stand. MOTO-D "Pro-Series" S/S Rear Swingarm Stand

It's a little cheaper than the pitbull. You can check around for tools but you'll likely need special sockets for the front and rear axles, hook wrench and torx to adjust the chain, and perhaps an oil filter socket. And probably a powered impact driver. I found the tool kit on ebay as well as the front sprocket. I purchased a plug in impact wrench at Lowes and upgraded some sockets and torx at Harbor Freight. You might have the common tools but I didn't.

Since the maintenance minder is on, you'll either have to go to a dealer to turn it off or back date the calendar on the dashboard display after you change the oil.

I have no idea if changing the gearing will affect top end but my guess is that it might. I think the bike will hit 150 which is fast enough for me. But the power change is noticeable, the gearbox ratios are close, so despite a little long in first and lower gears, 6th gear is tight and not an "overdrive".

So far a brakes go, this bike has the best brakes I've ever encountered. I use HH pads on all my other bikes. Someone posted here that Ducati uses a softer compound (I have no personal knowledge) than HH. Since I like these brakes, I'd do a little research.

I'd for sure put a charging port on the battery. Once you've taken the fairing off, you'll know why.

#7 ·
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but you have to get a dealer to cancel the service indicator. PITA! And, they can't do it until it starts to flash. So the fact that it's flashing doesn't necessarily mean that the service wasn't done. But better to be safe and change the oil and filter. BTW, despite what the manual says, the service counter triggers at the Km service interval. Take the bike in at 9,000 mls and the service indicator won't have triggered. You'll then have to take it back a few hundred mls later if you want it reset.

I too have a hard time seeing how the previous owner got through brake pads that quickly, unless he dragged them all the time. I live in the mountains, trail brake, and I'm still on my first set at 20,000 mls.

Tires will probably need replacing soon. Lot's of suggestions on this site. I found Dunlop RoadSmart 3's are perfect for the way I ride this bike. I average 6,500 mls a set.... no idea how folks make these last 10k on FJ1300's. I must be having way too much fun.

My chain was shot at 10k. But replacement EK shows little sign of wear at 20k. I didn't replace sprockets as the rear was $250. Thought I'd go 2 chains per sprocket change. But have since sourced a replacement from Italy, at under $100 for both.

Valve services are EXPENSIVE. Mine was nearly $2 k. Fortunately, I have a service contract that should cover me through the second one at 37,000 mls.

Best thing to do with this bike is ride it. I'm sure that a 2017 with only 4,500 mls is feeling very neglected. Enjoy!

#12 ·

I am getting tired of wearing out my Pirellis. I have RS3 (2?) on my Guzzi Sport. I like them. How do they handle on SS vs the Pirellis?

Thanks

#9 ·
I replied in another thread about the ebc pads. I've putted the racing ones (EP) and in really fast rides in mountains they're marvellous. But, indeed, useless for classic rides because for this, the HH standard are enough.

For the K&N filter, it's just plug&play. The air noise is higher, sounds better but 2 hours later on the bike, it's finally too high for the ears. It's really interesting if it goes with opened air box, exhaust changed, modified ecu...

#15 ·
I can't tell any difference in grip. Both would happily wear the chicken strips to within an 1/8" on dry roads. I hardly ride in the rain anymore, but the wet grip of both were good enough for me not to notice a difference.

For me, the Pirelli's started with two triangular a profile and tipped into corners for the first 1,000 mls or so Then they wore to a nice round profile for the next 1,000 mls or so. Then they squared off and where harder to turn than I like. The RS3's feel like the mid life Pirelli throughout their life.

These days I don't even check out the alternatives. The Dunlops are sticky enough, last long enough and are less expensive than viable alternatives.

#16 ·
@powerdbygarrett I looked at my stock filter at 9k miles and shook it out. I had a new one OEM one but didn't see the need to replace it. I'd stick to stock filters for proper filtration. What little gain there is from oiled filters isn't worth the trade off of all the extra particles your engine will ingest.

Not sure if the manual states the wear level for the pads, but they should be fine down to 1-2mm of pad material left. I'm at 14k miles and have plenty of material remaining. The engine braking is so strong you don't need to use the brakes much just cruising around.

I replaced my chain at 11k miles because the master link had stretched and didn't fit properly between the teeth of the sprocket. Pretty annoying that Ducati used some junk Italian chain brand.

Check your front brake lines on the throttle side of the bike. Mine were rubbing on the fairing and I wasn't the only one experiencing this when I posted about it.

As others have mentioned, I just ignore the service reminder. It's not that obtrusive anyway, at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.