Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
MyEmily and gnelson... are your dealers still able to replicate and acknowledge the problem, and are they still working to get it fixed?
The Dealer replaced my QS last Thursday. I haven't been back to the Dealer yet. I am still having problems with the QS getting disabled.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
The Dealer replaced my QS last Thursday. I haven't been back to the Dealer yet. I am still having problems with the QS getting disabled.
Sorry you have to go through this!

This is a long shot, but have you had the wiring checked under the tank yet by the dealer? (Active recall.)

Several Forum members like Derek are familiar with the SS wiring. Team: are there any other potential wiring weak spots/connectors, etc, to/from the QS, that you might recommend checking?

Only other thing that comes to mind as mentioned earlier, is the ECU, but the shop should see an error recorded if it’s an ECU issue, and presumably they checked that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good point Ed. I’m informed that CR143 (the recall) only applies to VIN prior to ZDMVA00AAJB003911 so that might narrow things down a bit if your bike VIN falls prior to this.

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,723 Posts
!...Several Forum members like Derek are familiar with the SS wiring...
Only theoretically at the moment. I have familiarised myself with the wiring diagram so that I have a good idea what is connected to what and how but until I do a major service involving removing all of the body work, tank and airbox. I won't have a proper idea of the wiring layout.
But the intermittent aspect of the QS fault does suggest a possible electrical fault. The diagram shows the QS as only having 2 wires (colours unspecified), both going straight to the ECU, although there must be a connector somewhere, either at the QS or in the harness. Finding the connections and checking their integrity would be my first course of action.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
MyEmily and gnelson... are your dealers still able to replicate and acknowledge the problem, and are they still working to get it fixed?
They don't seem to think it's anything odd, and frankly my issue isn't enough to kick up a stir. I simply don't use it much for upshifts now especially lower gears. Mine seems to work good going down if I'm in the right rev range and braking pressure.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry you have to go through this!

This is a long shot, but have you had the wiring checked under the tank yet by the dealer? (Active recall.)

Several Forum members like Derek are familiar with the SS wiring. Team: are there any other potential wiring weak spots/connectors, etc, to/from the QS, that you might recommend checking?

Only other thing that comes to mind as mentioned earlier, is the ECU, but the shop should see an error recorded if it’s an ECU issue, and presumably they checked that.
The Dealer had the tank off to add the spacers and replace the fuel sender. They might have noticed if there was an issue with the wiring.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
The Dealer had the tank off to add the spacers and replace the fuel sender. They might have noticed if there was an issue with the wiring.
Unless other Forum members have further comments, I guess back to the dealer.

If you can identify a specific sequence of events that conisistently trigger the QS to disable, and you haven’t already detailed this to the tech so that he can easily replicate it, that might help him identify the issue. And for the tech to request further technical assistance from Ducati as needed if he can’t identify the cause. Sorry you have to go through this, but hopefully they’ll figure it out soon and you’ll be able to put it behind you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed this occurred twice to my bike. I don't remember how it happened the first time but today I had an issue similar to some folks - QS nearly stopped working / got disabled. I felt this happened because i shifted from 1st to 2nd in lower rpms (2-3k), downshifts also stopped working for my ride to work. From reading all the posts I guess the best time to use QS is after 4-5k rpm ?

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
I noticed this occurred twice to my bike. I don't remember how it happened the first time but today I had an issue similar to some folks - QS nearly stopped working / got disabled. I felt this happened because i shifted from 1st to 2nd in lower rpms (2-3k), downshifts also stopped working for my ride to work. From reading all the posts I guess the best time to use QS is after 4-5k rpm ?
Yes, higher rpm quick shifts are smoother...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I know when I learned to ride I had taken a course, and they taught us when shifting to clutch, shift and hold the shifter in position (whether up or down), then release the clutch, then release the shifter. So I typically do this to ensure a good shift.

Now with the quick shifter, are you guys holding it in the position momentarily after the bike shifts, or is it just a tap up/tap down? I've been experimenting with both and seems to work better when I hold the shifter momentarily until it's well into the new gear. However, tonight I hit a false neutral between 5 and 6 when I had it pinned and seen my dash light up red with the shift warning. I'm assuming the bike has an electronic cutoff and doesn't allow you to over rev, but still not something I want to happen if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok I'm getting ready to be called mad by all directions here but this is my findings. The quickshifter on my S model does not like going up from 1st to 2nd (It also hates 5th to 6th and sometimes simply won't even change, could be as I'm keeping revs below 6k still and not hammering it, only even that high up in the gears for testing purposes)

But back to the 1st to 2nd issue. It feels as though it jams into gear then jerks away. Now I've read this is somewhat common in quickshifters from 1st to 2nd due to the timing difference required. I've accepted it and use clutch 1st to 2nd to ensure I look after her gears, but here's the thing. If I'm leaning into a turn and quick shift 1st to 2nd it's silky smooth, every time!!!!!!

Anyone shed some light?? I've played around at different RPM's, speeds, throttle positions etc. but my findings are upright it hates 1st to 2nd regardless, leaning it's silky smooth......every time.
I also don't every really feel "safe" using the QS. My issue is more between 5th and 6th. Sometimes it will even lag and it's scary because it cuts out for a second and then will jump back in and is SO unnerving. I told the dealer about it and they are like.. We didn't have an issue on the test ride.. (for like 2 mins) It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it's just awful. So then they told me to just make sure I shift up in the higher rev ranges (8000 rpm and up). Just doesn't seem like it works like it should and it sucks because they don't seem to really want to deal with the problem. I love my bike but just wish I could use ALL that i paid for! My 2004 BMW R1100S is flawless... works like a dream every time. Just would expect a brand new bike to work better than a 14 year old one..

·
Banned
505 Posts
Yep mines exactly the same 5th & 6th can be a nightmare going up, i dont think the QS is up to scratch...I have also mentioned this before when changing up I now shut-off for a split second as if I was using the clutch, if you don't & you have the throttle open say at 6 -7000 RPM & hit a false neutral then the engine screams its Balls Off & when Not under load its not a good thing.
To be honest because of this problem I don't care for the QS I am quite happy using the clutch... the QS is really for the track.

Hopefully now I have the 1st service & put a few more miles on the QS may get better...not holding my breaht tho'

Having said all that the SSS demo [500miles on the clock] I have used twice now did not have the problem....strange

·
Registered
534 Posts
The quickshifter on my S model does not like going up from 1st to 2nd
I had it jam on me once recently (that is, it wouldn't shift from first into second).

Otherwise it's been fine. But I shift manually most of the time, since I mostly commute and don't usually have an unimpeded stretch to go balls out.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Good point Ed. I’m informed that CR143 (the recall) only applies to VIN prior to ZDMVA00AAJB003911 so that might narrow things down a bit if your bike VIN falls prior to this.
Hi @Rockrend I have only just seen this post. Because of my problems and the fact that they have replaced my wiring loom I think this relates to my bike. My Vin falls within this range. Where did you get this information from and do you have it in writing ? if so can you PM it to me. Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
5/30/18, I bought a nice, slightly used Ducati 848 Streetfighter. It has the Termi mufflers, and a few other goodies. Among the other goodies, is the DQS.

After putting up with that blasted contraption for 3 weeks, today I finally turned it off. No more missed shifts. The Shifter feels the way it should. No more exhaust farting and popping. I don't know if it came from the factory with the QS, or not. I was told that the PO added it. If I had been given the stock shift linkage, I'd take this thing off and sell it.

For me, and the 848, for what I do, the Quick Shifter stinks. Out loud.

*No anti-lock brakes on the 848 SF. No ride modes. It does have Traction Control; which I like. It's set on #4. Love watching the red lights come on!

·
Registered
165 Posts
My old iPad doesn't do this thing justice. It is much more handsome in person.

I normally buy a very slightly used bike rather than new. They're a much better value. I'm still biding my time. I'll find a really nice SS-S soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
agreed I almost pulled the trigger on one but comments about comfort steered me to the monster. I still think they are the best looking naked bikes, IMHO.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love Monsters also. But the low Seat was a turn off. I like the "Attack" position of the Streetfighter. If you ride it like a sport bike, it is very comfortable. It doesn't like going slow.

It wants to run. <Thats where it excels. This thing has me cornering like nothing I've ever been on before.

I'm hoping the Super Sport, when I get one, will corner, and handle much like the Street Fighter. But I'm going to turn off that DQS!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts