Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Beware. Both wire tails at the satnav side are black but if you check them against the mating connector on the loom you will see that one wire is red/black (+ve) and the other is plain black (-ve).
Good advice thank you.
Yes. @Derek is the master of all things electric...and a d4mn good addition to our community!

Thanks for your contributions.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
BEWARE!! BEWARE By using this plug you may be blamed for Damaging your bike By Ducati if something goes wrong with your bike !!! !!Hi All this thread has been about using the white plug on the R/H side of the tank as a switched feed (power supply) for whatever you need it for Sat Nav, Phone etc. Can those clever ones out there confirm that this is only a feed and does not act as a way to interact with the electronics on your bike.
As you know my bike has been in the dealers workshop for 10 weeks. it is now having the Wiring Loom replaced in a bid to fix the problems, The bike was fine other than a DQS Fault before it went to the Dealer. all faults started appearing while in the care of the Dealer. I have just received an email from the service manager telling me the Loom has arrived and they are proceeding with replacing it. He has Said that he has been asked by Ducati (who in turn have been asked by Ducati in Italy) if i can supply them the details of the non OEM components that were fitted to the bike, as in the product details of the accessories and fitting instructions that were supplied with it. Also if you can tell us who fitted it for you.
IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO TRY AND BLAME ME FOR THIS.
@Derek @Ed @se7en @amoslws I think you guys have all used this plug, any opinions

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
We have 2 SSS and wanted to power a GPS as well as a tankbag, so I installed a PDM60 on both bikes. The PDM60 connects directly to the battery and provides 6 power output circuits with programmable amperage for each output circuit up to a total of 60 amps.

The PMD60 uses a switched power source to turn itself on and it is for this purposes I used the switched power source on the right side that many have discussed in this thread. The PDM60 has a programmable delay on its power up to allow for the start up of with bike with no extra demand on the battery.

I used this same system on my previous Multistrada for several years with out issue.

The PDM60 is solid state with circuit breakers rather than fuses and is specifically designed for motorcycles, snowmobiles and other similar machines, so it is vibration and water "proof." It is also specifically designed to be "invisible" to the CAN bus system on the SSS and many other current bikes. Read more about it here: http://pdm60.com/

I highly recommend if you need to power more than one device. We have iphone charger and V1 radar detector in the tank bags and GPS on the bar end ram mount. Works great.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,726 Posts
Isn't that the plug that is designed for the Ducati MMS and the OEM Alarm, if so there has to be a two way interaction. Or are those accessories pluged in elsewhere.
No it's not. It is a 2-pin connector with ground and ignition switched +12V. The worst you can do with it is blow the fuse.
The alarm plug is a 8-pin connector under the tank at the rear LH which has ground, permanent 12V, switched 12V and 2 wires to the dash. One to light an LED and one to tell it the dash is active or not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We have 2 SSS and wanted to power a GPS as well as a tankbag, so I installed a PDM60 on both bikes. The PDM60 connects directly to the battery and provides 6 power output circuits with programmable amperage for each output circuit up to a total of 60 amps.

The PMD60 uses a switched power source to turn itself on and it is for this purposes I used the switched power source on the right side that many have discussed in this thread. The PDM60 has a programmable delay on its power up to allow for the start up of with bike with no extra demand on the battery.

I used this same system on my previous Multistrada for several years with out issue.

The PDM60 is solid state with circuit breakers rather than fuses and is specifically designed for motorcycles, snowmobiles and other similar machines, so it is vibration and water "proof." It is also specifically designed to be "invisible" to the CAN bus system on the SSS and many other current bikes. Read more about it here: http://pdm60.com/

I highly recommend if you need to power more than one device. We have iphone charger and V1 radar detector in the tank bags and GPS on the bar end ram mount. Works great.

thanks Brother. Good info. Interesting. I am adding a radar detector myself. Putting a blue tooth one under the front nose where it will be hidden. Looking to connect it, though I am not looking to attach phone nav, heated grips, etc so i think i will be OK with a single connector but have noted this in case I change my mind. Good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
BEWARE!! BEWARE By using this plug you may be blamed for Damaging your bike By Ducati if something goes wrong with your bike !!! !!Hi All this thread has been about using the white plug on the R/H side of the tank as a switched feed (power supply) for whatever you need it for Sat Nav, Phone etc. Can those clever ones out there confirm that this is only a feed and does not act as a way to interact with the electronics on your bike.
As you know my bike has been in the dealers workshop for 10 weeks. it is now having the Wiring Loom replaced in a bid to fix the problems, The bike was fine other than a DQS Fault before it went to the Dealer. all faults started appearing while in the care of the Dealer. I have just received an email from the service manager telling me the Loom has arrived and they are proceeding with replacing it. He has Said that he has been asked by Ducati (who in turn have been asked by Ducati in Italy) if i can supply them the details of the non OEM components that were fitted to the bike, as in the product details of the accessories and fitting instructions that were supplied with it. Also if you can tell us who fitted it for you.
IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO TRY AND BLAME ME FOR THIS.

@Derek @Ed @se7en @amoslws I think you guys have all used this plug, any opinions
Sadly I think you're correct. Same same but different when they blamed me for my frobt fairing. They declined my claim but what really pished me off was that they denied everything I had complained about since day one when I got the bike. They pick and choose the low hanging fruit.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
My understanding of Australian Consumer Law is you do not have to use OEM to maintain warranty, you can use any quality parts. It does, however, become a grey area.

I seem to recall Ducati will need to prove the after market accessories caused the fault, they can't just say they aren't going to honour a contract just because they claim something is faulty.

It goes without saying, but make sure you record all conversations (not actual recordings, but you know what I mean) and keep all communications, receipts, reviews etc. Check the Ducati website to see if the product is listed under their partnership program, even as far as using a wayback machine to look at older versions of the website.

Reactions: Rhino and Blakduk

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Here's a picture of the mounted PDM60. To the left is the air compressor for the Denali Soundbomb.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
So far I’ve only used my self-powered iPhone in a RAM mount for navigation...not connected it to SS power sources.

For those who are not using a PDM, how are others connecting their (non-phone based) GPS (e.g. Garmin, TomTom, etc) units?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,726 Posts
The connector on the RH side of the steering head is described on the wiring diagram as a "Supplementary socket". What could that be for other than fitting an extra such as a satnav?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The connector on the RH side of the steering head is described on the wiring diagram as a "Supplementary socket". What could that be for other than fitting an extra such as a satnav?
Thanks @Derek My wiring loom has been changed and it seems that there is a fault somewhere on it. I asked them to put to me in writing their findings when investigating whether the use of this plug and my motodinamic tail light was not the cause (or was if that is the case). They have up until now refused to discount that it may be the cause of the problems. I have always believed that it as you said a "Supplementary socket". They wanted to drop the bike back to me in a van with out a tail light fitted. Saying Ducati have told them they must not refit it !!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
My understanding of Australian Consumer Law is you do not have to use OEM to maintain warranty, you can use any quality parts. It does, however, become a grey area.

I seem to recall Ducati will need to prove the after market accessories caused the fault, they can't just say they aren't going to honour a contract just because they claim something is faulty.

It goes without saying, but make sure you record all conversations (not actual recordings, but you know what I mean) and keep all communications, receipts, reviews etc. Check the Ducati website to see if the product is listed under their partnership program, even as far as using a wayback machine to look at older versions of the website.
Thanks mate Is the Motodinamic tail light on the list ? we are getting a raw deal with having to deal with these importers who act as ducti :frown2:

·
Banned
505 Posts
My Dealer would not have fitted the all the aftermarket parts I asked for [including tail tidy] if it had any affect the warranty...

Rhino time to go to the Ausi' media, I am sure they would cover this story on TV..in the UK the Media love this kind of drama & it is a Huge Help

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
101 Posts
@Cj2, @Derek, @oldndumb, @klev, @Rog36, @Mario and the rest…You people ARE BRILLIANT!
Thank you so much for this thread and the really helpful contributions you all made to it. I would have been lost without it!
I started to do what I thought would be the easiest route by hooking up the power leads to the charging harness, even though it was always on (Pic 1).

However, I don’t think that worked for me. But, I do know that this switched plug at the head works a treat (Pic2)!!!

My Garmin Zumo would switch to charging/powered mode when connected the first way. But as the photos below show, hooked up to the white connector it does exactly what it should.Bike turned on, shows as Charging (top right of screen) (Pic 3). Bike turned off, I get tis message (Pic 4), and then the icon switches to battery mode (Pic 5).

I have included other pictures of working through the details of your above instructions. I found reading the numbers on the plug was almost impossible, but used the graphite of a pencil to make them stand out.

I hope others find this helpful. Once again, thanks to all the contributors of this SuperGroup!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts