Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I did this today.

Something that's been bugging me especially in the summertime is the heat in the seat from the rear cylinder
& exhaust.
No wonder our seats get hot. The area below the seat is wide open.
So, at first I took to using some thermal tape under the seat. That did seem to help a bit.
Got an idea about seeing if some insulation between the seat would help even more.
Basically bought a small roll that looked it might work off Amazon. It was a bit thinner than I thought it would be.
Nothing fancy, I just cut out a section. Made a little alteration here & there.
I just came back from an hour ride in a mix of traffic & freeway. Wore my riding jeans instead of my leathers so
I could really feel the heat.
Pleasantly surprised to say the sheet of insulation worked really well. So far, so good. My butt was much cooler.

Just wanted to pass along the idea to my fellow SS riders. I imagine a thicker type. Or better quality might work even better.
Automotive tire Wood Tire Bumper Gas

Art Automotive tire Motor vehicle Artifact Wood

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I’ve made thermal blankets, for under seat for my 937 and now 950. I believe it helps seat temp, but does nothing for heat emitting from side of bike and therefore hitting my legs. I do have full Akro exhaust, so not sure I can do more.

Reactions: nismo

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
A few other forum members have done the same here

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do you have a link to the product @nismo ? I used a sheet of adhesive heat shield cut out and placed like yours (ie not stuck unto the seat) but it has deteriorated a bit and needs replacing. Haven't found anything here in Oz like you found.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
I like the idea of the insulation under the seat, but I am not so sure of the insulation over the top of the electronics. I’d be concerned about the effect of the trapped heat. With the insulation attached to the seat there is still an air gap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a link to the product @nismo ? I used a sheet of adhesive heat shield cut out and placed like yours (ie not stuck unto the seat) but it has deteriorated a bit and needs replacing. Haven't found anything here in Oz like you found.
Here's the Amazon link.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of the insulation under the seat, but I am not so sure of the insulation over the top of the electronics. I’d be concerned about the effect of the trapped heat. With the insulation attached to the seat there is still an air gap.
I rode around for at least an hour in late afternoon traffic. Lot's of stop & go traffic around town. Some freeway too. So far, no issues.
This Sunday I'll get out for a full day of riding.
The insulation is not being held down with double side tape or anything. The seat is holding it in place. And there is still an air gap.
The insulation is just 3mm thick.

I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few other forum members have done the same here

I used the same tape/product the other guy did. Mine was just the silver/aluminum version.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took a look & the electronics under the seat is a small module that Ducati calls the " Blackbox". Found the OEM part # for it & it turns out to be the traction control unit. Sits in a rubber isolated holder. I like the idea of putting the insulation under the seat. Might have to try that.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
For my “blanket” I left a cut-out over the ECU. I’ll bet, with the thinner reflective material, there’d be no issue refitting seat. Mine is ver thick (12-13 mm) and seat goes back on fine.
on my 937, I created a thermal blanket composed of a reflective layer sewn to a thermal blanket layer. On the 950, so far, I’ve only got the blanket layer on.
Below is template I made for blanket.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For my “blanket” I left a cut-out over the ECU. I’ll bet, with the thinner reflective material, there’d be no issue refitting seat. Mine is ver thick (12-13 mm) and seat goes back on fine.
on my 937, I created a thermal blanket composed of a reflective layer sewn to a thermal blanket layer. On the 950, so far, I’ve only got the blanket layer on.
Below is template I made for blanket.
I was curious what the small electronic box was under the seat. Ducati refer to it as a " Blackbox ". I looked through an OEM
parts catalogue for our bike. It's the traction control unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts