Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fitted a rad guard yet? I'm guessing a black radiator behind the front wheel must look pretty messy after a ride in the rain? My last bike had a silver radiator which didn't show all the crap like black. I still put a rad guard on though, just to avoid a stone going through it. What's everyone else doing?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yep, I had the Ducati one fitted. Strangely for the U.K. it hasn't rained, so can't tell what it will look like, but it's pretty discrete, so don't see it being a problem

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got a picture of it you could take and post?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It does look neat and I'm tempted. But any guard is going to reduce the airflow. I've seen some high temps in traffic in the UK and a little worried about making them even higher.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in London and haven't had the fans kick in once yet
I've kept a close eye on my temps so far...Have you? In traffic she seems to run around 210 F 98C...I'm relatively new to liquid cooled bikes so I'm not sure if that's too hot or not.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've kept a close eye on my temps so far...Have you? In traffic she seems to run around 210 F 98C...I'm relatively new to liquid cooled bikes so I'm not sure if that's too hot or not.
Take a look at page 89 of the owner manual. Keeping a close eye on the temps without knowing the factory parameters is iffy.

The book says that temps higher than 250 F will trigger a "HI" display in the read out panel. IMO, the bike isn't being friendly and greeting you. :wink2: It means it is overheating and something needs to be done to correct the o'temp condition or to stop riding. :surprise:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Take a look at page 89 of the owner manual. Keeping a close eye on the temps without knowing the factory parameters is iffy.

The book says that temps higher than 250 F will trigger a "HI" display in the read out panel. IMO, the bike isn't being friendly and greeting you. :wink2: It means it is overheating and something needs to be done to correct the o'temp condition or to stop riding. :surprise:
I must have missed page 89 :wink2: because I did scour the manual for that exact info. Good eye, and thanks. In all of that being said it hasn't reached anywhere near 250F AND I've sat in 2 different work site stoppages for what I would discern as quite a bit of time. Once I get moving it quickly drops to around 180F. I've kept an eye on the coolant level(when cold) and that all seems good. As I said I'm used to air cooled engines so being smug about it doesn't help :wink2:

·
Registered
349 Posts
.......... As I said I'm used to air cooled engines so being smug about it doesn't help :wink2:
Sorry but never intended to be smug, but guilty of trying to inject some humor. Guess I failed at that, but thought I was helping you. Will be more careful if there is a next time. :smile2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry but never intended to be smug, but guilty of trying to inject some humor. Guess I failed at that, but thought I was helping you. Will be more careful if there is a next time. :smile2:
Sorry if the humor was lost on me. I do understand the use of coolant, was just mainly concerned what temp was too hot.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
ive noticed that once the bike starts getting hot the right side readout starts showing the temp. i set it to avg consumption, but ive seen to switch to temp automatically.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ive noticed that once the bike starts getting hot the right side readout starts showing the temp. i set it to avg consumption, but ive seen to switch to temp automatically.
I actually like the fact that it does this, From my understanding if you don't "save" a change you make, it reverts back to the last screen that the key was turned off on.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I actually like the fact that it does this, From my understanding if you don't "save" a change you make, it reverts back to the last screen that the key was turned off on.
i wasnt talking about saving a setup. ice seen it switch when i was at a stop, bike running all along. It could be to make the user aware of the temp.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like you need a motocross bike! Does the guard bolt straight on or do you need to loosen the fairing etc to get it in?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts