Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well....I thought it would really be a challenge and that I would be in considerable pain when I got back from the ride, but not a bit of it. The ergonomics work really well.

Lovely engine, excellent gearbox and quickshifter, all in just the right places.

The acceleration is absolutely intoxicating to the extent that I kept hanging back from traffic just so I could drop a gear and blat past. Handling and brakes absolutely impeccable (which I expected).

The thing that really blew me away was just how easy it all was. I was out in 4 - 5 degrees Centigrade weather on a mixture of dry and damp road, some with mud on them from farm vehicles. The bike never gave me any moments to worry about and felt completely planted throughout, despite me giving the cornering ability a good test :) . I went on a mix of Motorway, A roads (highways equiv.?) and small roads through towns and villages. No point having a bike that can't do the boring stuff as well as the more, ahem, performance stuff. Nothing to worry about - the bike was quite happy and perfectly easy to handle at lower speeds.

So in short I loved it and I am still thinking about it and whether I would swap out the SS....jury is still out on that although the Supersports ability to take luggage on the back is really good and probably more reflects the sort of riding I *really* do.

Switchgear is the same as the Supersport so falls to hands and fingers in a lovely familiar way. It has a good clear full colour TFT dash which tells you what you need to know.

Bad points : No fuel gauge - really?....REALLY!? Apparently the tank is of such a shape that Ducati can't fit a fuel sender unit in there....Hmmmm,....there is a fuel light which comes on when you need to fill up, but who knows how many miles you have left?
Also : the sidestand is a bugger to operate until you have the knack.

·
Registered
525 Posts
One of the reasons I made this post is because I keep hearing people say its a beginners bike. I had a chance to ride it at a Ducati track day in Fontana. I road in the intermediate group and was about mid pack, only 1/2 second between first to last, with the majority of the group on V4s and Panigales.
One guy with a V4 wants to ride his SSS with me next time.
Back when I use to frequent track days, hordes of riders were on Suzuki 650s, which was by far the most popular track bike at the time even among a lot of long-time riders.

Something else to keep in mind is that the Supersport has the same HP as the GP-winning Ducati in the mid-90s.

There’s a video floating around with Nicky Hayden riding a Hypermotard on a track. If you can’t squeeze that kind of performance from a 110hp bike, you don’t need 200hp or even 150hp.

I think it’s relatively inexperienced riders saying the SS is a beginner bike; it’s just ridiculous.

Look at how many 50+ riders are on this board. We’re experienced and gravitate toward the Supersport, because we know what makes for a good sport bike. The V4 is amazing. But it’s their showpiece.

·
Super Moderator
5,405 Posts
I might guess Ed, that bike probably tachs up pretty freaking quick once on the cam, particularly with Ducati close gearing.
Some interesting statistics below...

SS
* Primary drive - Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.84:1
* Ratio - 1=37/15 2=30/17 3=28/20 4=26/22 5=24/23 6=23/24
* Final drive - Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 43

V2
* Primary drive - Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.77:1
* Ratio - 1=37/15 2=30/16 3=27/18 4=25/20 5=24/22 6=23/24
* Final drive - Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 43

Not surprisingly, the V2 primary gear ratio is lower than the SS, that in turn spins the clutch faster than the SS at a given RPM, presumably for higher top speed. But also would result in some loss of torque because of this...in addition the character of the V2 engine itself producing less torque than the SS at lower RPM.

So it should be a pretty obvious difference in the feel of the SS pulling harder at lower RPM for reasons of not only the engine character, but also the gearing.

But still, there's nothing like seat of the pants experience. Stay tuned for my perspective coming soon.

In the meantime, interesting to hear from others who have already ridden the V2.

·
Super Moderator
5,405 Posts
Ooops... I took a deeper dive into the V2 and off the original thread topic. If the V2 discussion continues, should probably take it over to the V2 thread...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went on a ride this weekend on my SSS with a group of Panigales and V4s. And she was able to hang with them. If you watch the video im up front behind the group leader, I was the only one on a SSS. In my opinion the SSS is almost the perfect bike. Comfort, handling, technology with just enough power on the streets for loads of funnnnn. All wrapped up in a pretty little package.
Enjoy the show

https://youtu.be/sSg2aUGngCM?fbclid=IwAR0-WoE2YcmFyzSH_YClocvzn7uI5oZLLNfZeiRx_8vGdhQHVmG2R5TU7RQ
Is it a good motorcycle route in your country? Looks like a German Autobahn. Goes almost straight on and there are only slight curves. You can't test the handling on a route like this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well....I thought it would really be a challenge and that I would be in considerable pain when I got back from the ride, but not a bit of it. The ergonomics work really well.
Bikes like the Panigale work really well on race tracks, less so on the street. The engines are tuned for top end power (at the expense of mid-range), the suspensions tend to be stiff (to handle severe braking) and the riding positions uncomfortable (to keep the rider out of the airstream at speed and position him/her for cornering), but all this is forgiven while screaming down a track straightaway.

Horses for courses. On the track, give me a Panigale. I've road raced a Ducati and owned pure sports bikes (748R and MV F3). On the street, Monsters, Multis and our SS make a lot more sense. But it's your money, so spend it how you choose.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts