Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have Shoei GT-2 helmet with the integrated Sena SRL2 communication unit. I have used the SRL2 primarily for listening to music and once for intercom communications on a group ride.

My wife likes to ride with me and has an Arai helmet. We've decided that we would like to get another communication unit (leaning towards Sena) so that we can talk during rides and potentially share music. I'm having trouble deciding what to get as I've not used these things enough to know what works best with what. I assume getting another Sena is probably the best option, but honestly don't know. I'm not even sure if different Sena models work well with one another or if there is some limitation across model lines.

I'm leaning towards to 20 EVO-S because I believe it's essentially a SRL2. However, I see that 50R has a slim model (R), get pretty good reviews, and is supposed to have better speakers than the 20 EVO-S.

I think our priorities are ;

Rider and passenger communications
Listening to music
Simple setup
Quality for the price
Don't need features I won't use (Mesh network, for example as the SRL-2 isn't compatible; I think...)

Any suggestions? Thank you for any shared information!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, when in doubt and go to the source. I chatted with Sena support today and asked them the same question. Essentially I was told all Sena products are compatible with each other (communications-wise) and that either 20 EVO-S or the 50R would be "excellent choices".

So, I took the advice of the digital shaman and went ahead and ordered a 50 R. If anyone is curious, I'll update this thread when the new unit arrives, is installed, and tested.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Well, when in doubt and go to the source. I chatted with Sena support today and asked them the same question. Essentially I was told all Sena products are compatible with each other (communications-wise) and that either 20 EVO-S or the 50R would be "excellent choices".

So, I took the advice of the digital shaman and went ahead and ordered a 50 R. If anyone is curious, I'll update this thread when the new unit arrives, is installed, and tested.
My wife and I both have the 50S (rotary dial instead of the + - buttons) and are very happy. Works to about 1 km apart, but we get an audio tone when communication drops out, and a tone when they reconnect. Communication is clear enough I can hear her bike spinning up through the revs, and she has a standard system (mufflers as big as shipping containers).

The speakers seem to be very good, although I don't often listen to music.

The only down is I cannot get voice operation to work on the Sena, but can get Google assistant (or whatever its called) to work, provided I open google on the phone after pairing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am on my 4th upgrade with the 50s. I will say that I love the mesh capability. No need to reconnect. When I had the 20 I would connect it to a mesh thing so that it would have mesh like the 50s but finally sold that on ebay and bought a 50. I ride with 2-3 fellas and it is soooo nice not to have to reconnect if bumped off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

For what it's worth the Sena 50R came in. Reviewed a video on installation in a half-arse way and then just went for it. Installed this into an older Aria helmet that was not set up for speaker holes or cutouts. Went pretty well.

Sena 50 unit connected to my SRL-2 unit via Bluetooth pretty easily and sounds great. My wife and I did the obligatory walk around the house with our helmets on repeating "Can you hear me now?". Seems to be working great and the speakers on the Sena 50 clearly sound better than the ones on the SRL-2. I'm jealous.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts