Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Has anyone had any issues removing the standard exhaust? Just got a Delkevic stainless one to fit and really struggling to get the standard on off.

I've had a look on the forum and Youtube and not realy found anything useful.

I've removed the bolts either side of the cat and the one in the centre near she shock, loosened off the clip on the bottom of the rear manifold. Also loosened the three bolts at the top of the downpipe so there's now some play in it all..
I can pull back on the exhaust and there's plenty of movement back and forward but nothing up and down. As far as i can see i've got everything ready to go?
Can't seem to get any play in the connection between the o2 sensor downpipe and the exhaust box.

The exhaust i have connects to the existing downpipes so i've not had to remove the o2 sensor.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
@mark966 Lots of Members here who have removed the standard exhaust...

As Members chime in, here’s a few threads you might have already found...

Also, FYI, will move this thread to Exhaust section of Forum.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
One of the local guys with an SS also installed at Delkevic. He told me the biggest part of the job was getting the stock exhaust off it. It must be a real hassle.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just cut it off because it will never go on the bike again
Not even when you sell the bike? I tend to take all my aftermarket parts off and sell them separately when I change bikes. I find you get more money that way; leaving an aftermarket exhaust on a bike doesn't add anything to it's resale value. Better the money in your pocket than with the Dealer or new owner, if it's a private sale you can always offer the aftermarket parts up to the perspective buyer at a price. My thoughts anyway ;) unless you plan to keep the bike forever and run it into the ground 😅

·
Registered
2020 Ducati Supersport
11 Posts
I had to take off the O2 sensor and the header pipe before mine would drop. I am also installing a O2 sensor delete and Servo delete because Im remapping my fuel when I flash the ecu. I just took the stock exhaust off mine yesterday and I have never felt so mechanically challenged the way that removal made me feel. It is the most difficult exhaust removal I've ever been apart of and certainly requires the right tools. I also have the stainless Delk I am installing tomorrow but I thought I would be clever and take the exhaust off before receiving the part and accidentally trashed the header down pipes thinking the Delk would come with its own. Receiving the part today I realized it does not, Do you know the size of the nuts/bolt that fasten the rear header pipe? I remember the nuts being 10mm but I cant find info on thread count

·
Registered
243 Posts
The key is to get any movement in it to loosen it. Don't just pull, try to wiggle, rotate, twist, ... And spray penetrating oil to the header connection before trying that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to add to this, I have removed mine to fit a new system, by far the easiest way for me was to remove the front header from the horizontal cylinder, whole thing just drops down dead easy.
Only fiddle was getting one of the header nuts back on. Torqued to 10NM.
Hope this helps someone, no pulling, shoving or chopping involved!

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,660 Posts
That route did occur to me too but I (foolishly) followed the route that everyone else had taken giving myself a load more work. I'd know better next time. Which I hope there won't be :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts