Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I like your creative yet methodical approach. Hope to see videos.
Watched my Videos and although there is a big difference in 0 clicks and 16 clicks (rebound dampening) I am finding the standard 6 clicks to be ideal as far as I can tell so far , but you can see that compression dampening needs to be attended to so will do the same process with that. Videos will follow at some stage :grin2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm a track n00b and officially nicknamed Captain Slow, but I rode 2 days on the Pannonia Ring in Hungary last month on the demo SSS from the dealer (awaiting mine which I have now), and it was awesome. I agree with both mercer854 and Rhino that the bike definitely needs to be set up and tuned to the rider. The stock settings are for an average street rider weighing around 82-85kg ... That's not me, and it's hardly fit for the track. The other thing I agree with 100% is that the front setup is a lot more finicky and needs time to be done right. It's worth the time, as once it is dialed in, it makes a big difference. Surprisingly, the Rosso IIIs held up much better than I imagined, once I took enough air out of the front and more out of the rear. Next time, however, I'm getting slicks to save the Rosso IIIs for the twisties in the mountains.

One tip regarding the tuning, if you haven't discovered Dave Moss Tuning yet, check him out. He offers free vids as a teaser and full-length SuperSport S setup videos for a few bucks. So worth it. And he answers questions you may have regarding specific issues. Very very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/user/CatalystReactionSBW

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
I'm a track n00b and officially nicknamed Captain Slow, but I rode 2 days on the Pannonia Ring in Hungary last month on the demo SSS from the dealer (awaiting mine which I have now), and it was awesome. I agree with both mercer854 and Rhino that the bike definitely needs to be set up and tuned to the rider. The stock settings are for an average street rider weighing around 82-85kg ... That's not me, and it's hardly fit for the track. The other thing I agree with 100% is that the front setup is a lot more finicky and needs time to be done right. It's worth the time, as once it is dialed in, it makes a big difference. Surprisingly, the Rosso IIIs held up much better than I imagined, once I took enough air out of the front and more out of the rear. Next time, however, I'm getting slicks to save the Rosso IIIs for the twisties in the mountains.

One tip regarding the tuning, if you haven't discovered Dave Moss Tuning yet, check him out. He offers free vids as a teaser and full-length SuperSport S setup videos for a few bucks. So worth it. And he answers questions you may have regarding specific issues. Very very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/user/CatalystReactionSBW
Did you try the "pay" SS vid? Tell us more about it please. E.g. How much? How long? Any suggested guidelines? Etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a few laps recently at NY Safety Track with a non "S", and it surprised me on how well it performed.
Didn't play with any settings. Just rode it hard, and it was great fun, no complaints.
Thumbs way up as a trackday bike for sure.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I did a few laps recently at NY Safety Track with a non "S", and it surprised me on how well it performed.
Didn't play with any settings. Just rode it hard, and it was great fun, no complaints.
Thumbs way up as a trackday bike for sure.
Yeah I was quite surprised too with how well it handled, confidence inspiring hey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice review by mercer854. I've done 8 CSS track days on the BMW S1000RR at Sonoma(6) and 2 at THW. Would not want to ride the BMW on the street but on the track it's a great tool. These bikes are set up perfectly and mine was box stock . The SSS was so nice to ride in that it did everything well and at the end of the sessions I was still able walk normally. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I had Strava turned on my phone and it said my lap times were around 1min 37 sec. I have no idea how this compares to others but I was about mid pack in the fast group. This was at Thunderhill west. The BMW has better brakes, better electronics and way more power, but given the choice, I'd ride my SSS all day, just because it's so much more comfortable. I'm 67 and am getting a new knee next week so my opinion of the true sportbikes may change. If I wanted a bike just for the track, I'd get a Pani or a RR or some other sportbike for sure, but since I ride mainly on the street, the SSS is the perfect bike for me. I'm looking forward to getting the suspension dialed in and trying it again.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Nice review by mercer854. I've done 8 CSS track days on the BMW S1000RR at Sonoma(6) and 2 at THW. Would not want to ride the BMW on the street but on the track it's a great tool. These bikes are set up perfectly and mine was box stock . The SSS was so nice to ride in that it did everything well and at the end of the sessions I was still able walk normally. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I had Strava turned on my phone and it said my lap times were around 1min 37 sec. I have no idea how this compares to others but I was about mid pack in the fast group. This was at Thunderhill west. The BMW has better brakes, better electronics and way more power, but given the choice, I'd ride my SSS all day, just because it's so much more comfortable. I'm 67 and am getting a new knee next week so my opinion of the true sportbikes may change. If I wanted a bike just for the track, I'd get a Pani or a RR or some other sportbike for sure, but since I ride mainly on the street, the SSS is the perfect bike for me. I'm looking forward to getting the suspension dialed in and trying it again.
What a great post about the versatility of the SS/SSS.

I recently had my first track day. In the paddock next to me was an S1000RR and to the other side a Yamaha R1. Both were very experienced riders and I was spellbound with how much speed they could carry into the corners.

Anyways, both rode behind me for coaching and gave me some great tips. I was very impressed with their skills and they were very impressed I rode the bike 200+ miles home after a full day on the track.

Hope we hear more from you!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts