Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is something wrong with my rear brake?
For some reason I feel I have to push the pedal longer now until it starts breaking than before
The free play seems to be ok

Is it just me or are something wrong here?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Is something wrong with my rear brake?
For some reason I feel I have to push the pedal longer now until it starts breaking than before
The free play seems to be ok

Is it just me or are something wrong here?

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't think there's a recall in Europe on the brakes. At least I didn't have any listed.

Excessive pedal/lever movement is cured by bleeding the brakes. It is a known issue, which can be alleviated by using a brake fluid with higher boiling point or removing the catalysator that cooks the fluid. Latter being not exactly legal, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I don't think there's a recall in Europe on the brakes. At least I didn't have any listed.

Excessive pedal/lever movement is cured by bleeding the brakes. It is a known issue, which can be alleviated by using a brake fluid with higher boiling point or removing the catalysator that cooks the fluid. Latter being not exactly legal, I suppose.
There isn't a recall in Oz either, but Ducati has issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) for the rear brakes. Talk to your dealer. They replace under warranty on a case by case basis.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
There isn't a recall in Oz either, but Ducati has issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) for the rear brakes. Talk to your dealer. They replace under warranty on a case by case basis.
Did you have yours done ? and do you have a copy or any info you can PM me on the service Bulletin as Brisbane are not being forthcoming. I will need to get mine sorted as i have cooked my abs Cable and rear disk real good

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you have yours done ? and do you have a copy or any info you can PM me on the service Bulletin as Brisbane are not being forthcoming. I will need to get mine sorted as i have cooked my abs Cable and rear disk real good
Brisbane didn't know about the tsb when I took mine in because I had to almost ballerina my foot to activate the rear brake, they just said they need to be bled every year or so, and that's all they did. But it's working way better now.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I haven't sighted the TSB but the service manager knew about it and put my case through to Ducati.

It's down getting it done at the moment. They also found some cracking on inlet manifold rubbers and, knowing my bike gets ridden in dusty conditions, they put a claim through for that as well. They had all the brake parts ready, but we are waiting for the rubbers.

Like you, chasing a decent rear brake I overheated the rear disk. I was watching eBay for a replacement at the 'right' price and when one came up I was astounded it was my local dealer.

The trouble, as you found, is when you adjust the brake for the right amount of brake travel the pads can close when things warm up. This ends up locking the rear brake. So you either have a less than optimum rear brake or you get real good at adjusting hot brake parts on the side of the road. Been there, done that, got the burns to prove it. It was only when I got the replacement disk and started talking about the US TSB/ recall that I found there is a TSB in Oz.

Reactions: Rhino and Ed K

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I haven't sighted the TSB but the service manager knew about it and put my case through to Ducati.

It's down getting it done at the moment. They also found some cracking on inlet manifold rubbers and, knowing my bike gets ridden in dusty conditions, they put a claim through for that as well. They had all the brake parts ready, but we are waiting for the rubbers.

Like you, chasing a decent rear brake I overheated the rear disk. I was watching eBay for a replacement at the 'right' price and when one came up I was astounded it was my local dealer.

The trouble, as you found, is when you adjust the brake for the right amount of brake travel the pads can close when things warm up. This ends up locking the rear brake. So you either have a less than optimum rear brake or you get real good at adjusting hot brake parts on the side of the road. Been there, done that, got the burns to prove it. It was only when I got the replacement disk and started talking about the US TSB/ recall that I found there is a TSB in Oz.
:D Yeah you get real good at adjusting and freeing up the rear brake while the volcano is smoking. My riding mates have been quite impressed most of them are expecting the breakdown truck :D What is the right price for a rear disc ?
I have now resorted to pulling in the clutch and free wheeling every so often to see if it has started to grab on its own so i can stop and adjust or remove the pin and run with no rear brake. this is **** as with the gravel and sand that is on the roads in these parts (always on a downward corner) i use the rear brake often.
Im all out of steam at the moment so will try again in a little while but please keep me posted with any info you get. Thanks Stevo you old crow eater ;)

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
:D Yeah you get real good at adjusting and freeing up the rear brake while the volcano is smoking. My riding mates have been quite impressed most of them are expecting the breakdown truck :D What is the right price for a rear disc ?
I have now resorted to pulling in the clutch and free wheeling every so often to see if it has started to grab on its own so i can stop and adjust or remove the pin and run with no rear brake. this is **** as with the gravel and sand that is on the roads in these parts (always on a downward corner) i use the rear brake often.
Im all out of steam at the moment so will try again in a little while but please keep me posted with any info you get. Thanks Stevo you old crow eater ;)
I ground down a nut so it was thinner and threaded it with locktite on the plunger shaft. It is much easier to adjust, even when everything expands and the plunger is under load.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I ground down a nut so it was thinner and threaded it with locktite on the plunger shaft. It is much easier to adjust, even when everything expands and the plunger is under load.
😂😂😂😂 I changed the nut too. I used a Nylock nut so it doesn’t slip and have the spanner 🔧 stored it is now quick snd easy to adjust

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, contacted the dealer and even though I haven't seen this anywhere except on this forum, he confirmed that there is a recall on my bike because of this.
But they are still waiting for parts to fix this...
He offered to temporary fix this bleeding the brakes.

anyway, thank you :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts