·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m leading on my 2021 950 SSS
Long time riding buddy following on his
Honda CBR 954RR that he tours on. This was part of a 2000 mile trip for me
Many other vids on this YouTube channel
of me leading in New Mexico and Arizona mountains. Including most of the infamous AZ 191 formally was AZ 666 or the devil’s highway. About 90 miles long so many curves you get tired of them

Timberon to Cloudcroft

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Agreed. Scary to me the way it falls into curves
My 900rr with 16 inch from wheel was even worse. He loves it has over 60000 miles on it
I put over 90000 on my Cbr900rr. Very reliable bikes. I love my new 950sss. It’s the best handling bike I’ve ever owned.
Never got to ride a 900RR but I had an '01 929, '02 954 and '07 1000RR, all progressively faster but to me the sweet spot of handling was the 929RR; still one of my favorite bikes of all time. I feel like the Supersport is a combination of that old 929 and my old '98 Superhawk with a little VFR mixed in (owned a bunch of them) wrapped in a modern chassis with some electronic gizmos (minus a cruise control, I'm not yet giving up on it, Ducati).

Or to me the (almost) perfect motorcycle :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
What a good road. Another one I want to ride. I noticed quite a bit of traffic but liked the way the "Devil" took care of it. I missed (again) the Guzzi New Mex Rally and that ride would've been on the way.

I guess it's appropriate for the Dust Devil to ride 666!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AZ 191 used to be 666. Not much traffic at all. You can’t get google maps to rout you onto that road. I’ve ridden from Timberon to Cloudcroft many times and this was the most traffic I’ve ever seen
Here is the start of the Devils Highway
The road surface has deteriorated over the past several years and one must choose wisely where to open the throttle
there are 6 parts
Part 1

dww954 191 part 6

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike. I also had a 98Superhawk. It was a great bike and I put over 60000 miles on it. The 950 S reminds me very much of the Superhawk but much more upscale and refined. I’m with you on the cruise control. No reason Ducati should not have it at all

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Mike. I also had a 98Superhawk. It was a great bike and I put over 60000 miles on it. The 950 S reminds me very much of the Superhawk but much more upscale and refined. I’m with you on the cruise control. No reason Ducati should not have it at all
Agree on all counts. I think I put around 30k on my ‘Hawk, around 35K on my 929, and under 10k each on the 954 and 1000RR, they are solid bikes, but I never felt about the last two as i did the first 2, lol!!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
good stuff. Maybe next year.....NM and 666. Heck, it's not fall yet.... Why aren't there any Duc rallies and 30 Moto Guzzi rallies?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Nice video - ridden from Timberon to Cloudcroft many times but always on dual sport (KTM 500)- nice road and love the area
Also have ridden AZ 191 on sport bike and man what a road

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice video - ridden from Timberon to Cloudcroft many times but always on dual sport (KTM 500)- nice road and love the area
Also have ridden AZ 191 on sport bike and man what a road
I’ve ridden my dual sport on the trails around Cloudcroft several times. Always a good time and always beautiful

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a KTM 525 that I made street legal. One off-road trip in Big Bend it threw me off so many times I sold it to get a bike that wasn’t trying to kill me. My little WR will go about anyplace and it doesn’t try to hurt me every time I ride it. A 60 hp KTM was to much for me in the dirt. I had no restraint

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Great stuff Craig. I'm glad you were able to keep that Honda at bay.

Was the road to Cloudcroft as twisty as Oark, Arkansas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John, it probably has as many curves but not as many tight curves. Many fast sweeping curves. Arkansas is a great place to ride but riding in the New Mexico and Az mountains is spectacular. The vistas are amazing and best of all the temps are in the high 60s and low 70 due to the elevation. Cloudcroft is almost 9000 ft. Parts of Az 191 is above 8000ft. Beautiful pine and blue spruce forrest. During the summer months they often have monsoon season and it often rains every day in the afternoon. Anytime after about 2 pm and you are risking a very cold soaking. Best to ride in the am to mid afternoon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m not sure I kept the Honda at bay. You can see from his tach he never gets above about 8000 rpm. He is also a better (braver) rider than me. I generally ride at about 80% when I’m getting after it. All these western roads have open range, you could come around a curve at 100 and find a heard of cattle in the road. There are also lots of deer, mule deer, and elk. Would not be good to hit any of them or slide on cattle poo in the middle of a curve. It’s not on the video but the next day a heard of about 10 Mule deer crossed right in front of us and we came to a complete stop while the jumped a fence bounced across the road and jumped another fence and ran up the side of a mountain like it was nothing. Beautiful to watch!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I’m not sure I kept the Honda at bay. You can see from his tach he never gets above about 8000 rpm. He is also a better (braver) rider than me. I generally ride at about 80% when I’m getting after it. All these western roads have open range, you could come around a curve at 100 and find a heard of cattle in the road. There are also lots of deer, mule deer, and elk. Would not be good to hit any of them or slide on cattle poo in the middle of a curve. It’s not on the video but the next day a heard of about 10 Mule deer crossed right in front of us and we came to a complete stop while the jumped a fence bounced across the road and jumped another fence and ran up the side of a mountain like it was nothing. Beautiful to watch!
I have a riding bud that's crashed two Guzzis into deer. Ride safe.

See you on the next ride! I need to get my Duc to the Rockies.

We're not fat, just big boned. But we'll keep up witcha in the hills. :geek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts