Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on a ride this weekend on my SSS with a group of Panigales and V4s. And she was able to hang with them. If you watch the video im up front behind the group leader, I was the only one on a SSS. In my opinion the SSS is almost the perfect bike. Comfort, handling, technology with just enough power on the streets for loads of funnnnn. All wrapped up in a pretty little package.
Enjoy the show

https://youtu.be/sSg2aUGngCM?fbclid=IwAR0-WoE2YcmFyzSH_YClocvzn7uI5oZLLNfZeiRx_8vGdhQHVmG2R5TU7RQ

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Yes, the Supersport is a well-balanced motorcycle. That, and its broad spread of torque, makes for a great road bike. Its forgiving nature makes it easy to ride fast. Don't expect to keep up with a Pani or V4 on the track but.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, the Supersport is a well-balanced motorcycle. That, and its broad spread of torque, makes for a great road bike. Its forgiving nature makes it easy to ride fast. Don't expect to keep up with a Pani or V4 on the track but.
For sure on the track there is no contest, the Pani and V4 are track weapons. But for the street they are way more than you need. The SSS is just right for street riding and extremely fun bike to ride fast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just envy you!

I'm in Pakistan and my white beauty is in Germany

:crying::crying::crying::crying:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Its forgiving nature makes it easy to ride fast. Don't expect to keep up with a Pani or V4 on the track but.
Absolutely correct, the SS won't be be able to keep the Panigales in sight on race track straights, but how important is that? Unless you are racing, do track days several times per year or live next to the Cherohala Parkway or similar roadways, it's just not relevant to most bikers. The SS is the sport bike for the real world.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
As said many times, with the torquey engine, higher bars, perfect brakes, agility and lightweight for many the SS is a quicker and better choice on the streets and into the twisties than a full-on sports bike. On the track, the horsepower and aggressive suspension pays off. Of course rider's skills trumps all.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
450 Posts
I simply envy you cause my SSS is in garage under cover waiting for sub zero temps and snow to go away...:crying:

Lucky warm climate Cali people !!!! :wink2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As said many times, with the torquey engine, higher bars, perfect brakes, agility and lightweight for many the SS is a quicker and better choice on the streets and into the twisties than a full-on sports bike. On the track, the horsepower and aggressive suspension pays off. Of course rider's skills trumps all.
One of the reasons I made this post is because I keep hearing people say its a beginners bike. I had a chance to ride it at a Ducati track day in Fontana. I road in the intermediate group and was about mid pack, only 1/2 second between first to last, with the majority of the group on V4s and Panigales.
One guy with a V4 wants to ride his SSS with me next time.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
One of the reasons I made this post is because I keep hearing people say its a beginners bike. I had a chance to ride it at a Ducati track day in Fontana. I road in the intermediate group and was about mid pack, only 1/2 second between first to last, with the majority of the group on V4s and Panigales.
One guy with a V4 wants to ride his SSS with me next time.
I suspect most people on this forum will acknowledge it is much more than a beginner's bike :wink2:

I can't think of many other bikes that are so easy to ride they might be considered OK as a beginners bike, but are a complete package that will keep high end bikes honest.

Preaching to the choir, I know....

Reactions: DanSS939

·
Registered
522 Posts
I suspect most people on this forum will acknowledge it is much more than a beginner's bike :wink2:
Beginner's bike? At 110 HP, 465 lbs and $13-15k pricing? I think not. What you are hearing is "ego talk", those who think anything less than a 200 HP superbike is for wimps. Most of those who belittle bikes like the SS can't ride their superbikes anywhere near their potential, and that's much more common in superbikes than supercars.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Beginner's bike? At 110 HP, 465 lbs and $13-15k pricing? I think not. What you are hearing is "ego talk", those who think anything less than a 200 HP superbike is for wimps. Most of those who belittle bikes like the SS can't ride their superbikes anywhere near their potential, and that's much more common in superbikes than supercars.
There is an argument for a single purchase, such as the Supersport, that lets a rider grow in their abilities.

Let's face it, who wants to buy a 250, then a 600, before graduating to the 'big' bike you always wanted. Back in the seventies, you could learn on a K series 750 Honda, a Z1. No restrictions.

Then they decided to place restrictions and the 250 two-strokes were born. RZ, RG, KR... I digress.

But you're right about people buying superbikes, that they are totally unable to get the most (or even a small part of it) out of. It cracks me up to see a superbike with the centre tread worn flat and chicken strips so wide you wonder if the bike was only used in a straight line. You see it with high-end cars as well. I can tell you stories about following Porsches in a pushrod engined V8 ute and seeing the back of the Porsche step out because the driver thought to have a Porsche made them a Senna but they had no idea how to drive.

When anyone starts banging on (and on) about maximum HP and top speed I leave them to it. When people talk about torque, damping, clearance and the like I'll listen. Much the same as most who frequent this forum.

Reactions: mijube and DanSS939

·
Registered
46 Posts
A beginners bike? I don't think so, unless all you read is magazine road tests and stats. Its an easy bike to ride quickly because it is so well thought out, and it is flattering to the averagely talented rider, but a real tool for a talented rider on public roads. As has been said before on this forum, if it had an extra 40hp the perception would change to it being an advanced riders bike, but in reality all it would mean is that it went faster on the stright bits! I think the ss is the most underated machine Ducati makes and am sad that they don't develop it a bit more. Funny how things have changed, a beginners bike in my world was an air cooled RD250 with a nice flexi frame!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
This bike is so easy to ride, I can imagine a well heeled beginner would like it. Just be good enough rider not to drop it. For most folks Id recommend an SV650 but if you have the cash, why not?

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Beginner bike for me was a lawnmower engine (a story in itself--direct drive between a cut off end of a baseball bat, jammed on output shaft and tire) that I mounted on a bicycle when I was about 12 years old. Long before having even a scrap of cash for a used dirt bike and even longer for a license!

Working on lawn mower engines in my pre-teen years was good fun for me and my buddies. I engineered a RAM Air scoop on mine, that was the talk of the Hood.

Haha... Well, at least until the LEOs caught me and my buddies riding the lawnmower engined motorbikes through the neighborhood (never found out who turned us in!)... I almost got away! But made a silly mistake...and got caught. Another story...

When the policeman brought me to me Dad, he listened carefully to the policeman, unloaded my bike from the trunk of the cop car, then my Dad never said another word to me again. And we all know what happened...the rest is history, as they say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Beginner bike for me was a lawnmower engine (a story in itself--direct drive between a cut off end of a baseball bat, jammed on output shaft and tire) that I mounted on a bicycle when I was about 12 years old. Long before having even a scrap of cash for a used dirt bike and even longer for a license!

Working on lawn mower engines in my pre-teen years was good fun for me and my buddies. I engineered a RAM Air scoop on mine, that was the talk of the Hood.

Haha... Well, at least until the LEOs caught me and my buddies riding the lawnmower engined motorbikes through the neighborhood (never found out who turned us in!)... I almost got away! But made a silly mistake...and got caught. Another story...

When the policeman brought me to me Dad, he listened carefully to the policeman, unloaded my bike from the trunk of the cop car, then my Dad never said another word to me again. And we all know what happened...the rest is history, as they say.
My dad bought me a Kawasaki 90 dirt bike when I was 9 years old, but seldom took me out to ride so I started riding in my back yard, and when that got small I started riding on the streets of my neighborhood. I was hooked. My mom never forgave him for buying it for me:grin2:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Beginners bikes in my day were Honda Sport 50s, Super 90s and Yamaha Twin-Jet 100s!
My dad was trying to find a Sport 50 a few months ago because that was his first “real” street bike and ended up with a Super 90 instead. Those were great bikes, true beginner machines that bring nothing but smiles when you ride them.

My first was a Z50, first clutch bike was an XL80S, and first street bike was/is my ‘75 CL360, also another good beginner bike.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Yamaha Trail 80 when I was 11. Rode it all over the farm and dirt roads.

Reactions: Ed K and DanSS939
1 - 20 of 31 Posts