Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice, suggestions, and feedback for an issue with my quick shifter that started several weeks ago.
I have a 2021 SuperSport - about 6,500 miles on it.
The QS works fine going up thru the gears - every ride, every time. I generally only use it from 2nd gear and up.
The QS has been acting up lately when downshifting - about 60% of the time it works fine. For the other 40% of the time it will not let me shift down using the QS. Or if it does decide to try to work I get that dreaded lunge forward if it does work. I do roll off of the throttle when downshifting. The other challenge is that there is no consistent pattern to when it will, or won't work?????
It doesn't matter whether the bike is hot or cold, the outside temp doesn't impact it one way or the other, and any other thing I've tried to figure out what the issue doesn't work.
I've experimented with downshifting at different revs, and that doesn't seem to make a difference either.
My guess is that it may be either a small mechanical adjustment, if there is one that can be made? Or maybe a software issue? Or I guess it could also be a part beginning to fail.
I should also note that I did not have this issue until the dealership did my annual service and put new tires on - is there anything the tech could have done that may have created the issue?
Thanks in advance for all of your expert thoughts, opinions, and ideas.

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
@BMont Is there any difficulty shifting manually?

If not, then a cleaning/adjustment of the DQS mechanism may help. If not, it may need to be replaced. Fortunately, the part is not that expensive and there are several threads where Members replaced the unit themselves.

No one has yet noted any software related issues associated with DQS on the Forum that I can recall since the bike was introduced in 2017.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply Ed. No issues shifting manually fortunately. That's one of the reasons I haven't taken it in for service - it's prime riding season here in NC. :cool:

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
You might try cleaning/lubing, perhaps some adjustment, first, to see if that helps. 2021 is still quite new with only 6500 on the clock. So hopefully it’s not failing yet.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Have you tried downshifting without rolling off the throttle? Or completely shutting the throttle?

The upshift won't work if you are decelerating, and the downshift won't work if you are accelerating.

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue is when I am decelerating - like going into a turn. I do completely close the throttle prior to trying to DQS down and am certainly decelerating too.
That's part of my confusion - never had any issues until recently.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
The only mechanical adjustment is lengthening or shortening the actuator rod, which adjusts the shift pedal toe peg height. If it was okay before it should be okay now unless the dealer adjusted it during the service. It shouldn't make a difference like you describe. Similarly, a different pair of boots (thicker sole etc) can change the relationship between your foot and the shifter, but I can't see that leading to an intermittent issue. There is no adjustment within the quickshifter itself.

It could be the start of quickshifter failure. When mine went it was noticeable on upshifts, not downshifts, but was somewhat similar to what you describe. If so, it will be replaced under warranty. Possibly the latest bike if heard of it happening on, mine is much older. And the one they replaced last time seems to be holding up...

Reactions: BMont

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
@BMont If it’s possible to somehow narrow the circumstances when it happens, it’ll make it easier for the dealer to replicate the issue and file a warranty repair. If it’s not possible to narrow the circumstances when it happens, and the dealer doesn’t immediately experience the issue, they might ask to leave the bike for further testing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem in my 2021 SS. It rarely works properly from 1st to 2nd, when downshifting it doesn't always shift smoothly to a lower gear either. I recommend you use it at revs between 5k-6k down and 7k-9k up....

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Mikkser - while I appreciate your reply and thoughts, the DQS is not designed to only work between 5-6k revs when downshifting. I know this from experience on my own SS, plus for other bikes I've owned, and other riders I've spoken to. My biggest challenge is that it will work sometimes, and then it won't work. It's a little disconcerting because it's hard to trust it.
Since I'm still under warranty, I will take it into the dealership, their tech is really good. Hopefully he will be able to figure out the issue quickly and get my bike back to me sooner rather than later.
I will update everyone with what I learn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BMont, I will tell you honestly that I paid attention to it when I gave it for the first service at 1000km. The mechanic said that everything is set up correctly and it works okey, after doing a test drive. Maybe it's specific to two-cylinder engines. When I drove the BMW F 900 R on trial tests, the QS behaved in the same way. I would like to hear the opinions of other users of the model released after 2021..

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a 2018 with 18k miles. I can use the QS at whatever revs I want without any trouble, though I tend to shift at reasonable points of the powerband. 1st to 2nd is the only one that is smoother at higher revs. The transmission definitely does break in over time and QS gets smoother.

·
Registered
21 Ducati 950s
28 Posts
I have a 2021 SS as well, I use the quickshifter for all upshifting. It works perfectly thru all gears going up even 1st to 2nd and no matter how low the RPMs and I never back off the throttle. I never had a smooth downshift with the quickshifter so I always use the clutch while downshifting bc I didn’t like that unstable lunge that occurred the few times I tried using it while downshifting

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a similar problem in my 2021 SS. It rarely works properly from 1st to 2nd, when downshifting it doesn't always shift smoothly to a lower gear either. I recommend you use it at revs between 5k-6k down and 7k-9k up....
I have a similar issue with my 2021 SS. It always struggles shifting up at high revs while accelerating, and apart from it being embarrassing as it bounces back in to the lower gear, it is dangerous if you have someone accelerating quickly behind you. Changing up at lower revs seems fine, but the Ducati website says it prefers high revs and to be firm. To be truthful for me the point of a quick shifter is to have super fast gear changes while you are accelerating, especially on a track day. Not a semi auto box for for rolling around town. I tend to use the clutch all the time now as it is just too risky (2nd to 3rd under hard acceleration always fails….though sometimes first to second does too). This seems to be an issue with quite a few 2021+ SS by the sounds of things. It also seems like We all seem to just put up with it and ignore it. Maybe worth a complaint to my dealer.
In regards to the blipper it tends to work well, though I have had it kick into neutral a few times. I always roll off the throttle and am firm with the downshift so not sure why. Rest assured though that you are not alone with this issue. Seems there are a few of us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 2021 SS. It always struggles shifting up at high revs while accelerating, and apart from it being embarrassing as it bounces back in to the lower gear, it is dangerous if you have someone accelerating quickly behind you. Changing up at lower revs seems fine, but the Ducati website says it prefers high revs and to be firm. To be truthful for me the point of a quick shifter is to have super fast gear changes while you are accelerating, especially on a track day. Not a semi auto box for for rolling around town. I tend to use the clutch all the time now as it is just too risky (2nd to 3rd under hard acceleration always fails….though sometimes first to second does too). This seems to be an issue with quite a few 2021+ SS by the sounds of things. It also seems like We all seem to just put up with it and ignore it. Maybe worth a complaint to my dealer.
In regards to the blipper it tends to work well, though I have had it kick into neutral a few times. I always roll off the throttle and am firm with the downshift so not sure why. Rest assured though that you are not alone with this issue. Seems there are a few of us.
I understand you... it's really making me nervous already. I recently asked a friend on an older model SS 937 and he too has the same feeling. If I knew how to set it correctly I would have been lying with wrenches under the motorcycle and turning the screw left and right a long time ago.

If there is an accessory QoS for our motorcycle, I will gladly replace this on a new and expensive motorcycle. I'll be crying soon. xD

Cat Vertebrate Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Carnivore

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Wez1809 Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Please introduce yourself (i.e. prior bikes, riding experience, pics if so inclined, etc) in the New Member section.
Hi Ed. Very much noted. I am currently traveling but will be back home next week. I promise to take some pics and send a proper introduction in the new members section as soon as I am back. In the meantime thank you for receiving me into this group and apologies for taking so long to introduce myself and comment on the many interesting topics that are discussed.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess that misery loves company........ Anyway, since my DQS worked fine for 15 months and over 5,000 miles before I started having my issues, and since I am still under warranty, it is going into the shop tomorrow. I will let everyone know what the dealer/tech finds out and diagnosis the issue as. My guess at this point is that the DQS will be determined to be defective and replaced, but we'll see.
Stay tuned for more. :cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts