Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I need some help with the shifter lever adjustment on my Supersport S. In the manual the description of the assembly is different than what is on the bike, I have tried adjusting at the front CAM but the fairing gets in the way, and the actual shaft does not seem to have any adjustment in it. I need to lower the lever about a 1/2 inch so that I need less input to actually shift the gears. once. 5th and 6th are the worst, I almost physically need to lift my foot off the peg to get it to engage.

But other than that, what a great bike, it has exceeded my expectations on all fronts. This is a small tweek that I have had to do on all my bikes, probably the shape of my foot.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a little ways away and I usually can do this sort of stuff myself, thought somebody else may have needed to adjust theirs. Looks like I may have to go to the dealer on my next day off.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
NEW GUYS, Check thread DQS failure. Keep it all in a single thread if possible. It serves for better knowledge management downstream. It relates to the gear selector.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think this thread is actually more on topic. What better place to ask the question "How do I adjust my shifter?" than in a thread titled "How do I adjust my shifter?" Please don't merge it into a thread that should actually be pointing here.

To make the adjustment - disconnect the linkage at the shift lever - I believe it's a 6mm allen and a 10mm nut on the back. Once it's disconnected it will adjust per the owners manual by rotating the rear section. "Unscrewing" it will make the linkage longer, "Tightening" it will make the linkage shorter. As you lengthen the linkage you lower the shift lever.

The nut is a "nylock" nut that does not require a torque specification to keep it from backing off. Tighten it until it's snug, then 1/8th turn tighter.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I think this thread is actually more on topic. What better place to ask the question "How do I adjust my shifter?" than in a thread titled "How do I adjust my shifter?" Please don't merge it into a thread that should actually be pointing here.

To make the adjustment - disconnect the linkage at the shift lever - I believe it's a 6mm allen and a 10mm nut on the back. Once it's disconnected it will adjust per the owners manual by rotating the rear section. "Unscrewing" it will make the linkage longer, "Tightening" it will make the linkage shorter. As you lengthen the linkage you lower the shift lever.

The nut is a "nylock" nut that does not require a torque specification to keep it from backing off. Tighten it until it's snug, then 1/8th turn tighter.

@psyopper So we should be repeating ourselves everytime a new member has a question. The collaboration has already been done and the solutions are already provided in there.
Merging the two will be the right way forward, unless like alzheimers every repeat is a new adventure. There's no need for repeating what has already been thrashed out. New members should be delving into the topics already discussed and elaborate in those threads and not create new threads. What benefit is there in multiple threads covering one topic. As expected some topics develop their own evolution and result in not matching the topic header, but that is the beauty in collaboration.
@Hugg727 Perhaps the DQS failure can be renamed to 'Gear selector adjustment' since there are already many pages under that thread.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thx for that, Psypopper. I asked about the adjustment at the dealer, speaking with the sales manager. He, clearly not a mechanic, suggested that it simply was not adjustable. I am 67 years old and have built and maintained rigs from Harleys to TZ250 GP machines. Looking at the shift linkage, it appeared to be a slip fit with a clamp. Hence, my frustration. But, as it is, simpler and easier to adjust than the traditional double nut configuration.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Or if you are imaptient and you already know that the instructions in the manual for the S model are incorrect, go here:

2017 Monster 1200 S shift lever adjustment w/DQS - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
👆 I thought I had lowered my lever a few weeks ago, but turns out I did no such thing. If you ride with racing boots and are small of foot (I wear a 43), one full turn out on the adjuster rod puts the mechanism at the max adjustment shown in the manual.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
43 isn't small of foot ;)

Reactions: Ducatistraddler
1 - 14 of 14 Posts