Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Yesterday I got off the bike and the side stand failed to keep it up. The bike started to “fold” but I managed to get it before it hit the ground. Did some minor damage on the gear shifter. Worst thing is you cannot let the bike go if you’re in “a wrong place”. Anyways, check your side stand bolts now and then!!

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s any consolation but there have been about 6 or so riders who have experienced the same problem with a side stand bolt (or both) backing out.

I’m surprised they didn’t apply LocTite at the factory.

Glad you caught the bike before it did any more damage.

·
Registered
829 Posts
This is truly the Achilles Heel of these motors. Ducati has been using this block design for 30+ years and this is the only thing they never figured out how to resolve.

Anything bolted into the lower block holes has a tendency to vibrate out and it is prudent to install with Locktite, torque correctly, and verify torque annually or more often.

The risk is especially high with the side stand bolts getting loose and ultimately cracking the case with incorrect weighting of the bike on the stand.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
This is truly the Achilles Heel of these motors. Ducati has been using this block design for 30+ years and this is the only thing they never figured out how to resolve.

Anything bolted into the lower block holes has a tendency to vibrate out and it is prudent to install with Locktite, torque correctly, and verify torque annually or more often.

The risk is especially high with the side stand bolts getting loose and ultimately cracking the case with incorrect weighting of the bike on the stand.
Can also dangle on the spring. Going around a bend it could hook the ground and cause a high side.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That was an eye opener. I just checked mine. Now this was just a quick check while on the side stand:

It's a 13mm bolt and accessible on the back side, enough clearance for a wrench. I was able to squeeze about an 1/8 of a turn out it, so it wasn't fully tight. This bold wasn't flush to the mount, I'd guess about 1/4 in gap with plenty of clearance for the spring to pivot.

And if the bike ever fell, if it's under warranty and I paid for the $400 annual service, I'd call foul.

I'll give it another look-see when I get it on the rear stand.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Folks there are two Allen cap bolts, I can't remember if they are a 10 or 8mm Allen key fit. You should definitely torque them up to 24nm. The plate is also to be torqued up to 36nm. It's been around 5 months since I finished the 1200 conversion but I think they are correct. It is not only the pretty silver bolt on the front that ought to be checked and tightened.

Edit: I have checked and screenshot the manual for you....
Grease B is a lithium based grease.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I saw the allen head on the outside and it looked pretty flimsy, the 13mm nut is on the inside.

Did I do it wrong?

OK Amos, you're showing the attachment bracket allen bolts, not the kickstand pivot? I'll check them as well but I am not sure where the likely failure points are.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I saw the allen head on the outside and it looked pretty flimsy, the 13mm nut is on the inside.

Did I do it wrong?

OK Amos, you're showing the attachment bracket allen bolts, not the kickstand pivot? I'll check them as well but I am not sure where the likely failure points are.
Take a better look at the pic bud. It has all the clamping points in it. Essentially it's best to check all of them. Only trying to help.
I recognise you like to do your own handy work, the 2014 monster 1200 manual can be found online where other than a few small body work differences, the SS is the same. You can use the 1200 manual for instruction.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I am confused by your instructions Amos and referring to the Monster. Looking at the photo, I tightened the bolt attached to #1 from the backside, but didn't consider the allen head #2. I'll give them a shot.

Update: I took an 8mm T wrench to the accessible one and it was solid, couldn't get access to the one behind the kickstand.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am confused by your instructions Amos and referring to the Monster. Looking at the photo, I tightened the bolt attached to #1 from the backside, but didn't consider the allen head #2. I'll give them a shot.

Update: I took an 8mm T wrench to the accessible one and it was solid, couldn't get access to the one behind the kickstand.
Yes, it's the two M10 bolts with allen heads marked #2 in the photo that tend to loosen and should be re-torqued occasionally.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the bolts work loose and destroy the threads in the lower bolt. I had them helicoiled bu they came loose again. A couple of weeks ago I took the whole thing apart and used Loctite 243 on re-assembly. 200 miles later still solid. I have to say I have never had this issue on other Ducatis I've owned with the same sort of side stand mounting.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I had the bolts work loose and destroy the threads in the lower bolt. I had them helicoiled bu they came loose again. A couple of weeks ago I took the whole thing apart and used Loctite 243 on re-assembly. 200 miles later still solid. I have to say I have never had this issue on other Ducatis I've owned with the same sort of side stand mounting.
You've been lucky. A hasty internet search for "Ducati loose sidestand" will give you enough results to take a full day to go through.

Torque wet with Locktite 262. The 243 will likely be fine, check it at every oil change.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
@mvaug10087

Sorry this happened and glad you've fixed it before it got dropped or worse.

If you haven't already, cruise through the maintenance sections...lots of posts on this issue and others you might also read through about the SS.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm still confused about which bolts are coming loose. Is it the single one that mounts the stand to the plate or the ones mounting the plate to the engine.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm still confused about which bolts are coming loose. Is it the single one that mounts the stand to the plate or the ones mounting the plate to the engine.
All of the ones I've seen are the M10 Allen bolts. Labeled #2 in the attached diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
All of the ones I've seen are the M10 Allen bolts. Labeled #2 in the attached diagram.
That's odd. Those bolts are 24nm. The fairing bracket feels like a vibration damper. Ok I'll check mine next time I'm in the garage. 24nm plus the fairing bracket. I can't remember if the plate mount is plastic or alloy but I remember it being very light.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's odd. Those bolts are 24nm. The fairing bracket feels like a vibration damper. Ok I'll check mine next time I'm in the garage. 24nm plus the fairing bracket. I can't remember if the plate mount is plastic or alloy but I remember it being very light.
#2 bolts are the M10x1.5, 42Nm with threadlock.

Not 24Nm, that's the M8 bolt #9 in the diagram.

Attachments

Reactions: amoslws

·
Registered
232 Posts
Remember to check your side stand bolts. Mine was so loose, that it very nearly fell off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts