Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Coming home today, was lane splitting (filtering) when a driver decided to change lanes and didn't see me (aka SMIDSY). Left side mirror and side case is trashed but luckily I didn't go down. Now have to deal with insurance.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
450 Posts
Yikes !!! Scary stuff, good job not going down, could have been way worse...:surprise:

Reactions: spartan1984

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Oh boy you were lucky ! Glad you never ended up under a wheel. That’s the risk you take when lane splitting. Most of the cars you pass never see you coming up on them and when they. One out they only think of the gap they can get into between the car coming up behind. They don’t look for a bike splitting. Cross one of those spare lives off the list. I have no idea how many I have left with the close calls over the years.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, could've been a lot worse. I hate that part of the ride as there is always so much congestion in that area. The witness complimented me on my ridng skills (in keeping the Concours upright and not going down) 😁 Bike is rideable but weird not having a mirror, doing a lot of shoulder checks on the ride in this morning.
@Rhino, man I'm using up those spare lives...2014 was sideswiped by a pick up truck and did go down. Bike hit curb, I rolled and somehow missed a tree, signs and one of those concrete grates that are in the ground. 3 broken ribs, 5 stitches in my leg, torn tendon in right thumb, huge contusion on left hip and 5 months of PT.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Glad you're safe. Good job keeping the the bike up. I had the same thing happen to me, snapped the pin from fairing front where it locks into the headlamp. I didn't have a camera and the the driver said that I rode into the back. No insurance support for me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Filtering does have its dangers, I filter a lot on the M25, the cagers should be used to bikes filtering as it’s been legal forever in the UK, but they still try and get you. Glad you were unscathed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Glad you're safe. Good job keeping the the bike up. I had the same thing happen to me, snapped the pin from fairing front where it locks into the headlamp. I didn't have a camera and the the driver said that I rode into the back. No insurance support for me.
That sucks about the insurance issue. I use the GoPro everyday on my commute for situations just like yesterday, seen too much **** happen because drivers aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I always make a point of avoiding blind spots. I usually go left and right in my lane and make sure my headlight bounces in the driver's mirrors. When I meet a car I like to make eye contact with the driver so I know he sees me and won't turn into my lane.

In the old days, I used to go like **** and pass everyone fast enough where they couldn't touch me if they wanted to but the increased speeding enforcement now has hampered my use of that safety effort now.

Lane splitting isn't legal here. I think it would be a great advantage for motorcyclists to move traffic along. Your post does show the risks of not being seen. I will say that you were going quickly and there were lots of gaps where traffic can change lanes.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct, drivers see gaps and try to move into them quickly, **** the consequences especially if you are on a bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice save. That experience would mess up my underwear.
It was definitely a pucker moment.

On another note, I'm being blasted on the Concours website for encroaching on the cagers space, making a dangerous pass (mind you that I already completed 10 miles of filtering) and not slowing down to allow her to change lanes (even though I wasn't speeding, I had already passed her rear fender, and she hadn't used a turn signal). It's all good, and of course lessons learned. Bottom line, I get to see another day, THANK GOD.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It was definitely a pucker moment.

On another note, I'm being blasted on the Concours website for encroaching on the cagers space, making a dangerous pass (mind you that I already completed 10 miles of filtering) and not slowing down to allow her to change lanes (even though I wasn't speeding, I had already passed her rear fender, and she hadn't used a turn signal). It's all good, and of course lessons learned. Bottom line, I get to see another day, THANK GOD.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
After an experience my added tactic is to watch out for open gaps between cars in the same lane. If a car can get in, it will definitely turn. 3 types of drivers, ones that try to kill you, ones that definitely want to and then crazy bonkers carmageddon drivers

·
Registered
439 Posts
It was definitely a pucker moment. <br />
<br />
<br />
Ha that Concours post was a good read. I would not have posted that there. Car people don't get it. And the people saying it was her right also are not familiar with CA law not to mention probably don't use turn signals either.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I regret posting anything in that forum, so juvenile and at times condescending.

Reactions: Rhino
1 - 20 of 58 Posts