Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of members have noted how easy it is to remove the front reflectors from those beautiful front Ohlins forks, so I decided to do the same. They’re just “stuck on” the fork, and easily removed.

What surprised me a bit was when I removed the reflectors, was finding some marks on the fork underneath the reflectors. In fact, the marks were small and I didn’t notice them until a day or so later, and then thought: how did that happen?

Upon closer inspection it was clear what happened...only part of the reflector has the rubber sticky pad - the part that rests on the narrower section of the shock.

The part of the reflector that rests on the wider section of the shock has no pad...and after thousand of miles of vibrations of the part of plastic reflector without the pad against the unprotected shock...well, you know.

The marks are not that noticeable, and still deciding if I’ll put the reflector back or not so it won’t show.

So I guess the leaning here is, if the reflectors are going to come off the Ohlins, then take them off right away, before vibrations have a chance at the fork.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The part of the reflector that rests on the wider section of the shock has no pad...and after thousand of miles of vibrations of the part of plastic reflector without the pad against the unprotected shock...well, you know.

The marks are not that noticeable, and still deciding if I’ll put the reflector back or not so it won’t show.
The other option is to suspend the front of the bike (headlift stand or one of those full bike stands), remove the front wheel, loosen the upper and lower triple clamps and "clock" the fork tube so the marks are facing inside. Or - have the shop do it the next time you are having the front tire changed.

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other option is to suspend the front of the bike (headlift stand or one of those full bike stands), remove the front wheel, loosen the upper and lower triple clamps and "clock" the fork tube so the marks are facing inside. Or - have the shop do it the next time you are having the front tire changed.
Wow, creative idea!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I lost one of the reflectors during the first ride back home from the dealer, I came the day later for tell this and the guy removed the other one saying that I was lucky that it was so easy to do this without leaving glue on the fork...

But are they mandatory or not?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I lost one of the reflectors during the first ride back home from the dealer, I came the day later for tell this and the guy removed the other one saying that I was lucky that it was so easy to do this without leaving glue on the fork...

But are they mandatory or not?
Mandatory...well for U.S. Department of Transportation requirement, yes. Will I get a ticket for them being removed from the bike, highly unlikely

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
66 Posts
I removed mine on the way home on the day I bought it. In fact they almost fell off. Required when they sell you a new bike. Not necessary in the UK for the annual MoT test according to my dealer.

Z

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mine weren't even installed when I picked up the bike. They knew better, or maybe the fell off in transit with their notoriously poor adhesive.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I also removed mine on the showroom flooor. They looked terrible and that double sided tape is a ridiculous way to attach anything that you want to stay on a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love that Ducati used very light adhesive for both the fork reflectors and frame information stickers. It's as if they knew everyone would take them off.

Thanks, Ducati!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts