Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all

After many years of dreaming i finally bought my duc (supersport-s white)... it has not been deliver to me yet... the dealer does not know when... it is paid in full... and that is why I am sleepless in Virginia

DucatiAngel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, all

After many years of dreaming i finally bought my duc (supersport-s white)... it has not been deliver to me yet... the dealer does not know when... it is paid in full... and that is why I am sleepless in Virginia

DucatiAngel
Would be willing to post how much your paid for your SSS?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great choice of bike and welcome to the forum, tell us a little about you? What bike are you coming from?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would be willing to post how much your paid for your SSS?
between 16.5 and 17 K I think most dealers in Virginia are charging about the same. Locality taxes where you garage the bike may change the final number

·
Registered
397 Posts
woa...paid in full?? Yikes! I only had to put $500 down. Then again...I had to wait SIX MONTHS to get it :) Which is probably why I still bought it even when they announced the ~$1300 in fake, junk fees on top of the price. Should have walked away....but I was already spellbound. They had me :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
woa...paid in full?? Yikes! I only had to put $500 down. Then again...I had to wait SIX MONTHS to get it :) Which is probably why I still bought it even when they announced the ~$1300 in fake, junk fees on top of the price. Should have walked away....but I was already spellbound. They had me :)
I said I was bewitched... lost my mind.... >:) it is like being in love

·
Registered
374 Posts
The Ducati Death Tax (dealer set-up). For whatever it's worth, the last two Ducs I've bought ('15 Hyperstrada and ' 17 Supersport S), not one penny in dealer fees other than a relatively minuscule freight fee that was on the factory invoice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well i believe the freight and dealer setup fee is them unboxing the bike from the crate, putting anything together that they need to, inspecting the bike and making sure it has the appropriate fluids and is safe to ride on the road. Or something like that...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Gotta be ready to walk away when they pull up crap like that. Unfortunately, I was not.

i did, however, take my financing elsewhere because of it and told them I did not want the extra warranty they were peddling so hard, telling them that I couldn't buy it because they had already taken that money in junk fees. I doubt they felt any pain over those....but it made me feel better :)

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I think that they're BS, but there isn't a lot we can do. Seems like several of us are getting hit with this "freight and setup" fee crap!

http://www.ducatisupersport939.net/...id-you-pay-your-supersport-s-3.html#post40025
I attended the Supersport national launch on monday night. My dealer in South Africa was absolutely shocked when I mentioned how the USA dealers are ripping off the people. He said that Ducati give the MSRP and that's what it must be sold at. Strange the USA is getting away with this behaviour. My first question would be to ask if your dealer is an official and authorised ducati dealer and not some bent 3rd level dealer that procures the bike from an official dealer. Hey even I have ducati signs in my garage. As mentioned, official dealers are given the sales price so that ducati can get the bike to market and grow its customer base.
Perhaps make a mention of the true msrp value. I realise I am harping on but never would my country tolerate such BS service like you guys put up with.
At least you know if you do come to SA you will get premium service where ever you go, thanks to the good old south african arrogance. Not much political correctness going on here. Go kick up a storm and stop tolerating the BS the USA is being fed.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
@amoslws - So, what you're saying is that the MSRP includes shipping. See, I've looked and looked and can't find a definitive answer to that over the years...at least not here in the states. US car prices list MSRP, without freight which typically runs around $450USD. You very well may be correct in that this is price gouging, but I find it very hard to believe that Ducati doesn't know about this practice, thus, the reason I assumed that the freight and setup fees were legit. Negotiable, perhaps, but legit none-the-less. Maybe you're correct, but at this point in time what can we do? I'll be sure and relay my indigestion of the charge and see what they say.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
@amoslws - So, what you're saying is that the MSRP includes shipping. See, I've looked and looked and can't find a definitive answer to that over the years...at least not here in the states. US car prices list MSRP, without freight which typically runs around $450USD. You very well may be correct in that this is price gouging, but I find it very hard to believe that Ducati doesn't know about this practice, thus, the reason I assumed that the freight and setup fees were legit. Negotiable, perhaps, but legit none-the-less. Maybe you're correct, but at this point in time what can we do? I'll be sure and relay my indigestion of the charge and see what they say.
That's how my dealer explained it. The msrp is the prescribed price by ducati italy. That price is negotiated on local market feel. The additional that you guys pay for should be for the dealers expense account. You should not be paying for the container.
The setup if I understand correctly is the mandatory PDI that must be done by the dealer, again that is their expense not yours. Without the PDI the bike will not run and also not give the service warning signs, it's in the servicing where the dealer claws back his expenses - unfortunately.
They have to program the ECU and oil fill etc. These are dealer responsibilities.
The problem is the mark-up is limited by ducati, I think it's only 15% so your dealers are scraping more off by getting you to pay for what should be the dealer expense.
For example, instead of 15% indicated by ducati they now get 20% by pulling the wool over your eyes and clearly it's working. I would find a way to get this reported to the ducati in italy. your dealers are inadvertently yet directly stressing the ducati brand whilst ducati are trying to grow its market share.
Sorry it's a bit of a mouthful but unethical business conduct seriously pees me off.

Of all the nations on this forum it is only the USA that is doing it. I could be wrong but I do not recall any EU, Africa, Australasia buyers reporting such conduct by their dealers.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've talked to two dealers in michigan and they were the same for the setup fee and freight, so, either they are colluding, or this is a normal thing around here :/

·
Registered
107 Posts
Freight is charged by Ducati (and Triumph, BMW, Harley and probably others), the setup fee is the money the dealership charge for assembling the bike. Some dealers reduce the cost of the bike to make it seem like there's no dealer fee, I've yet to see it omitted on a sales order as it's typically a preprinted field...at least with every single dealer I've ever bought a motorcycle or vehicle from in GA or SC, maybe it's different elsewhere. I got quotes from 3 different dealers in the last 2 weeks and they all wanted full price for the SS, rough trade it on my Multi plus freight, setup, doc fees, tax, tag & title.

MSRP = Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. If supply is below demand and dealers want to charge a premium over the MSRP that is allowed. Nearly any limited edition car has an additional charge over and above MSRP, this isn't a new practice. While the SS isn't limited edition, but is limited quantity, if a dealer wants to charge an overage and someone is willing to pay it...so be it. If it offends you...wait like everyone else who thinks anything over MSRP is ridiculous.

If you go to the Ducati USA website and look at a bike that doesn't have it's own design heavy marketing page, you'll see this info as copied from the Panigale 1299 S info:

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
@amoslws - it seems that Ducati is well aware of the practice and even warns us in advance on their website that gouging may happen. Good 'ole America - where Capitalism is alive and well!

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Also, we should move part of this thread to a new thread called "Price Gouging". Maybe Ducati would see it if they were searching the web, otherwise its just buried in an obscure thread never to be seen by anybody but us.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, all

DucatiAngel
Hello DucatiAngel! Was wondering if you got yours from Coleman Powersports, (I hail from Southern MD) and what your experience was? I bought mine from the Falls Church location, and so far it has NOT been smooth. Just wondering if you weren't using them and maybe you had a better experience somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts