Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend where I live, 4 bikers were killed. There's a road the bikers here know for top end runs. I rarely use that road on a weekend because it can be downright dangerous due to the amount of bikes travelling insane speeds. I have my own stretch for high speeds and luckily not many know about.
So when the first two riders reached the end of their top end run they pulled over and began a U Turn to return down the same stretch of road. Sadly two more bikes were coming up the same stretch, resulting in the four bikes colliding, and sadly resulting in deaths. A mistake that could have been prevented is that the first two chose to make their U Turn shortly after a high speed bend.
My message is that you always try give yourself some space, not only for yourself but for others as well.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sad, yes and preventable. ST3 rider I know was hit from behind, in a turn lane, by a driver with “Watch out for Motorcycles” sticker on his car. Driver tried to blame him, while he lay in ditch with broken leg!

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
Thanks @amoslws for the reminder, we’re all motorcyclists to have fun, but Safety First.

Three most important rules of Real Estate: Location, Location, Location...

Three most important rules of motorcycle safety (imho): Space, Space, Space... (But, how easy is it to forget when having fun.)

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
The thought occurs to me now and then, to create a thread on Safety, and appreciate that @amoslws started us off on it.

We’ve got a lot of experienced motorcyclists here, what do you guys think? Should we continue what Amos started here, and share our best recommendations to increase safety?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
We’ve got a lot of experienced motorcyclists here, what do you guys think? Should we continue what Amos started here, and share our best recommendations to increase safety?

Yes!!!! What about a sub-forum for safety?

For me, a few years ago I made a mental change and now when I ride the thought is I want to come home after I’m done and will ride according. Hasn’t affected my fun at all but now when I start out I say that phrase “I’m coming home safely today” in my head, or even out loud to everyone if I’m riding with people and then just base my decisions for the day off that.

I’ve noticed there might have been times I normally would think about jumping out in traffic, making a bold move, someone is upsetting me and I wanted to retaliate, maybe pressing myself harder in a corner or just being aggressive and I just don’t when I think of what I said at the beginning.

Sometimes I think being safe can be that simple.

Doesn’t stop stupid moves from happening by others around me but it makes me watch out more for them and just deal rather than getting upset.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I agree with starting a thread on safety. I try to be observant on what is going on around me when I ride. Recently I barely missed hitting a car in the side as it turned in front of me. A “helpful” driver in left lane of 4 lane road, stopped to allow someone in turn lane go in front of them. Turning vehicle assumed coast was clear, I guess. My leg nearly touched her rear bumper as she passed in front of me. There was no way I could have stopped.

Reactions: Dox and Ed K

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
@Miweber929 Subforum would be cool, but may take a while to set up bc I can’t directly make that change but in the meantime have made it a Sticky Thread.

And yes, I do the same, whenever I’m tempted (often!) in a potentially dangerous situation, I repeat to myself “Safety First.” And it slows me down a bit to think. Might still do it, but think first.

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
I agree with starting a thread on safety. I try to be observant on what is going on around me when I ride. Recently I barely missed hitting a car in the side as it turned in front of me. A “helpful” driver in left lane of 4 lane road, stopped to allow someone in turn lane go in front of them. Turning vehicle assumed coast was clear, I guess. My leg nearly touched her rear bumper as she passed in front of me. There was no way I could have stopped.
Very common issue, that’s so unpredictable! Glad you were able to maneuver out of harm’s way!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The thought occurs to me now and then, to create a thread on Safety, and appreciate that @amoslws started us off on it.

Yes definitely. Can never have enough reminders about safety...losing four riders in one accident is very sobering.

·
Registered
311 Posts
@Miweber929 Subforum would be cool, but may take a while to set up bc I can’t directly make that change but in the meantime have made it a Sticky Thread.

And yes, I do the same, whenever I’m tempted (often!) in a potentially dangerous situation, I repeat to myself “Safety First.” And it slows me down a bit to think. Might still do it, but think first.
A phrase I tell myself is "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast" - as a returning biker it helps me when I feel myself getting out of shape through bends or passing traffic. It makes me back off, and build speed steadily within my limits.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Assume the car you’re approaching, signaling to make a turn across your lane will turn in front of you rather than wait for you to pass. Give a courtesy wave when they don’t even when it’s obvious that they should have waited.
When that happens to me, I always wave, but only with one finger.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Assume the car you’re approaching, signaling to make a turn across your lane will turn in front of you rather than wait for you to pass. Give a courtesy wave when they don’t even when it’s obvious that they should have waited.
^^^^This is GREAT advice.

I always try to “expect” the unexpected; if that car possibly can’t see me going around the truck turning left in front of me I assume they won’t and slow down in anticipation. If that car pulled off to the side of the road may suddenly turn in front of me I assume they will and cover the brakes and clutch in preparation of that action, if I’m riding in someone’s blind spot I move away in anticipation they will switch lanes, etc. because they can’t see me. When something isn’t a surprise, it’s MUCH easier to deal with.

Another piece of advice I was told was watch the front wheels of cars around you, they will be the first thing to turn if someone is making a lane change or movement.

And if someone does something nice for me, I acknowledge the action with a wave or head nod, goes a long way in cycle/car relations.

·
Registered
477 Posts
^^^^This is GREAT advice.

I always try to “expect” the unexpected; if that car possibly can’t see me going around the truck turning left in front of me I assume they won’t and slow down in anticipation. If that car pulled off to the side of the road may suddenly turn in front of me I assume they will and cover the brakes and clutch in preparation of that action, if I’m riding in someone’s blind spot I move away in anticipation they will switch lanes, etc. because they can’t see me. When something isn’t a surprise, it’s MUCH easier to deal with.

Another piece of advice I was told was watch the front wheels of cars around you, they will be the first thing to turn if someone is making a lane change or movement.

And if someone does something nice for me, I acknowledge the action with a wave or head nod, goes a long way in cycle/car relations.
Agree. Might be that I’m getting older but I no longer enjoy blasting away on public roads as much as I did when I was younger. Too mindful that something unexpected will be exactly in my track on the other side of that blind curve. Like, I try to keep speeds low enough that even if there’s a couple of kids on bicycles on my side while a car is coming the other direction, or a tractor having dragged mud or gravel up on the pavement, I can still safely slow down.

Ride with a couple of younger blokes and the way they go just make feel a bit uneasy. Then I remember that I used to be like that myself, only I survived. Had a couple of riding buddies pass away (over a decade ago now) when a car pulled out from a side road while they were going 150 km/h+. No chance of stopping. Both passed away instantly. Didn’t make me change my ways so much back then, strangely enough, but I think about every now and then these days to remind me to ride safe.

That said, I still enjoy going way above legal when I have smooth roads, unhindered views and no traffic close by. I just try to chose the where and when a bit more careful now.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
We've had a similar issue in South Oz, lost 10 so far this year compared to 2 last year.

Some of us are trying to set up a mentoring program for newer riders through a local facebook group. We've had a couple of runs that seem to be a success. One who had just passed his licence even went as far as getting a suspension setup after watching well setup bikes when he was riding a bucking bronco.

I've started a blog about safety basics, motorcyclementors.info.

Last night I ran a training session with the local fire brigade, in conjunction with an ambo, about handling crashed bikes, first aid (the ambo ran this part) and removing helmets.

We do what we can...

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
We've had a similar issue in South Oz, lost 10 so far this year compared to 2 last year.

Some of us are trying to set up a mentoring program for newer riders through a local facebook group. We've had a couple of runs that seem to be a success. One who had just passed his licence even went as far as getting a suspension setup after watching well setup bikes when he was riding a bucking bronco.

I've started a blog about safety basics, motorcyclementors.info.

Last night I ran a training session with the local fire brigade, in conjunction with an ambo, about handling crashed bikes, first aid (the ambo ran this part) and removing helmets.

We do what we can...
This is really cool, Steve. The US has Motorcycle Safety classes, like most places, but I haven’t heard of any mentoring programs in the the US. What a great idea!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts