Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in other threads, I really like the Rosso III tires, but hopefully can do a long trip soon and will be needing longer mileage.

So I am currently at the dealer getting Road 5 mounted. They’ll also do the under tank wiring check.

Here’s a vid, that happens to be on an SS. Will post personal notes as I get them scrubbed.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20 miles home from dealer a few prelim impressions...but since not scrubbed yet, and tire pressures were a little off when I checked at home after they cooled, it’s too soon to draw any conclusions about the tires.

If the weather holds and doesn’t rain, I’ll scrub them properly tomorrow on some back roads, then let it rip, and report my impressions.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys and gals...

Just got back from a some back road sport riding on the Road 5s, and wanted to post a few notes while it’s fresh.

As a little background my rear stock Rosso III was down to the wear bars at about 3800 miles, and haven’t had a chance to replace it for a bit. So since it’s not safe to ride aggressively with tires going past the wear bars, have been babying it the last 600 miles to where it was almost down to the threads. F/R replaced at 4400.

The front Rosso III is in perfectly good condition about 50% worn. So I kept it, and after the Road 5s are done, will get a new Rosso III rear and remount the half done front Rosso, which should bring me to the finish line equally for the two.

So why did I go to the 5s? Well, the trip may exceed 4000 miles, and I don’t want to change tires on the trip.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how do the Rosso III and Road 5 compare???

I like the Road 5s, a lot.

But I can notice some differences. The Road 5 is an excellent tire, but is not quite as quick to turn as the Rosso III. How much of a difference? Not much! Little hard to quantify, but let me try.

If this makes any sense, my perceptions of the Road 5 is that it is 90-95% of Rosso III maneuverability. When aggressively sport riding, I noticed it to be a tad slower. Or another way of looking at it is to say it was a tad more stable. Without pushing it, just casual riding, the difference is not noticeable. Although I didn’t go to the track, there it would probably be more noticeable.

Other characteristics. Stopping and cornering grip, no noticeable differences when street sport riding. The Rosso III might have a slightly taller profile than the Road 5. But both Road 5 and Rosso’s felt very similar to me with regards to cornering grip and braking.

Road 5 seemed slightly more compliant, but both were very close.

In summary then, and this is only one perspective, and you guys may come to different conclusions, but the difference between Rosso III and Road 5 when street sport riding to me was maneuverability. And while there is a difference, the difference from my perspective is small.

Which I guess is what should be expected. The Road 5 is purported to be a sporty, sport touring tire. And my riding perceptions seemed to confirm that.

Although I will return to the Rosso III after the Road 5, I am satisfied with this purchase as I’m expecting more than double the mileage, while retaining 90-95% of the maneuverability of Rosso III, as well as very similar street concerning grip and braking power and feel.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,614 Posts
Did you compare the weights of the Road 5 and the Rosso III? I'm fairly sure that you'd find that the Rosso III is lighter which would help explain why it turns in quicker. In my experience Pirelli tyres have a very thin carcass. When you get down to the bottom of the tread there is bugger all left.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i am told that the road 5 (and same since pilot road 3) could be better than the rosso on the wet. let us know if you try it on a rainy day.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Thanks for the review, Ed. When the rear is gone, I'm replacing with same. 2 rears for every 1 front, most likely.

Also, you were comparing your most recent feeling and memories of a highly worn Rosso to a brand new Pilot. The 90-95% you mention may very well be more like 75-80% if compared new to new, no?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ive herd very good reports on the pilot road 3, if the new five is better than that, it's not going to be a bad tyre for road use. The 3 was supposed to be very good in the wet.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I appreciate peoples input here, however, to play the devils advocate; Rosso III = Best dry tyre but poorest wet weather (in its category). Judging by the media covering the Michelin Road 5, it probably swings to the opposite. I spend no time in the wet on the SS so I will stay with Rosso III's.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/news/2017/05/15/pirelli-diablo-rosso™-iii-elected-best-supersport-tyre-of-2017-by-motorrad-magazine/

BTW, I recently changed my Lexus tyres from Bridgestone RE002 to Michelin Primacy 3's (under multiple dealers influence) and frankly I am now scared sh!tless when I come to a bend in the road. I know the Rosso III's and will keep them.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Living in the UK, riding in the wet is all part of bike ownership. There's no doubting the Rosso3 is a great dry tyre, and finding a tyre that's great in the dry and wet is unfortunately a dream. That being said I'm interested in Ed's reports on the Road5, it could well be my next tyre.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,614 Posts
My next tyres will also be Rosso IIIs simply because I won a pair in a free competition >:)
But with the previous good experiences I have had with Michelin Road 3s and Road 4s on the MTS I will probably move to Road 5s when I've run out of Rosso IIIs.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts