Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there all. Had an issue on the weekend. Started the bike as usual early AM. Went back an hour later to restart and ride . Bike turns over but wont fire. Has been like it since. Fuel pump makes the usual waking up noise and battery replaced . No error messages on dash. Any clues? cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Occasionally, at first attempt. Mine will crank over several times. Fire for a second or two. Then quit. Most times, it will fire right up on the next attempt.
Once in a while, it just refuses to stay lit & quits. This happens only at first attempts to start. Plenty of gas. Lithium battery less than a year old. Holds good charge. ( usually sitting at or above 13.9 volts )
I've put the multimeter on the bike at idle several times. Always charging at over 14 volts. It's a little mystery. ;)

For the most part. It fires right up.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
HI there all. Had an issue on the weekend. Started the bike as usual early AM. Went back an hour later to restart and ride . Bike turns over but wont fire. Has been like it since. Fuel pump makes the usual waking up noise and battery replaced . No error messages on dash. Any clues? cheers
What fuel are you running?

98 RON creates hard starting issues...

·
Registered
106 Posts
...does it indicate neutral on the display? Sorry for the silly question, but it won't start unless you have the "N" showing rather than the three "---" when you're between neutral, 1st or 2nd. Also, experienced more difficulty starting recently after riding through biblical rain and having the front cylinder cut out. Replaced the coil pack, made a HUGE difference both to the starting and running, much smoother and quicker.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I wonder if smells like a dry start? Happened to me once, when I disengaged the starter a little too soon- bike coughed and died. I had a devil of time starting it, could smell it. I think the computer was fooled to think the bike was hot and didn't enrich enough. I thought I was going to lose the battery and gave up. I waited 5 minutes and it started normal. Only time that's happened to me.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
66 Posts
I had a similar, yet different situation a couple of months ago. Bike wouldn't start one time until after I had cranked it 7-8 times. I was just about ready to give up for a little bit because I was afraid I was going to drain the battery too much. A day or two later, similar issue, but this time it started after about 5 times attempting to start it. Before and after those 2 times, no issues. I attributed my issues to bad gas???

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Supersport is not the easiest bike to start cold seems like to me. There could be something to do with the injectors or something like that. My issues sometimes cold start issues. It would fire but then stall. I have to occasionally try to start it 2-3 times before it would idle right. I have even try cycling the fuel pump twice before firing see if it made a difference which it didn't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Grahame At what point in the sequence of events was the battery replaced?
HI Ed K. the battery was replaced a couple of hours after the problem identified
What fuel are you running?

98 RON creates hard starting issues...
hi mate, always 95 unless 98 only option but it has never created an issue
I wonder if smells like a dry start? Happened to me once, when I disengaged the starter a little too soon- bike coughed and died. I had a devil of time starting it, could smell it. I think the computer was fooled to think the bike was hot and didn't enrich enough. I thought I was going to lose the battery and gave up. I waited 5 minutes and it started normal. Only time that's happened to me.
yes LowRyter, i have heard of that before and was told to turn the ignition off and on three times which resets the ECU . i have tried that on this occasion and no luck

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,750 Posts
@graham2366 Although not the exactly same symptoms, maybe starter relay? See around post #52 of this thread.

@Derek Any thoughts?
I don't think it is the starter relay that is the problem. In the other thread the starter operation was intermittent. Grahame's starter seems to work fine.
The fuel pump runs at ignition on so that would suggest that the relay is ok. The coils and injectors are powered from the same relay so they should be getting power too. The common element is the crank sensor. When the engine is turning, on the starter or under it's own power, the ECU responds to the signal from the CPS and turns the fuel pump relay back on and also uses the signal to time the spark and injectors. I would expect a faulty CPS to show a CEL in the dash but you never know. A diagnostic check would tell.
it is also worth checking fuses nos. 4 (15A) and 6 (5A) in fusebox B. These provide the permanent and switch 12V supplies to the ECU but I don't think the fuel pump would run if any of them were missing.

Of course it may be something else entirely. The local bike shop had a Honda CB1000RR in last week that the owner had tried to remove the alarm from and now it wouldn't start. The shop got me in to remove the alarm properly and restore normal operation. On checking it out I found that the alarm was simply a plug in option with no immobiliser capability so the bike wouldn't run for some other reason. It turned out it had simply run out of fuel! :LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts