Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm going to turn off that DQS!
I’ve had no issue with mine, but as someone else said “I had to learn its ways, as it wasn’t going to learn mine.”

I just wish my ‘17 M821 had one. The same controls too. Switching back and forth, I have to be mindful of the different controls.

Life issues.

Haha!

ಠ_ಠ

·
Registered
165 Posts
To me, the Quick Shifter is like booze, coffee, or tobacco. If you have to get used to it, in order to like it, It wasn't much good in the first place!

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
My old iPad doesn't do this thing justice. It is much more handsome in person.

I normally buy a very slightly used bike rather than new. They're a much better value. I'm still biding my time. I'll find a really nice SS-S soon.
A friend of mine just sold his SF...an elusive yellow one. Bike looked amazing!!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
To me, the Quick Shifter is like booze, coffee, or tobacco. If you have to get used to it, in order to like it, It wasn't much good in the first place!
Interesting presumption you've made, Let us know how you like it when you have your SS-S. A lot of guys fail to setup the gear lever for their foot, and that's where the issues start. A quick fix is to adjust the lever for a fat or skinny foot.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
A lot of guys fail to setup the gear lever for their foot, and that's where the issues start. A quick fix is to adjust the lever for a fat or skinny foot.
Here is some reading material for when you get yours, and what amos is referring to.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Took the bike out for 2700km last weekend. The quickshifter seemed to behave itself for most of the ride, but in general I would say it is flawed. Between 1-2 at WOT, I had some of those where it would lag for a second or two and then boom full power. Like someone else previously stated, very unnerving. The other issue is between 5&6, had one or two false neutrals.

However, I will say I was on some very tight curvy highway (Highway 3A in British Columbia along Kootenay Lake) where I kept it between mostly 3rd and 4th with the occasional touch of 2nd and 5th. I was riding it hard and the QS was flawless in this range. My buddies couldn't keep up, albeit they were on more of touring style bikes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just did my 15k service. He checked out the DQS issue and noticed the problem. He said he's replaced them 4 times but nothing is working. Told me there is no point in replacing it as they just are not working right on the bike. Told me to actually call Ducati and complain. It sucks to have a bike that advertises a feature but it doesn't work. I can't really use it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
On the Street Fighter, I lowered the shifter. But then I drug it around a curve. So I went one full revolution up.

I just don't like the feel of the DQS. You don't feel it "click into gear".

My opinion works for me, only. I'm sure there a lot of guys that love the thing. It is kind of cool. I always say there is only one hard and fast rule: There are no hard and fast rules.

Ooooh...... Yellow. Yendor likes Yellow

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just got my DQS activated today. It works exactly how I expect it to up and down. I just shift firmly and with confidence and it goes 1-2 5-6 no issues at any rpm... except once in 6th when it was bogged down, I was trying to press down and it did nothing. I had to clutch was not the end of the world.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Having an intermittent issue with my DQS these days, sometimes it doesn’t work downshift.
Anyway, seems that it depends on how I release the throttle: if I simply let it close by itself DQS doesn’t shift, if I force the closure with my wrist it works again.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
Having an intermittent issue with my DQS these days, sometimes it doesn’t work downshift.
Anyway, seems that it depends on how I release the throttle: if I simply let it close by itself DQS doesn’t shift, if I force the closure with my wrist it works again.
Sorry Mario about the DQS, but thanks for letting the Community know. Would you plz keep us posted...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry Mario about the DQS, but thanks for letting the Community know. Would you plz keep us posted...

I'll talk about it when I'll bring the bike for the recall, but I think this is the typical issue that usually disappear when you get closer to the dealer :grin2:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just got my DQS activated today. It works exactly how I expect it to up and down. I just shift firmly and with confidence and it goes 1-2 5-6 no issues at any rpm... except once in 6th when it was bogged down, I was trying to press down and it did nothing. I had to clutch was not the end of the world.
Yeah, this is pretty much how mine is as well. When at speed, it’s just buttery smooth when upshifting, no issues what so ever, such nice a feeling! When going slower, upshifting from 1st to 2nd is a bit jerky so I usually use the clutch then, but that’s to be expected.

When downshifting, I find it works kind of the opposite to upshifts. Takes a firm push when in the higher rpms and feels kind of chunky but just buttery smooth below, say 4000 with little throttle, even from 2nd to 1st. I’ve only had one issue where i ended up in a false neutral between 3rd and 2nd, but that was also when rolling off the throttle.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
When downshifting, I find it works kind of the opposite to upshifts. Takes a firm push when in the higher rpms and feels kind of chunky but just buttery smooth below, say 4000 with little throttle, even from 2nd to 1st. I’ve only had one issue where i ended up in a false neutral between 3rd and 2nd, but that was also when rolling off the throttle.
Pretty sure you’re supposed to downshift with no throttle applied. My bet would be a much smoother shift.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
...I suppose holding the throttle open could interfere with the auto blipper?
No, there is no connection between the twist grip and the fuel injection, it's all done by the ECU and the blip is designed to match the engine speed with the wheel speed after the change. If you have the throttle wide open and down change you are going to run the risk of over rev.

Autoblip happens on downshift only, and it is best practice not to have the throttle open when doing so, even if you are changing without the quickshift.

Reactions: Rhino and Lambo

·
Registered
477 Posts
No, there is no connection between the twist grip and the fuel injection, it's all done by the ECU and the blip is designed to match the engine speed with the wheel speed after the change. If you have the throttle wide open and down change you are going to run the risk of over rev.

Autoblip happens on downshift only, and it is best practice not to have the throttle open when doing so, even if you are changing without the quickshift.
Yeah, I’m familiar with the basics of how the quick shifter works, so I’ve never down shifted with full throttle (seems like a bit of a crazy thing to do?). I was maybe hoping it would be possible to maintain a steady but small throttle opening for smoother corner entry but it seems doing so is loading the gearbox, making downshifts clunky. I did go for my last ride of the season today, and tried downshifting without any throttle and it was actually really smooth, almost as smooth as the upshifts in fact.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Yeah, I’m familiar with the basics of how the quick shifter works, so I’ve never down shifted with full throttle (seems like a bit of a crazy thing to do?). I was maybe hoping it would be possible to maintain a steady but small throttle opening for smoother corner entry but it seems doing so is loading the gearbox, making downshifts clunky. I did go for my last ride of the season today, and tried downshifting without any throttle and it was actually really smooth, almost as smooth as the upshifts in fact.
It takes a little getting used to but once it's done properly it works sweet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Sss has gone in for a new DQS.
It caked up last time i was home,worked fine using only the clutch .
In the ducati workshop the diag came up as a faulty ground!
But they couldnt find that and gave my Mrs a ring saying they needed the original gear peddle put back on otherwise they couldnt replace it under warranty,coz they had to take a picture and send it to HQ.
They didn’t charge me for swapping back to the oem peddle.
A little caveat there ,do not sell your oem parts no matter how old your bike is.

Cheers.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I admit I haven't read every post on this thread, but my two cents worth: the DQS on my S works perfectly throughout the gear range. I've found the key is simply being on the throttle for up shifts and off the throttle for downshifts.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts