Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm getting ready to be called mad by all directions here but this is my findings. The quickshifter on my S model does not like going up from 1st to 2nd (It also hates 5th to 6th and sometimes simply won't even change, could be as I'm keeping revs below 6k still and not hammering it, only even that high up in the gears for testing purposes)

But back to the 1st to 2nd issue. It feels as though it jams into gear then jerks away. Now I've read this is somewhat common in quickshifters from 1st to 2nd due to the timing difference required. I've accepted it and use clutch 1st to 2nd to ensure I look after her gears, but here's the thing. If I'm leaning into a turn and quick shift 1st to 2nd it's silky smooth, every time!!!!!!

Anyone shed some light?? I've played around at different RPM's, speeds, throttle positions etc. but my findings are upright it hates 1st to 2nd regardless, leaning it's silky smooth......every time.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Tips:

1. Don't use it in lower gears. Period. 1st to 2nd is a no go. All other gears are fine.
  2. When shifting, use higher in the rev range. I never use mine below 4k on the tach, usually.

I have had no issue using it when following those tips. Also, I have no idea why it might work better when leaned over...but how leaned over can you be while in first gear?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tips:

1. Don't use it in lower gears. Period. 1st to 2nd is a no go. All other gears are fine.
  2. When shifting, use higher in the rev range. I never use mine below 4k on the tach, usually.

I have had no issue using it when following those tips. Also, I have no idea why it might work better when leaned over...but how leaned over can you be while in first gear?
Hi. Yeah so I've been seeing this advice a bit to not use between first and second. This is my first quickshifter and it definitely feels like I'm safer using the clutch between 1&2 (I like to look after my things!)

2nd to 3rd is mostly ok and the rest are smooth as butter apart from 5th to 6th but as I said I'm probably not riding hard enough to truely test that out yet (new engine)

As for your question though of how far leaned over. An example would be taking off from lights and turning, I'll accelerate and tip her over and she loves to quick shift to second seamlessly! Not knee down type low lol but I do enjoy getting her over a bit. I've treid it many times to confirm. I will probably stop now in case it doesn't one day and it causes neautral or a rough change while leaned in accelerating.

Anyways I just find it really weird but something is causing it. Even if it's different technique by me whilst leaned without realizing it, but it is something!

·
Registered
66 Posts
After break in (600 mi) I have no problems to quickshift from 1->2. I hit occasionally false neutral between 5 & 6. But I'm sure it's my fault not to push it more firmly.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
Best with high revs (6 and above), smooth road surface...

·
Registered
229 Posts
The QS needs some miles to break in...I use it sparingly 4th to 6th only, avoid the lower gears until you get some miles on the bike...here's a tip: when the clutch has loosened up and you're able to select neutral easily, the QS will work better.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
The increased smoothness when leaned over is a bit of a mystery...

...Since you’re not hammering it yet on the straights, perhaps you might be loading the drive train a bit more when leaning over, resulting in a smoother shift.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My bike has 1400 miles on it, QS works fine in all gears, even at lower throttle position. Revs above 4k I would say.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tips:

I am leaning over when turning right or left from a stop light. I have no problem shifting from 1st to second while leaning in the intersection. I have no issues with any of the shifts. My issue is the quickshifter sometimes gets disabled, and I need to shut off the SS for a couple of minutes. After I restart, the quickshifter is enabled again. On other motorcycles without a quickshifter I have easily shifted up or down without using the clutch except for 2nd to 1st. I was able to manipulate the throttle to facilitate the shifts.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
It shouldn’t get disabled...have the dealer check it. As I recall, there was at least one other member who had a similar problem and the dealer fixed it.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
A more general thought for this discussion amongst Forum members: the amount and consistency of load on the tranny may be the underlying variables for the smoothest QS, rather than the rpm, or even gear, or other factors. And since we each have different riding conditions and styles, there may be no single answer to optimize a normal operating (and properly adjusted) QS for all riders.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Ok I'm getting ready to be called mad by all directions here but this is my findings. The quickshifter on my S model does not like going up from 1st to 2nd (It also hates 5th to 6th and sometimes simply won't even change, could be as I'm keeping revs below 6k still and not hammering it, only even that high up in the gears for testing purposes)

But back to the 1st to 2nd issue. It feels as though it jams into gear then jerks away. Now I've read this is somewhat common in quickshifters from 1st to 2nd due to the timing difference required. I've accepted it and use clutch 1st to 2nd to ensure I look after her gears, but here's the thing. If I'm leaning into a turn and quick shift 1st to 2nd it's silky smooth, every time!!!!!!

Anyone shed some light?? I've played around at different RPM's, speeds, throttle positions etc. but my findings are upright it hates 1st to 2nd regardless, leaning it's silky smooth......every time.
Ditto on the QS and gears after 9000km's....dare I say still no neutral when cold.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For me, it was a matter of getting used to how the DQS worked and where the optimum time to shift was. This includes left foot position under the shifter, speed and firmness of the shift. It all seemed to work much better once I realised the bike was not going to “learn” my style, I had to learn its. Kilometres also helps smooth things out, same as the funding neutral thing.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
366 Posts
It shouldn’t get disabled...have the dealer check it. As I recall, there was at least one other member who had a similar problem and the dealer fixed it.
It has been to the dealer multiple times. They even replaced the QS, and I still have intermittent episodes of it being disabled. I don't know if there are issues with the ECU.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It has been to the dealer multiple times. They even replaced the QS, and I still have intermittent episodes of it being disabled. I don't know if there are issues with the ECU.
We shouldn't need this. It should just work. The one on my 2012 Aprilia worked just fine 99.5% of the time... it's a 2012.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That really sucks. Must be ECU realated or possibly a problem with the actual shifts it doesn't like....

How's your shifts when not using the DQS? Should be silky smooth on this machine, mine certainly are, only issues are with QS, but I certainly haven't had it dissengage, yet......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Ditto on the QS and gears after 9000km's....dare I say still no neutral when cold.
Ha to all finding issues with neutral......
I came from a bike that had no issues finding N at all! So yeah I found it a little bit frustrating at first, but I have mastered it!!!!!! And I'm still before the first service too so I imagine it will only get easier from here! This is what works for me.

1) select neutral whilst still rolling, very easy from first but not so much going down from second. So select first then N, or,

2) once stopped, from first give it a QUICK, I say again QUICK flick up with a bit less pressure then you would to go into second. Works 80% of the time!!! I actually went out and partied when I found a method that works!! If you try and do it slowly and accurately it just doesn't work. QUICK!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Odd, I don't think I've ever actually shifted my SS without using the quickshifter. A couple times it won't go from 4->5 if I lightly tap it, and it isn't always happy downshifting if I'm still on the throttle, but otherwise it's been a great feature. I'm up to around 1100 miles on it now.

When I picked up the bike, the dealer recommended that I use the quickshifter and engine breaking to slow down as much as possible to help it break in quicker.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
When shifting, use higher in the rev range. I never use mine below 4k on the tach, usually.
I don't have a DQS but second the recommendations of Lord Pollster....anything below 4k on the tach is an unhappy place for rider and ride.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
MyEmily and gnelson... are your dealers still able to replicate and acknowledge the problem, and are they still working to get it fixed?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts