Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 2+ years in service my check engine light finally lit up on my way home from work. A bit anxious and sad I rode home at a very slow pace and went straight into this forum. After some reading I decided to check the exhaust valve mechanism.

I unscrewed the two top screws of the exhaust valve cover and as I went for the third, of course the head got stripped, even though I had read about this from a different post and tried taking great care and even lubing the screw beforehand. Nevertheless the exhaust valve cover could still be bent down enough to expose the valve which I could move easily by hand. I lubed it up, started the engine and blipped the gas. No movement at all. I figured, darn it, the servo motor has probably given in.

Following the wire back from the valve to the servo motor I came into a pleasant surprise. The wire head had simply popped out of its position in the servo motor rotating piece! Not sure how this has happened though. I pulled the wire up with a polygrip and put the head back into position. However there are two slots where the head can be placed and I'm not sure which is correct. I've put it in the lower slot and the CEL is still on when I turn on the bike.

1. Can someone please verify which position the wire head should be in?

2. Will the CEL turn off by itself? If so when? Or do I need to buy an OBD adaptor and reader to clear it myself?

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I had my CEL come on, I also undid that wire to make sure nothing was wrong with servo motor. When I reattached it, I had turned the motor by hand so it was in the wrong position, so I just put the wire back where it fit. Upon first key on, the motor went through the full possible motion until the valve was fully opened, and then returned back.

In short, you shouldn’t need to worry about it. Just reattach the wire and that should be it.

-edit- my light didn’t go out by itself, I needed to get an ODB2 reader and the Ducati adapter cable to reset it.

·
Registered
Ducati SuperSport S 2017
30 Posts
This exact issue happened to me the other day, and I had always promised myself that if anything ever went wrong with this system that I would replace it with a dongle. The control wire seemed stiff, so I removed the cover on the exhaust system to get access to the exhaust value itself.
The exhaust valve and spring assembly seemed stiff, so I sprayed it with some WD40 to see what was going on. This did loosen it up a little, but it became clear that the valve was sticking on the inside.

In fact, the valve was not returning to the fully open position (which I believe to be the default position from the spring) and was never more than half open. To get it to the fully open position, I had to tap it with a hammer and a screwdriver. After a few tries of working the assembly backwards and forwards, it failed to loosen up.

So I forced it back into the fully open position, removed the redundant servo and control wire, fitted the dongle, cleared the code, and all is good ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
This exact issue happened to me the other day, and I had always promised myself that if anything ever went wrong with this system that I would replace it with a dongle. The control wire seemed stiff, so I removed the cover on the exhaust system to get access to the exhaust value itself.
The exhaust valve and spring assembly seemed stiff, so I sprayed it with some WD40 to see what was going on. This did loosen it up a little, but it became clear that the valve was sticking on the inside.

In fact, the valve was not returning to the fully open position (which I believe to be the default position from the spring) and was never more than half open. To get it to the fully open position, I had to tap it with a hammer and a screwdriver. After a few tries of working the assembly backwards and forwards, it failed to loosen up.

So I forced it back into the fully open position, removed the redundant servo and control wire, fitted the dongle, cleared the code, and all is good ;)
What does the dongle look like? Where did you get it?

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: Matt and Boe
1 - 6 of 6 Posts