Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some pictures bellow.

Unfortunately, not much to learn from the representatives, no official Ducati but only the local dealership owner...

And the big disapointment for me, it was the standard version and not the "S" one.

Well, you could ask me questions, but i don't feel i learned anything from this.

the little surprise was the diplay of the superleggera.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't you hate when that happens? At least you got some seat time and some nice photos.. would have been great to pick the mind of a Ducati representative though.

Nonetheless, how tall are you and how's the footing if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am 182cm (6 feets), and the seat being 82cm high, like my monster, it's very low, my legs are bent while i put both feets flat on the ground.

first times i ride my monster i used to hit the ground while thanking a car (we spread a leg to thank or salute in France), but i am used to it by now.

Position is almost more upright on this SS than on my monster, pretty confy.

Now i just have to wait to test ride the "S" one, maybe i'll test the 959 too, just to compare and be sure of my choice :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Position is almost more upright on this SS than on my monster, pretty confy.
Mind if I ask what year/model monster you have? Then I can key it into motorcycle-ergonomics, see what the forward lean angle is, and then get some idea what the SS may be being less. Otheres have said the SS is very similar to their BMW RS and that's 16 degrees for me at 6'3" and that angle is pretty much a standard (give or take a small amount) for most SPORT-tourers e.g. Ninja 1000.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I would have thought standard seat might be a bit low for a giant of 6' 3"
But yet many tall people find the R1200RS very comfortable.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2010 monster 796

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a 2010 monster 796
Thanks. You're observation that the SS is more upright than your Monster stacks up with others observations. Motorcycle ergo has me at a 20 degree forward lean angle on your bike, and others have said the SS feels about the same as their bike with a 16 degree lean angle (pretty typical for this class).

·
Registered
233 Posts
At last week's Motorcycle show (Vancouver BC) I got the chance to sit on the S model and go back and forth between it and the 959. I'm dying to test ride one! It looks better in person. I agree about the lower seat, the OEM seat felt "sculpted" in that it seems to scoop down such that I thought it may have been a lowered seat. But it was the OEM seat. I'm short, 5'4" and I can get balls of foot to ground. Perhaps due to the lower seat, the tank definitely felt higher than on the 959. I'm not so hip about tank capacity as it is slightly lower than the 959, as I would like to see more capacity for longer trips. Waiting to see what the touring and sport packages will look like. My buddy is 6'3" and he felt cramped at knees so that may be something to consider. In a perfect world I'd like a stable (who wouldn't?) of bikes for different riding purpose but I'm looking seriously at this bike as a multipurpose bike: a daily commuter/ occasional track day/ 1-3 day tourer. If you ski, you'd know, akin to an all mountain ski. ha ha. Side note: the Desert sled is intriguing too, I may need an off-roader too.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I finally had the chance to actually see and sit on an SS at this weekend's IMS Cleveland show. It confirmed what I had already knew - this will be my next bike. My observations:

- The seating position is, indeed, reasonable and comfortable for my 5'7" frame. It reminded me of Honda's Interceptor, Ducati's ST and the BMW R1200RS. I wasn't flat-footed with my 29" inseam, but close enough.
- The seat itself is pretty pocketed. Some of my group thought it might be restrictive of fore/aft movement while riding.
- The bike doesn't feel heavy when you lift it off the sidestand. Others, like the pretty Triumph Thruxton R, felt much heavier.
- The LCD gauge cluster looks like it will be easy to read because of its location far forward and the contrast between the black font and the almost-white background. This is better than other examples of this technology I've seen.
- I was pleased to notice the sidestand has a rather large rectangular foot so it won't sink into hot asphalt in the summer heat
- I'd like to see Ducati use the XDiavel LH engine cases on all their watercooled bikes to eliminate the exposed water hoses. Even though the SS has a fairing, it doesn't extend far enough rearward to cover the hoses.
- The stock exhaust looks pretty good, exposes the rear wheel nicely to view and will keep exhaust heat away from the rider and/or passenger. For my money, I'm not sure I'll replace the mufflers with accessory items.
- That LED light bar in the front will be great for getting the bike noticed by oncoming cars - very bright.
- Some have wondered how Ducati attached the fairing side extension to the fuel tank (where they come together). We found a tab about 4" forward where the attachment is made, covered by a black plastic filler panel. The shape of the extensions themselves makes the part rigid enough to preclude the need for further attachments rearward.
- I'd sure like to see electronic cruise control added to this bike's features.
- I like that the passenger pegs cast mountings are painted black, as they aren't very noticeable.
- The clutch effort is a little higher than most hydraulic systems I've tried, but it's acceptable.
- The mirrors appear to be wide enough for a reasonable view rearward and I like the inclusion of turn signals.

No, not perfect (I've never seen any machine that was), but good enough for me. My next bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That was quite a thorough review, thanks! The comparisons you made will make it much easier for people to try and piece together for themselves if this is a good option, albeit they'll still have to check it out for themselves, but this gives them something to think about

·
Registered
524 Posts
That was quite a thorough review, thanks! The comparisons you made will make it much easier for people to try and piece together for themselves if this is a good option, albeit they'll still have to check it out for themselves, but this gives them something to think about
I owned a 900SS (1999) for fifteen years from new after modifying the heck out of it (+ 18 HP, - 50 lbs), so I really do like the SS concept. I've been waiting for this new one for a long time and didn't think it would ever happen. I think Ducati has done a nice job bringing this bike into the new millenium.

I was also a GM Product Manager on Pontiac products (Grand Prix/GTO/G8), so I really like getting into the details, as you can tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would have thought standard seat might be a bit low for a giant of 6' 3"
But yet many tall people find the R1200RS very comfortable.
What I've discovered over the years, having owned a number of bikes that people think are only suitable for 'small people' (I just happen to like lightweight low center of gravity compact bikes for handling reasons), is that as long as the seat is comfortable then hip and knee angles aren't that important. By a 'comfortable' seat I mean more than just not hard, but holds you how you want, isn't trying to force you into the tank etc, etc.

Not excessive weight on my wrists from an overly aggressive riding position, and a comfortable seat, and even if my knees are crunched up a bit I can still ride extended touring days all day without a problem. My current retro UJM was probably designed with a small Japanese woman in mind as the target buyer :wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts