Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so looking forward to getting my SS 939 S but am just a little disappointed in the relatively poor spec compared to other bikes of similar price.

I would have thought that such a modern bike would be fitted with the Bosch cornering ABS system.
Heated grips should be part of the package (I'm told dealer fit and not available until July) and there should be an option for an integrated Sat Nav too.
Centre stand would also be a nice addition.

What do you think?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm so looking forward to getting my SS 939 S but am just a little disappointed in the relatively poor spec compared to other bikes of similar price.

I would have thought that such a modern bike would be fitted with the Bosch cornering ABS system.
Heated grips should be part of the package (I'm told dealer fit and not available until July) and there should be an option for an integrated Sat Nav too.

What do you think?
Ducati is positioning this bike as an "everyday sportsbike"

I think they might have felt things like centre stand and integrated sat nav might detract it from it's "sporty" image.
I agree with cornering ABS though. Although that might push the costs up and put it too close multistrada territory.

·
Registered
430 Posts

What do you think?
Heated grips are part of the Touring Pack. And that's fair enough because not everyone lives in places cold enough to need them, and making them standard would just unnecessarily increase the price of the base model. I will probably buy the Touring Pack if its not excessive, and probably never turn the heated grips on.

Only last week I was trying to figure if the bike has lean angle sensor ABS. Ducati's page describes it as:

The Bosch ABS system is a 9MP with integrated pressure sensor that can be deactivated or adjusted according to 3 increasing levels of intervention, which can be associated with the Riding Modes. Level 1, recommended for very grippy surfaces, offers track level performance with intervention only at the front. With the next levels, the ABS acts on both wheels, supporting riding on surfaces with less grip with the anti-wheelie function at the rear.

I went to the Bosch webpage to find out what 9MP means. There site talks about a 9M (being a basic ABS) and a 9M Plus (being the bells and whistles system). So would not a 9MP system be the 9M Plus system?

Ducati's description of the ABS system on the SS seems to be pretty much word for word identical to the 959 Panigale. Does it have lean angle ABS?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The following is a description on the 9MP system on the small Panigale. Clearly its smarter than stock ABS with linked braking which is what KTM market as MSC "Motorcycle Swerve Control".

ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) 9MP
The Bosch 9MP ABS standard on the 959 Panigale is a latest-generation system with two channels that performs combined braking with control of rear wheel lifting to guarantee not only shorter braking distances, but also the greatest stability during braking. Specifically intended for sport use, the 9MP ABS offers three levels of operation, each associated with a Riding Mode; in the Race mode, the system works only on front discs to allow advanced track braking techniques for expert riders.

·
Registered
430 Posts

I've just gone through most of the Ducati range specs, and it seems only the large Panagale and Multistrada have lean angle sensor ABS. Both clearly more expensive bikes.

I checked out a similar priced MV Agusta, exact same ABS system as the SS. Honestly ever bike that I can think of with lean angle sensor ABS standard e.g. R1200RS is considerably more expensive.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Done a bit more digging into this issue. To put the lack of lean angle ABS into perspective, I can't actually find any new bike that has lean angle ABS that isn't at least A$5000 dearer. Bikes that are vaguely comparable that have it are an R1, R1200RS, KTM's Super Duke GT, 1190 Panagale, 1290 Multistrada. All considerably more expensive bikes.

Even the new 950 Multistrada, which makes no sense to me other than price because it weighs identical to the 1290, doesn't have it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
No IMU means no cornering ABS. Cheapest bike with IMU is the new Z1000 (yes cheaper than the SS 939)
The Z1000SX (sold here as the Ninja 1000) doesn't currently have IMU but apparently the 2017 version will. They sell for about the same price here as the base model SS 939.

The ZX-10 currently has IMU but is about $3000 dearer than the S version 939.

If someone would buy a Ninja 1000 over the 939 solely because it had IMU then I don't think they were really that interested in the Duc. I've been considering a Ninja 1000 for about 5 years, and have never been able to bring myself to do it. They go well, but looks wise, blah! There is no shortage of criticism of the suspension on a Ninja 1000 on the forum for the bike, so add around three thousand dollars for a suspension upgrade. Now you have a bike costing just as much if not more, is heavier, and looks blah!

No doubt IMU will eventually make its way onto just about every moderate priced make/model. Suppose it just depends how long you want to weight and how much importance you place on it.

To me its actually pretty pointless comparing Jap v European of any make/model on a price - features basis as you'll always end up going Japanese. Same deal with reliability, service costs, etc.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just felt that it's such a safety feature a premium 'new' motorcycle ought to have it. The R1200Rs didnt have it but will for 2017. Like the BMW and Kawasaki they are updating their bikes with this new technology.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Z1000SX (sold here as the Ninja 1000) doesn't currently have IMU but apparently the 2017 version will. They sell for about the same price here as the base model SS 939.

The ZX-10 currently has IMU but is about $3000 dearer than the S version 939.

If someone would buy a Ninja 1000 over the 939 solely because it had IMU then I don't think they were really that interested in the Duc. I've been considering a Ninja 1000 for about 5 years, and have never been able to bring myself to do it. They go well, but looks wise, blah! There is no shortage of criticism of the suspension on a Ninja 1000 on the forum for the bike, so add around three thousand dollars for a suspension upgrade. Now you have a bike costing just as much if not more, is heavier, and looks blah!

No doubt IMU will eventually make its way onto just about every moderate priced make/model. Suppose it just depends how long you want to weight and how much importance you place on it.

To me its actually pretty pointless comparing Jap v European of any make/model on a price - features basis as you'll always end up going Japanese. Same deal with reliability, service costs, etc.
I agree, I find inline fours boring as well

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think if they added IMU to the S model and increased the price $500 to cover it (surely the unit wouldn't cost any more than that) they'd probably sell a heap more overall as well as getting more people to buy the S over the base model. Even stick in on a 'limited release' model (I'm assuming someone from Ducatti may read this forum).

I'll bet there is more profit margin as you move up to the fancier model, that's how it works for every other car/bike manufacturer.

Maybe its got something to do with the small panni or other models not having it. Got to admit it's the only 'electronic aide' that I see of value to me. Haven't locked the front wheel in a straight line in my life and don't expect to.

·
Registered
524 Posts

What do you think?
An IMU would be a great addition to the S model, but I'm surprised they didn't include cruise control on both models, as it's pretty easy to do once you have a ride-by-wire throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're looking for a similarly priced Ducati with Bosch cornering ABS (IMU), the 2017 Monster 1200 is your bike. I was severely disappointed that the SS didn't come with cornering ABS -- if we're lucky, they'll add a retrofit option next year. This didn't stop me from ordering a white Supersport S!
My dealer has a full refund, no obligation policy on deposits, so I'll make the final decision between the Monster 1200 and SS S after a back-to-back test ride.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I suppose cornering ABS could be released as a retrofit, they did that with the R1200RS, but the price was heavy, but still worth having.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you're looking for a similarly priced Ducati with Bosch cornering ABS (IMU), the 2017 Monster 1200 is your bike. I was severely disappointed that the SS didn't come with cornering ABS -- if we're lucky, they'll add a retrofit option next year. This didn't stop me from ordering a white Supersport S!
My dealer has a full refund, no obligation policy on deposits, so I'll make the final decision between the Monster 1200 and SS S after a back-to-back test ride.
I owned a 2014 Monster 1200 for 1 1/2 years before selling it. I liked the engine, handling and comfort except for the lack of wind protection. I thought I could live with it, but I ride distance at times and didn't like being "blown off" the bike at 80 MPH. Depends on your usage I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have seen the stated MPG for the Supersport to be 35.4 and the S model to be 38.4, why would the S get three miles more per gallon?

·
Registered
88 Posts
35.4 or 38.4 MGP, with a 4.2 gallon tank we are looking at 150-160 miles between fill ups. How far do you think we can stretch that mileage if riding on open roads with no significant stop-n-go?

·
Registered
20 Posts

What do you think?
I don't use heated grips because I use heated glove liners that can be used on multiple bikes. I've never had a bike with a centre stand, so that is not something I would miss. As for navigation, I use my iPhone and have offline
maps so you don't need cell service and it works great. I think the TFT display and cornering ABS should be on the Supersport though since they are on the Monster 1200. Oh well, I will keep the Supersport (if it ever arrives) for a couple of years
then upgrade to the Supersport 1199/1200 whenever Ducati comes out with that, which I would predict they will.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts