Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently using PJ-1 Blue Label chain lube because it's what I always used, but I find that it tends to sling off. I apply it after I wash the bike and take it for a 5 mile spin to heat up and dry off. While the chain is hot I'll wipe it down with a rag soaked in WD40, dry that off with a dry rag, then apply the PJ1 until the chain is lightly damp (but most definitely not dripping with the stuff), usually two rotations of the chain master link on a partial/light spray.

What are you folks using that you like better? Or should I be applying it differently?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use Motul " factory " on the chain of my Ducat'. Previously, on the chain of my Z900, it was Motul " road ". Very good, the latter left a transparent and clean film on the chain. It held well but tended to throw just a little on the wheel, at the beginning. But with the "factory", no projection, it holds very well but is of white color, That makes less clean than the "road". For the application, a tour of chain By lubricating slightly and exactly the O-rings is enough. Rollers do not need it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Motul Chain Paste
Au GP de France, j'ai rencontré des gens de chez Motul. Nous avons parlé des lubrifiants pour la chaîne. Leur avis, "chain paste" est un produit d'appoint facile à transporter et à appliquer sur la chain, sur le bord de la route ou en étape, pendant un voyage par exemple, mais ça ne remplace pas " road" ou "factory" qui doivent être prioritairement utilisés par rapport à "chain paste"

·
Registered
430 Posts

The above diagrams explains where the lube is required. Not sitting on the surface (stops rust is about all its good for there), but primarily down underneath the roller and outer surface of the bush. So what type of product is going to be thin enough to penetrate down beside the side plates and penetrate into the rollers, yet be sticky enough not to fling off the chain? A very thin high solvent spray on lube that tacks up after a few minutes when the solvent evaporates away.

Quite a number of products of this type on the market, probably no one brand is that much different or materially superior. If the PJ-1 Blue Lube is this type of spray (thin initially to penetrate then tack's up) stick with it. I use Penrite Chain Lube, but they are an Australian only company.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Been using this since I found it about 15 years ago. Packaging has changed but formula hasn't. I don't clean my chain now, after using this, but every 800-1000 miles...unless the bike needs cleaning in between. BEST STUFF EVER. SERIOUSLY.

Goes on like water, so it penetrates very well. Dries to the touch in about 1 minute. Leaves a clear/white residue that is dry to the touch, so it will not attract road debris. Smells like coconuts, too. :nerd:

I honestly can't recommend it enough. Cheap, lasts forever. Works.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B00KMMFE8Y

·
Registered
998 Posts
I use Dupont Teflon Multi use lube. It comes in a blue and white can. Its cheap and works very well. I've known riders that make their chains last 35k miles with it, which is why I switched to it.

And it also smells like coconuts, which is important.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I use Dupont Teflon Multi use lube. It comes in a blue and white can. Its cheap and works very well. I've known riders that make their chains last 35k miles with it, which is why I switched to it.

And it also smells like coconuts, which is important.
I've wondered if the multi use and dedicated chain stuff is the same, only packaged differently. Smells the same, looks the same and feels the same. The multi use is actually easier for me to get AND I used to use it until they came out with chain specific can.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Been using this since I found it about 15 years ago. Packaging has changed but formula hasn't. I don't clean my chain now, after using this, but every 800-1000 miles...unless the bike needs cleaning in between. BEST STUFF EVER. SERIOUSLY.

Goes on like water, so it penetrates very well. Dries to the touch in about 1 minute. Leaves a clear/white residue that is dry to the touch, so it will not attract road debris. Smells like coconuts, too. :nerd:

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B00KMMFE8Y
I've been using the same for years with great success too.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've wondered if the multi use and dedicated chain stuff is the same, only packaged differently. Smells the same, looks the same and feels the same. The multi use is actually easier for me to get AND I used to use it until they came out with chain specific can.
I've not noticed it dry into a white residue as you'd stated. That's the only difference so far, it seems.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Odd, when I used the multi purpose years ago, it dried with a slight clear/white color, too. I assumed it was the Teflon residue that is in both products. Good stuff at any rate!

·
Registered
374 Posts
So I am currently using PJ-1 Blue Label chain lube because it's what I always used, but I find that it tends to sling off. I apply it after I wash the bike and take it for a 5 mile spin to heat up and dry off. While the chain is hot I'll wipe it down with a rag soaked in WD40, dry that off with a dry rag, then apply the PJ1 until the chain is lightly damp (but most definitely not dripping with the stuff), usually two rotations of the chain master link on a partial/light spray.

What are you folks using that you like better? Or should I be applying it differently?
One of my buddies used to support the factory KTM MX team and is still connected to that world. He collects swag at the races like nobodies business and keeps me well stocked with both Maxima chain cleaner and lube. Can't beat the price! Maxima doesn't sling off like some other lubes do and I've never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
516 Posts

This is what I use too.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Maybe it's just my eye, but does that chain look a little tight in that vid...?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
When chains are relatively cheap, I question whether all the money and time for lubing a chain is actually worth it. So what if you can get an extra 10000km's from a chain, that 10000 probably costs 3 or 4 times the price of a new chain. I am no numpty when it comes to motorcycle mechanics but is there any empirical evidence that demonstrates significant longevity over the cost of maintenance. Ongoing maintenance costs versus new chain cost.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
When chains are relatively cheap, I question whether all the money and time for lubing a chain is actually worth it. So what if you can get an extra 10000km's from a chain, that 10000 probably costs 3 or 4 times the price of a new chain. I am no numpty when it comes to motorcycle mechanics but is there any empirical evidence that demonstrates significant longevity over the cost of maintenance. Ongoing maintenance costs versus new chain cost.
I've wondered the same thing, but then I figured that a can of our favorite lube costs $5US and lasts about a year and a half, or so. The effort involved is free as it's mine, so maybe it will save the money of a new chain for 2-3 years longer. Seems legit to me. Guess it all depends on your perspective...and maybe it's just a mini game we play with ourselves to prove that we can...:laugh:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not in the maintenance game for longevity, at least as it's concerned with chains. I'm in it for safety. A well maintained chain is less likely to have a catastrophic failure due to any number of circumstances that may be avoided by cleaning and lubing it. The last thing I want is my chain coming off at a critical moment, worse if it causes injury to someone else in the process.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts