Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice Ducati have announced a 35KW version of the SuperSport:

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/supersport/supersport

The dealer principal here in Adelaide knew nothing about it and does not know if it will be available in Oz as a LAMS bike, but as they are restricted by both engine size and power doesn't believe we'll see it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There was a post about somebody with one of these bikes - upshot was it can never be unlocked to full power so waste of money unless you got lots to throw away

·
Super Moderator
5,638 Posts
I’ve been noticing it advertised as well...for the Hyper too as I recall.

For Euro restricted licenses? Perhaps only in that market...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ve been noticing it advertised as well...for the Hyper too as I recall.

For Euro restricted licenses? Perhaps only in that market...
so basically a SS permanently stuck in low power mode? god that would be miserable. step 1 buy a salvaged standard SS ECU and drop it in.

·
Super Moderator
5,638 Posts
so basically a SS permanently stuck in low power mode? god that would be miserable. step 1 buy a salvaged standard SS ECU and drop it in.
Yeah, inconceivable to me too...

Tbh, after more than 10,000 miles on my SS, haven’t even tried anything other than Sport mode level power delivery. Just not interested. Sun or Rain or Hurricane; Sport or Tour Riding, no matter to me, give me full power and I’ll modulate, thank you very much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In Europe we have a power limitation for those who obtain the license at 18, they can drive only motorcycles with power up to 35 kw. This SuperSport limited model exists since 2017.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There was a post about somebody with one of these bikes - upshot was it can never be unlocked to full power so waste of money unless you got lots to throw away
Where did you hear that it’s not possible to unlock it? Usually it’s just an electronic limitation in the ECU, so it’s changeable with a new map but has to be done by a dealer so that the registration information with the transport authorities gets properly updated. In the EU at least.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,584 Posts
With the introduction of Euro4 rules for 2017, A2 restricted bikes have to built to have maximum 35kw output and cannot be derestricted.
Having said that the restriction is probably mainly down to the ECU, although there may be changes to the camshafts and throttle bodies too. Any or all of which could be changed - but at what cost?

·
Registered
477 Posts
With the introduction of Euro4 rules for 2017, A2 restricted bikes have to built to have maximum 35kw output and cannot be derestricted.
Having said that the restriction is probably mainly down to the ECU, although there may be changes to the camshafts and throttle bodies too. Any or all of which could be changed - but at what cost?
Interesting, I’m seemingly out of date but then again A2 bikes didn’t even exist when I got my license. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
So get one of these 35kw hair dryers … + 1 x monster 1200 engine bit of mechanic spanner wrenching and La-Laa-la-laaaaaa 0:) A Ducati Supersport 1200 cheeper than a 939 :nerd:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where did you hear that it’s not possible to unlock it? Usually it’s just an electronic limitation in the ECU, so it’s changeable with a new map but has to be done by a dealer so that the registration information with the transport authorities gets properly updated. In the EU at least.
Was a post can't find now. Party had restricted bike and went to put Akro full system on and dealer couldn't because can't up map the ecu. So sounds like the ecu is locked. Probably could drop in a new ecu or maybe override with rapidbike or reflash ecu. Where the is a will there is a way but sounds like Ducati has fully locked out this bikes ecu.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I thought its more like a limiter that can be unlocked later, aint it?
No it's not. EU law now demands that the power restriction is tamperproof, so the bike is permanently 35kw.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No it's not. EU law now demands that the power restriction is tamperproof, so the bike is permanently 35kw.
I thought the law said that A2 bikes restricted to 35KW are only allowed to have 70KW without restriction. But you are allowed to remove the restriction and get the maximum of 70KW, once you are allowed to drive bikes with more power.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I'm having difficulty in finding evidence online but I am 99% sure that from January 2017 all new A2 class bikes have to built to meet the 35kw figure and cannot be derestricted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, inconceivable to me too...

Tbh, after more than 10,000 miles on my SS, haven’t even tried anything other than Sport mode level power delivery. Just not interested. Sun or Rain or Hurricane; Sport or Tour Riding, no matter to me, give me full power and I’ll modulate, thank you very much.

You have me excited. I have had mine in Urban mode for the first 500 miles and planned to swap out of it this weekend!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm having difficulty in finding evidence online but I am 99% sure that from January 2017 all new A2 class bikes have to built to meet the 35kw figure and cannot be derestricted.
I'm pretty sure that would defeat the purpose of having A2 Bikes like the Kawasaki Z900 A2 with 70KW instead of the standard Z900 with 92KW. Being able to derestrict back to 70KW is one of the reasons people with an A2 license buy those bikes instead of a cheaper unrestricted 35KW bike.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If you wade through this EU regulation. There is an amendment specifying that an A2 category vehicle cannot have part commonality with a model with twice or more the power in such a way that replacing the parts would allow the bike to exceed rated power (Annex II section 5.1), and that restriction devices must be designed to only be removable by the manufacturer (Annex II section 3.2).

And from 2017 manufacturers cannot restrict a bike with a trivial-to-remove restrictor, and they cannot sell a restricted version of a high-power bike with part commonality (e.g. no A2-legal Busas).
Bikes CAN be restricted or de-restricted, but only by the manufacturer (Annex III section 4.1)

If I come up with anything more conclusive (and easier to read) I will post it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts