Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride Apart just posted their review here:

We Ride the 2017 Ducati SuperSport and Like it! | RideApart

They do a pretty good job with their review but seem think that a bike like this requires a 400 hp engine. They ding it on the track because they only got it up to 150 MPH on the straight. Then they go on to point out that it has more than enough power for use on the road. But when summarizing their experience at the end they add:

"What I Didn’t Like
About the only thing that I didn’t like was that the SuperSport engine is a little weak for my taste. But we’re talking about a brand-new bike and this is the worst I can say about it. So that isn’t too bad. Right?"

Well, no, that's not too bad since it actually has plenty of power for it's intended use. A couple of guys I know have been saying essentially the same thing. "It ONLY has 113 HP, my fill-in-the-blank bike has a lot more than that." Seriously guys? And where in the real world do you get to ride at 200 MPH? I mean without killing yourself or someone else? I think that people either get this bike or they don't. For me, this is the bike I have been waiting for Ducati to build for many years. They lost me with the hypers and multi's and their duck bill adventure styling. The monsters never got my attention. I love the style of the Panigale's, but they do not appeal to me as a street bike. As an over-the-top sexy motorcycle of the gods? Yes! But I don't ride that way.

The Supersport ticks all of the boxes, for me, and I can't wait to ride one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My feelings exactly. Can't ride the superbikes to anything near their limits on the street, and hate the looks of bolt-upright adventure bikes. This is the practical sport bike that most people don't know they want.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Where I live and the area I ride in, other than on our Motorways (legal limit 70mph) it's just not possible to make use of more than around 110 bhp. Seriously a **** fine rider on something like a street triple is unbeatable. The best thing you can have is great handling and fine brakes.

We all know these biking journalists are riding gods (some seem to think they are) with huge kahunas but the rest of us?
This bike will just do fine in the real world. Its more than quick enough and could never be used to 100% of its abilities on the road, it's just to easy to lose your licence these days.

From all the reviews they say how fine the ride and handling is so I'm sure its going to be an exciting and rewarding ride on the roads.

·
Registered
349 Posts
See, that is where I differ with the people saying "that is too much power or you can't use that power on the street", etc. when referencing speedy rides. My current ride is a M1200R and I can assure you that I use a lot of those 160 ponies and torque on the street. I just don't try to do top end in town. But I dearly do love to pull hard from stops. >:)

When my 939SS arrives I will do a test ride and if it feels gutless I will not accept it. However, knowing that it is not a true go-fast ride, I do not expect to be disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
6,137 Posts
M1200R...enjoyed riding one of those the other day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts