Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 900 SSie, 2022 SS 950 S
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 310 miles on the clock. Starting to loosen up a bit, tyres just about run in. Gotta love those Pirellis - so confidence inspiring. This has reminded me exactly why i
:heart:
Italian bikes again. Getting into the groove of it, oh yes.

Very, very pleased.....handles like a dream, and haven't even has the suspension set up properly yet...I thought I would leave it until the first service to give it a chance to wear in....maybe that was unnecessary?

Still having to watch the organic rev-limiter (AKA the right wrist)....having to remind my self to stop the upward climb at 5 1/2 thousand to stop the trail turning that pretty yellow colour....but it seems to get there so effortlessly, it's almost a shame to stop it. Especially during overtakes and the old traffic-light GP. But once it's run in properly, I can see this is going to be a right hoot.

I think this bike is just right for me - not quite as extreme a position as my 900SS or the V2 that Cov Duc kindly let me have a go on.

Really glad that Yamaha had to issue the recall on the FJRs.....'cos if it hadn't have happened, I wouldn't be here now! I suppose everything happens for a reason...........

So just need to get the first service in before Winter takes a grip.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
The Dave Moss philosophy is that you adjust the bike to suit you, including a basic suspension setup, as soon as possible. When I picked mine up I rode it straight home and checked the bike thoroughly. Just as well, tyre pressures were down to 30 psi.

You need to make sure you have free sag at the back and enough preload/ compression damping that you are not bottoming the forks out under heavy braking. They are basic safety issues that must be checked as soon as possible. Make sure the bike is level, not squatting or leaning forward. In an ideal world, it should happen when you pick the bike up, but even some mechanics have little understanding of setting suspension, let alone the salespeople who do handovers.

It will be a dynamic process, not set and forget. As the suspension and oil ages, you will need to make fine adjustments even after establishing a baseline. Personally, I enjoy the process and keep a spreadsheet showing settings, changes, and the reasons for change. It also means when I get the suspension serviced I can return to a baseline established after a previous service and know the suspension is in a good starting position.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this. (y)

1st service in about another 300 miles...Will get it set up properly then. But still awesome, for "out of the box". How much better can it get???

Cheers

S23

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I think the dealer should set the sag while the rider is on the bike on the service stand.
Absolutely.

The only reasons I can think for not doing it is cost (another 15 minutes time for someone who'd otherwise be surfing the net) or worry they could be liable for changing suspension settings from those set at the factory. Both piss poor reasons in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Thanks for this. (y)

1st service in about another 300 miles...Will get it set up properly then. But still awesome, for "out of the box". How much better can it get???

Cheers

S23
Oh yeah, I thought it couldn't get much better as well...

...and then got it set up.

It is just so much better. Smoother and more comfortable, the frame feels like it is travelling in a straight line while the boingers keep the wheels on the ground, no matter how rough or potholed the road is. I travel a mile each way on a dirt road, which at the moment is severely eroded and pot holed but the supersport handles it with aplomb. (The road was one of the main reasons we stopped riding big bikes).

When you get it set right you will be able to feel the difference a couple of clicks makes on handling, something I'd never experienced before. That shows just how good it can be.

Reactions: Speedy23

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the dealer should set the sag while the rider is on the bike on the service stand.
i said the same thing to my dealer the other day when i took mine in for the first service. they told me ducati doesnt want them fiddling with the suspension. I said everyone is different in the way they ride and weigh but they didnt care. I ended up using Dave Moss to help me tune it.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
i said the same thing to my dealer the other day when i took mine in for the first service. they told me ducati doesnt want them fiddling with the suspension. I said everyone is different in the way they ride and weigh but they didnt care. I ended up using Dave Moss to help me tune it.
So why do they bother to make the suspension adjustable and include instructions (but not explanations) in the owner's manual?

Reactions: NothingClever

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I don't know why they can't do it if you pay them extra for their additional time during scheduled service.

In the future for a new purchase, I'd make it a condition before I'd buy it.

In your case it appears that your dealer really isn't competent to do the service since the bike has an adjustable suspension. Since they "didn't care", I'd find another dealer. Next time, insist before you purchase.

Perhaps a local shop might put the bike on a stand and work it out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know why they can't do it if you pay them extra for their additional time during scheduled service.

In the future for a new purchase, I'd make it a condition before I'd buy it.

In your case it appears that your dealer really isn't competent to do the service since the bike has an adjustable suspension. Since they "didn't care", I'd find another dealer. Next time, insist before you purchase.

Perhaps a local shop might put the bike on a stand and work it out?
.....because they CAN'T do it...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Absolutely.

The only reasons I can think for not doing it is cost (another 15 minutes time for someone who'd otherwise be surfing the net) or worry they could be liable for changing suspension settings from those set at the factory. Both piss poor reasons in my book.
When I bought my SSS I told the salesman that I wanted the sag set as part of the sale. They said "sure." When the tech got the bike on the lift he was annoyed that the salesman had agreed and that it should cost at least a half-hour of labor. Uhhh-huh.

·
Registered
182 Posts
well done Lopez. :cool:

It might be smart to avoid the guy for service with an attitude like that.
Haha, yeah. I bought it in Newport Beach. Then later went to a dealer that was closer in San Diego. Could have saved myself $500 on the "setup fee" alone. But now I don't live within convenient distance of a dealer, anyway. I asked one for a Desmo service quote. "About $2k and two months." So, I called their sister location, "$Around 1200 and two months." At least one of them was priced in line with what I've read. But, now I just plan on doing the valves myself and renting the tools!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Haha, yeah. I bought it in Newport Beach. Then later went to a dealer that was closer in San Diego. Could have saved myself $500 on the "setup fee" alone. But now I don't live within convenient distance of a dealer, anyway. I asked one for a Desmo service quote. "About $2k and two months." So, I called their sister location, "$Around 1200 and two months." At least one of them was priced in line with what I've read. But, now I just plan on doing the valves myself and renting the tools!
Let us know how the DIY works out for Desmo.

I'll also suggest that you purchase sparkplugs at NAPA and the timing belts from CA Cycleworks. That'll save you $120.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Let us know how the DIY works out for Desmo.

I'll also suggest that you purchase sparkplugs at NAPA and the timing belts from CA Cycleworks. That'll save you $120.
Those are the belts I got months ago and I already have everything else I need, other than tool rental. Just waiting until there is no more riding weather before winter. Or, it might be later; I'm still 1k miles short of 18k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well 1st service tomorrow....looking forward to the service indicator coming on at 623 miles. Should be about 1/3 way to dealer when that happens....

Noticed that she's a little bit lumpy...hoping doesn't need a throttle body balance or anything like that.

But it will be fun being able to rev it as it should be revved....8k here we come....

Then I will get the suzzies set up properly. Still handles like a dream, but general consensus seems to be that could be even better.

So will be visiting my suspension guy up in Telford before really bad weather sets in...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately the manual says 7000 rpm for the first 1500 miles so no 8k just yet
That is for the 935 Supersport......although it is ostensibly the same engine, handbook for 950 S gives no such guidance.

The head tech at the dealers recommended 1000+ rpm per every 100 miles past 600, which seems reasonable.....(PS the dealers fronts an internationally known racing workshop, so I 'spose they know what they're on about....)

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
@Lfcvince Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Member section (i.e. other recent bikes, rider experience, etc).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Unfortunately the manual says 7000 rpm for the first 1500 miles so no 8k just yet
That is for the 935 Supersport......although it is ostensibly the same engine, handbook for 950 S gives no such guidance.
There is running in guidance on page 73 of the 950 Owner Manual, but only up to the first 600 miles

Font Document Number Paper Symmetry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts