Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a '17 Supersport S with stock exhaust. It will be 2 weeks until it is delivered, so I thought I would order a slip-on now so it would arrive around the same time as the bike. Based on cost, design, and reviews I've narrowed it down to the SC Project CR-T and the QD Twin Monkey.
Honestly, for me it's more about the aesthetics and sound quality than the modest power gain.
So I'm wondering if anyone has heard both? I'm not looking to make the engine a lot louder, perhaps just slightly louder than stock, but would like to know what the sound characteristics are of the two (deeper tone, throaty, raspy, etc). Any shared experience would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshot_20201112-195941.png
Screenshot_20201112-195655.png

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I like the look of the stock bike, the sound isn't bad either but not as loud as aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
@4corsa Slip-ons for the SS will do little if anything to the sound or power, and will basically only change the look.

Lot of posts on exhaust in the Exhaust section of the Forum you might check out if you haven’t already.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I bought the QD Twin Monkey but didn't fit it to the bike as the carbon fibre on the exhaust heat shield doesn't match the carbon fibre on the end of the exhausts itself. How can you have two different weaves of carbon fibre on the same exhaust - it didn't look right at all, but that's me.
I returned it and got the SC Projects exhaust instead which I've had fittted for over two years now. There is no power gain from the exhaust, nor does it have a better exhaust note - it's just a matter of aesthetics. The standard exhaust in my opinion, actually sounds slightly better than the SC Projects.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Triplesapper, that's very helpful info.
In that case, perhaps I should consider keeping it stock and just adding these Ilmberger carbon covers:
Screenshot_20201113-123122.png

·
Registered
524 Posts
As an end can wont increase power or make the bike sound better, its about the looks. The Ilmberger carbon sleeves will certainly add some pazzaz to the bike (y)

Beware though, once youve started with carbon fibre it becomes addictive :devilish: and whilst Ilmberger is excellent quality, it isnt cheap 🥴 Carbon fibre has to match or it looks naff.

Reactions: spartan1984

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...you don't even want to know how much I spent on carbon parts for my S4R! I'm well aware of the addiction! 😁 IMG_20190525_105314.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Thanks Ed K. I thought this is the exhaust forum - no?
Yes, just wasn’t sure if you had a chance to browse around in the Exhaust section, where there’s lots of posts on these subjects.

Also the “Search” function is very powerful, especially the “advanced search” in the desktop web version of the Forum, to find posts on particular exhaust configurations/suppliers.

But it seems like you are well on your way to deciding. We’re looking forward to seeing pics after installation! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
4Corsa - After discussions on this board and with other owners, I went with the Ilmberger sleeves. Using black retaining hardware makes them look even better. Searching for internet deals saved me about $80 US for the pair, but there was a wait for shipping. Good luck let us see what you end up with!

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just noticing from photos, the SC Project slip-on appears to be a good 2" longer than the stock slip-on. Would any one know if you can remove the rear wheel without removing the SC Project slip-on? Thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was just noticing from photos, the SC Project slip-on appears to be a good 2" longer than the stock slip-on. Would any one know if you can remove the rear wheel without removing the SC Project slip-on? Thanks.
I have the SC Projects on my bike and it has to come off to remove the rear wheel. It is actually more of a faff to do than the standard exhaust as the SC Projects slip on is two pipes joined together.

To take it off you have to remove the 3 screws holding the carbon fibre heat shield on, remove the two clamps holding each of the end cans on to the exhaust and using a soft faced mallet, tap the slip on off. Only once have I been able to remove it by hand and thats even having put copper grease on it the previous time.

Refitting is the reverse, but a bit more fiddly as you have to ensure the slips ons are in exacty the right place on the exhaust in order to align the holes to refit the heat shield. I scratch a mark on the exhaust where the slip on sits before removing it, so as I can refit it in exactly the same place. It gets easier each time you do it as you know what to do and where to line it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts