Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went to get on the bike for a short little ride last night. Standing alongside the bike, I switched the ignition on, squeezed the clutch to shift in to neutral to let it warm up for a moment, and much to my surprise, the foot peg for the shifter totally popped off. It would appear there should be some sort of retaining bolt on the backside, as the peg is threaded on the inside, but looks like this left the factory without the bolt. (My dealer confirmed they do not do anything around this area this at delivery - it comes from the factory fully ready). There was no sheared-off part or anything left inside, so just appears to have been missing; I'm grateful this did not happen while I was on the road 50 miles away from home last weekend.

So - check your shifters folks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Oh crap! What are you doing in the meantime? Parts department happen to have a spare screw for you or are you going to have to wait for it to arrive?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
So went to get on the bike for a short little ride last night. Standing alongside the bike, I switched the ignition on, squeezed the clutch to shift in to neutral to let it warm up for a moment, and much to my surprise, the foot peg for the shifter totally popped off. It would appear there should be some sort of retaining bolt on the backside, as the peg is threaded on the inside, but looks like this left the factory without the bolt. (My dealer confirmed they do not do anything around this area this at delivery - it comes from the factory fully ready). There was no sheared-off part or anything left inside, so just appears to have been missing; I'm grateful this did not happen while I was on the road 50 miles away from home last weekend.

So - check your shifters folks!
Might wanna check if it had the yellow paint marker on the inside. If thats missing then the factory missed it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might wanna check if it had the yellow paint marker on the inside. If thats missing then the factory missed it.
Good point - I'll look closer when I get to it after work later today.

Fortunately, the peg is a snug fit and I feel pretty comfortable riding it the three or so miles to get to my dealer this evening. I've called and texted them photos, so they are expecting me this evening. If they don't have the part on hand, they can just lift one off one of the 2 SuperSports sitting on the showroom floor. I'm not missing out on riding over the holiday weekend :wink2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the way you think, get it asap! But darn that sucks, thanks for bringing this up to the attention of the boards as everyone should now be checking this. Hopefully yours was just an anomaly and nothing more than that.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Good point - I'll look closer when I get to it after work later today.

Fortunately, the peg is a snug fit and I feel pretty comfortable riding it the three or so miles to get to my dealer this evening. I've called and texted them photos, so they are expecting me this evening. If they don't have the part on hand, they can just lift one off one of the 2 SuperSports sitting on the showroom floor. I'm not missing out on riding over the holiday weekend :wink2:
Unfortunately the parts dwg doesnt explode the gear lever, but shows it as one unit. So no way to tell what screw to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shifter is shiftless

Gents,
I'm pretty sure the peg is a press fitted shaft. That is why it's a 1 piece part. The rubber is a separate item. Typical run of the mill Ducati part. There is no screw from behind.
This might be a recalled item soon I'd say....
Cheers,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Thanks guys, will be interesting to note if this is a one-off, or common.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
i tried to check it too, looks like a press fit to me as well. Was had to get a glimpse.
@skr9 do you have pics of piece that popped of? Just to see if it has threads or not?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

My slight bad - I was mistaken that there was some sort of bolt on the backside. Others here are correct, and my service tech at the dealer confirmed last night - this is simply a press fitting - the shaft of the foot peg simply fits snugly in to the hole at the end of the arm for the shifter. It would seem mine did not fit as tightly as it should - the service tech was quite surprised to see I was able to pull it out with relative ease by hand. They roughed the shaft of my foot peg and used some Loc-tite and used some high strength wire as a makeshift solution to keep it held in place temporarily - and photographed it and notified Ducati, and ordered me a new part which will be installed at my 600 mile service.

I would recommend that everyone just give their foot peg a tug and see if you are able to move (or even remove) it by hand. Might be a poor design issue - or could just be a one-off unfortunate mishap for me.

Happy riding and hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
this is simply a press fitting - the shaft of the foot peg simply fits snugly in to the hole at the end of the arm for the shifter
Bummer, I wouldve expected it to have a screw fit or the whole thing being single piece. Press fit huh...checked mine and it doesnt budge now, but after 10000 shifts or more, who knows???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts